NBC Sports Edge Forums

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Just now, vikingapocalypse said:

Just thought id leave this here.

Carry on.... 

200.gif

What a beast.   That’s what a true generational prospect looks like.    

:ph34r:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Carry on.... 

200.gif

Imagine if there was a RB prospect who was 15-20 pounds heavier, more explosive / athletic, and a much better receiver out of the backfield?

That guy would be scary 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/adrian-peterson-2007

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/saquon-barkley

(I love AP)

(I see Barkley as more of a bigger Tomlinson/Faulk style of RB)

I get why some people compare AP/Barkley regarding the hype, but completely different styles of RB with different skill sets. In terms of total yardage (receiving/rushing), I fully expect Barkley to put up similar stats - I don’t think he’ll touch AP’s rushing yards but Barkley >>> AP in the pass game. 

2 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Carry on.... 

200.gif

Watching those AP runs makes you realize how much of a QB league the NFL  is today. teams truly are not built to run anymore or even defend a pure runner, they are built to pass and defend the pass. That style of running truly wears down a defense by the 4th qtr. A rb like AP makes your high priced DE useless. nad punishes your undersized linebackers and your safety doesnt want to take him down as the last line defense bursting out of the hole.

26 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Watching those AP runs makes you realize how much of a QB league the NFL  is today. teams truly are not built to run anymore or even defend a pure runner, they are built to pass and defend the pass. That style of running truly wears down a defense by the 4th qtr. A rb like AP makes your high priced DE useless. nad punishes your undersized linebackers and your safety doesnt want to take him down as the last line defense bursting out of the hole.

Yep.  It’s why ILBs across the league are getting lighter.    Backs like Barkley are the norm now

42 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

It’s such a “QB league” - definitely why 90% of the top 10 running games made the playoffs this year 

Barkely projections this year? 950 rushing 600 receiving 

You really have a compulsion to demonstrate that you prefer your rhetoric over reality even at the cost of exposing yourself as clueless. :lol:

So let's add some context to your factoid those top playoff rushing teams also passed the ball more than they ran it. So as usual you make half baked statements as some sort of absolute truth.

Fact the NFL is a QB focused league even the team that ran the most rushing plays in the league JAX had more passing plays. Every coach claims they want to run the ball more because running is low risk, allows you to control the clock, keeps your opponents offense off the field and limits turnovers.  i

As a sidemote it's interestng that the titans who focus on running still pass quite a bit. 

Rush%   Pass%

Jacksonville Jaguars   48.9        51.1

Buffalo Bills 16              48.2        51.8

Carolina Panthers 16    47.8        52.2

Minnesota Vikings 16   47.5        52.5

Tennessee Titans 16     45.5        54.5

Los Angeles Rams 16   45.4        54.6

New Orleans Saints 16  44.4       55.6

Philadelphia Eagles 16   44.1      55.9

Atlanta Falcons 16          43.7       56.3

New England Patriots16 41.9      58.1

Pittsburgh Steelers 16    41.6       58.4

Kansas City Chiefs 16     41.1       58.9

8 hours ago, dashoe said:

Because passing and defending the pass win games and titles. 

AP's refusal to learn to be a receiving threat kept him from reaching his full potential. 

11 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Carry on.... 

200.gif

We don’t compare Saquon to one dimensional running backs like AP in this thread.  This thread is for contemplating  when Saquon will bypass all time greats like Barry Sanders.  

7 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

It’s such a “QB league” - definitely why 90% of the top 10 running games made the playoffs this year 

I mean, it is a QB league. Pretty much a factual statement.

9 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

def seems likely. TDs will be interesting as we know theyre hard to predict but i wont be surprised seeing him hogging the goaline snaps. theres zero reason for washed up J Stew to be in on that.  Shurmer had Lat Murray last year whos def a lot better than Stew. And Lat barely sniffed the field while Dalvin was healthy. 

11 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

We don’t compare Saquon to one dimensional running backs like AP in this thread.  This thread is for contemplating  when Saquon will bypass all time greats like Barry Sanders.  

Sanders, Dickerson and AP were all-time greats -- despite being one dimensional. 

Barkley should be compared to all-time great three down RBs like Faulk and Tomlinson if he reaches his full potential, even though neither was the pure runner that Dickerson, Sanders or AP were.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Sanders, Dickerson and AP were all-time greats -- despite being one dimensional. 

Barkley should be compared to all-time great three down RBs like Faulk and Tomlinson if he reaches his full potential, even though neither was the pure runner that Dickerson, Sanders or AP were.

