NBC Sports Edge Forums

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

3 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

The NYG are just as good a fit as any in the top 10 IMO.  I wouldn't value Barkley much differently if he were to have slid and landed in either DEN, IND or TB.  NY is sticking with Manning (passing on one of the potential franchise QB at #2) and are clearly in "win now" mode.  The signing of Solder and hopeful drafting of some additional O-line talent will help and let's also not forget that OBJ, Engram & Sheppard running routes are going to open up tons of running and RB passing lanes.  No way that Saquon loses out on significant carries due to a scrub like Perkins and washed-up JStew.  EVERY team in the NFL has back-up RB's, I'd MUCH rather Saquon's competition be Perkins, JStew & Gallman vs talented guys like Hyde & Duke or McKinnon. 

If Barkely flashes in the preseason, you're going to have to use a 1st round fantasy pick to have him on your squad.

Barkley was always going in the 1st 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

He shouldn't considering the Giants drafted Barkley at #2.   I was a bit interested to see if he would have a bounce back season (He faced the most 8 man boxes last year of any RB).

Bounce back to mediocrity?

Can anyone give me a good read on the Giants O LIne? I know they acquired one this offseason but is that it?

I like him and he's got a passing game support (fingers crossed on Eli) but that is one NASTY looking run game schedule the G Men are facing.

10 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

My middle of the road guesstimate: 300 points in PPR, with the potential to get into the high 300's....

He should be drafted in the mid to late first round in full PPR redraft. 

While I wouldn't exactly call that a "reach," I would call it a "risk" drafting a rookie Giant RB so early and passing up other studs I expect to see there:

we can expect DJ, Zeke, Gurley, and Bell to be gone, but AB, OBJ, Julio, and Nuke will be there in the mid-first, and Keenan Allen, Freeman, and Fournette in the late first.

Maybe I'm more cautious in the first round, but I'd rather net less [projected] points with more security and avoid a potential rookie bust.

2 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

While I wouldn't exactly call that a "reach," I would call it a "risk" drafting a rookie Giant RB so early and passing up other studs I expect to see there:

we can expect DJ, Zeke, Gurley, and Bell to be gone, but AB, OBJ, Julio, and Nuke will be there in the mid-first, and Keenan Allen, Freeman, and Fournette in the late first.

Maybe I'm more cautious in the first round, but I'd rather net less [projected] points with more security and avoid a potential rookie bust.

I like him over all the late 1st guys and Julio.

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

I like him over all the late 1st guys.

Fair enough.

But I'd suggest that drafting the hope (hype?) of Barkley over a mid-first conqueror is ill-advised. In PPR, Barkley's 9.25" hands and 6' wingspan may not be sufficient to catch the erratic passes Eli has been chucking up for grabs. OBJ as a mid-round pick is more in tune with Eli's compass, and certainly Nuk has proven himself QB-proof.

13 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Fair enough.

But I'd suggest that drafting the hope (hype?) of Barkley over a mid-first conqueror is ill-advised. In PPR, Barkley's 9.25" hands and 6' wingspan may not be sufficient to catch the erratic passes Eli has been chucking up for grabs. OBJ as a mid-round pick is more in tune with Eli's compass, and certainly Nuk has proven himself QB-proof.

Ya I didnt include Nuk and OBJ

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

Ya I didnt include Nuk and OBJ

Considering how many players you've "passed" on this spring, good to see you're still ok with Nuk, OBJ, and Barkley. Who do you like in the second round, assuming you get one of these guys in the first?

22 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Fair enough.

]

Drafting a rookie rb on the giants in the 1st rd is alot of hype and hope. Thats what makes drafting fun however because someone will take that risk. 

I would rather someone else pay up in the 1st for barkley and I take a tried and true vet in an offense and situation I know will provide predictable points and then I take a similar rookie like penny in the later rounds who Petey Boy claims will be an every down rb on a team that similar to the giants has improved their o-line but has a mobile QB who defenses have to focus on and makes it easier for the rb to create space.

Lots of ways to play the rb game this season with so many quality ones available

11 minutes ago, Chippa said:

G-men have to fix the o-line. Otherwise, he's gonna have a similar season to the one Mixon had in 2017

:lol: Joe Mixon put in the same sentence as Saquon Barkley is amusing. Mixon had 800 yards from scrimmage last year I would be more inclined to say Barkley will double that than to say he will have similar season not to mention Mixon is a whiny baby and Barkley has demonstrated hes a nice kid and a generational talent. You're entitled to your opinion though. 

14 minutes ago, Chippa said:

G-men have to fix the o-line. Otherwise, he's gonna have a similar season to the one Mixon had in 2017

They should add a good left tackle, the left guard from the #1 rushing offense last year, and draft some quality OL prospects ... that would be nice.

Good thing they already did 2 of those things. 

4 minutes ago, NyCro said:

:lol: Joe Mixon put in the same sentence as Saquon Barkley is amusing. Mixon had 800 yards from scrimmage last year I would be more inclined to say Barkley will double that than to say he will have similar season not to mention Mixon is a whiny baby and Barkley has demonstrated hes a nice kid and a generational talent. You're entitled to your opinion though. 

You must be in middle school to type a response like that

b69e5cac785644c4b61265f8c9d847df.jpg

8 minutes ago, Chippa said:

You must be in middle school to type a response like that

b69e5cac785644c4b61265f8c9d847df.jpg

Yes obviously in middle school you should go back and finish. That's ironic coming from some of the responses you post on these boards... They are all very well thought out and intelligent enjoy your day! 

44 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Considering how many players you've "passed" on this spring, good to see you're still ok with Nuk, OBJ, and Barkley. Who do you like in the second round, assuming you get one of these guys in the first?

Something like Barkley/Evans 

31 minutes ago, Chippa said:

Giants are well on the way to fixing the O Line. They could possibly pick G Will Hernandez with the top pick in the 2nd rd to join Solder and Omameh. 

Just now, bigbluecrew56 said:

Giants are well on the way to fixing the O Line. I would be surprised to see them pick G Will Hernandez with the top pick in the 2nd rd to join Solder and Omameh. 

15 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

They should add a good left tackle, the left guard from the #1 rushing offense last year, and draft some quality OL prospects ... that would be nice.

good responses. I like these rational, and logical conversations. Unlike that autistic  7th grade fella, Nycro

18 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Im not a fan of the JAX leftover we got for the LG position. We still have a lot of OL work to do.

23 minutes ago, Chippa said:

It's not dissimilar, yet I think Barkley is assured to break the 1000-yard barrier and avoid the Mixon scenario of 2017:

14 games / 178 carries / 626 yards / 4 TDs // 30 rec. / 287 yards / 0 TDs

The thing with Mixon is, the Bengals would not commit and we saw both Hill and Gio. While I do see JStew vulturing here and there, I also see Squanch with 300 touches, and that's more a floor than ceiling.

15 minutes ago, NyCro said:

:lol: Joe Mixon put in the same sentence as Saquon Barkley is amusing. Mixon had 800 yards from scrimmage last year I would be more inclined to say Barkley will double that than to say he will have similar season not to mention Mixon is a whiny baby and Barkley has demonstrated hes a nice kid and a generational talent.

While I'm also high on Barkley's talent, and I do see his touches guaranteed, the production is not guaranteed: the Giants struggled greatly all over the place last season, not dissimilar to the Rams of 2016, where Gurley faced a stacked box every single game and produced numbers beneath his talent:

Gurley 2016 = 16 games / 276 carries / 885 yards / 6 TDs // 43 rec. / 327 yards / 0 TDs

From my perspective, if the Giants do not "fix" multiple issues, not even Barkley's talent can push through a wall: the box will be filled with the likes of Reuben Foster, Luke Kuechly, Bobby Wagner, Vontaze Burfict (when not suspended) + the boys up front who are equally monstrous and far larger. Barkley may have demonstrated elite talent, but he will now be smacking into elite talent week after week unless he gets help.

8 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Something like Barkley/Evans 

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Barkley will be gone by the 1/2 turn in most leagues

dmb is responding to my question about 2nd round pairing. Makes sense if someone takes Barkley in the mid to late first to end up with Evans (though I see Evans as problematic this coming season).

• tonycpsu changed the title to Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat locked and unlocked this topic

Archived