That AP video  made inspired me to watch highlight vids of earl campbell, bo jackson, Herschel Walker and Walter Payton I don't know how those guy are not mentioned in the rb conversation.  They ran OVER people literally. They were human tanks. 

1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

AP and Barkley are not really comparable

AP runs harder, Barkley is more athletic and quite frankly a lot more of a dual threat 

Barkley is a 230 pound Marshall Faulk / Tomlinson - which I’d much rather have in 2018

How do you figure?

15 minutes ago, kdko said:

How do you figure?

Barkely is heavier, same 40, better vertical, better 20 yard shuttle ... watch his highlights and remind yourself it’s a 230+ pound human doing things like this 

Break Bosa’s ankles to instant hurdle of 6’3 defender ... the run against Maryland is absolutely ridiculous 

11 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Barkely is heavier, same 40, better vertical, better 20 yard shuttle ... watch his highlights and remind yourself it’s a 230+ pound human doing things like this 

I dunno, better vertical and shuffle =/= more athletic to me.  Comparing the athleticism between two athletes at the level of AP and Barkley is splitting hairs.  For every hurdle Barkley does, we can show a AP clip where he hit the circle button and continued on full speed.  Both are top notch

8 minutes ago, kdko said:

I dunno, better vertical and shuffle =/= more athletic to me.  Comparing the athleticism between two athletes at the level of AP and Barkley is splitting hairs.  For every hurdle Barkley does, we can show a AP clip where he hit the circle button and continued on full speed.  Both are top notch

I’m not basing this off a video and I’m not knocking AP 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/saquon-barkley

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/adrian-peterson-2007

Barkley’s athletic ability is truly absurd for a 230+ pound running back. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/3/5/17080328/saquon-barkley-nfl-combine-results

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/969663548484829184/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-53393782186445774.ampproject.net%2F1527809694656%2Fframe.html

Oh, and he’s a receiving dynamo too

5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

It was a joke.  I would agree though, If Saquon becomes a great pro, he'll probably look like a Tomlinson or Faulk.  

It was a passing league when Peterson was drafted- a bit less than now, but not much. Wasnt that long ago. He never had a qb, but it was still a Qb league. If he would have become a pass catcher too, he would have been massive fantasy stud. 

41 minutes ago, Mattice1 said:

It was a passing league when Peterson was drafted- a bit less than now, but not much. Wasnt that long ago. He never had a qb, but it was still a Qb league. If he would have become a pass catcher too, he would have been massive fantasy stud. 

Not particularly true unless you consider the early 90s a passing league. Attempts per game didn’t really go up from early 90s to 2006 then we saw a sizeable increase after. We are up roughly 10% in attempts and yards now compared to when AP was drafted. That’s a huge difference.

54 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Not particularly true unless you consider the early 90s a passing league. Attempts per game didn’t really go up from early 90s to 2006 then we saw a sizeable increase after. We are up roughly 10% in attempts and yards now compared to when AP was drafted. That’s a huge difference.

You know peterson was drafted in 2007 right??

to all these tomlinson and faulk comparisons i just dont see it????? tomlinson was 5'10 and 215 .....faulk was 5'10 and 211......barkley is 5'11 230.......he will be rediculous good. and with that size he could rewrite the record books. the giants will totally rebuild that entire team around him and beckham. next year when they add D draft picks look out. they will probably make the playoffs this year and they will be dangerous the next few years......and i'm a cowboy fan.

18 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

to all these tomlinson and faulk comparisons i just dont see it????? tomlinson was 5'10 and 215 .....faulk was 5'10 and 211......barkley is 5'11 230.......he will be rediculous good. and with that size he could rewrite the record books. the giants will totally rebuild that entire team around him and beckham. next year when they add D draft picks look out. they will probably make the playoffs this year and they will be dangerous the next few years......and i'm a cowboy fan.

Playoffs this year?  

I’ll take that bet anyday 

13 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

From a fantasy standpoint, love the faulk and LT comparisons. From 2002-2007 if you had LT, you got no worse than 1345 yards rushing, 13 tds and 50 catches. In ppr, if you had LT, you won the league. He was that much of a stud. If Saquan is LT, I would love that. It isn't perfect from a body build standpoint- but I think for usage, it's a great example. Give me LT please!!! I do agree Giants will be better in future, pending Eli and Qb future. 

31 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

You forgot the biggest piece, a QB.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat locked and unlocked this topic

Archived