NBC Sports Edge Forums

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

40 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

Yes Vernon is probably not a player capable of covering Barkley but the point of the tweet was they are finding ways to isolate a playmaker against a former DE who plays outside LB now. Exploiting mismatches will be the name of the game with this offense and they are showing their willingness to do that.

interesting what i see in this tweet is not about barkley but how they are literally giving Eli more options to get the ball out of his hand quickly to move the chains

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

already a team leader, this locker room should be nowhere near the abortion mcadoo let it turn into, pretty hard to dislike Barkley 

Great catch at 1:32.....and like how he's protecting the ball.

29 minutes ago, whitekenyan24 said:

So torn on whether to pull the trigger on him as early as #5 in a .5 PPR. Hard to pick him over Kamara, Gordon, and Hunt but I think he's going to have a massive year in that offense.

He’s better than every single one of them ... Kamara’s own head coach referred to him as the best RB prospect to come out in over 2 decades 

not to mention the recent trend of stud rookie RBs ... who are nowhere near as talented as him 

2019 Barkley will be in 1st overall pick conversation 

11 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

He’s better than every single one of them ... Kamara’s own head coach referred to him as the best RB prospect to come out in over 2 decades 

yet kamar + hunt set records as 3rd round draft picks. . oh wait being on good offenses run by genius level coaches sort of helps with that. let's move past barkley's talent and focus a bit more on the NYG's ability as an offense to move the ball and put points on the board.  Saints+Bolts+KC have proven offenses that can do that but the NYG's have question marks going into this season.

Will the coaches get the team in positions to win?

Does Eli still have the mojo?

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

yet kamar + hunt set records as 3rd round draft picks. . oh wait being on good offenses run by genius level coaches sort of helps with that. let's move past barkley's talent and focus a bit more on the NYG's ability as an offense to move the ball and put points on the board.  Saints+Bolts+KC have offenses that can do that but the NYG's have question marks going into this season.

Does Eli still have the mojo?

No, he doesn't. And it's hilarious how some people here have Saquon as a top 5 pick. That's absolutely ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, South Carolina said:

No, he doesn't. And it's hilarious how some people here have Saquon as a top 5 pick. That's absolutely ridiculous. 

I honestly have no outlook on Eli at the momet. The Giants collectively imploding on and off field last season didnt give me a clear picture of if he has deteriorated as a QB. 

Just now, dashoe said:

I honestly have no outlook on Eli at the momet. The Giants collectively imploding on and off field last season didnt give me a clear picture of if he has deteriorated as a QB. 

And there's nothing but garbage behind Eli except 2 stiffs who haven't thrown an NFL pass.

3 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

Absolutely ridiculous is quite the overstatement. All of the RB behind the big 4 (and maybe Melvin Gordon) have question marks. It definitely isn't "absolutely ridiculous" to rank him about Gordon and the rest based off of his estimated role in the offense. 

As for going over AB, some people prefer to take RB over WR early. Not something I would do, but also not ridiculous. 

Just now, afl5013 said:

Absolutely ridiculous is quite the overstatement. All of the RB behind the big 4 (and maybe Melvin Gordon) have question marks. It definitely isn't "absolutely ridiculous" to rank him about Gordon and the rest based off of his estimated role in the offense. 

As for going over AB, some people prefer to take RB over WR early. Not something I would do, but also not ridiculous. 

He's yet to play an NFL game or even a snap. He looks good in shorts against possibly the worst defense in the NFL. I like Saquon but I need to see more before I rank him anywhere near the top 5.

Just now, South Carolina said:

He's yet to play an NFL game or even a snap. He looks good in shorts against possibly the worst defense in the NFL. I like Saquon but I need to see more before I rank him anywhere near the top 5.

That's fine and I can agree with that, but after the way rookie RB have performed lately and combining Saquon's talent and expected workload (pass catching is a major part of this), he belongs in the conversation.

1 minute ago, afl5013 said:

That's fine and I can agree with that, but after the way rookie RB have performed lately and combining Saquon's talent and expected workload (pass catching is a major part of this), he belongs in the conversation.

In the top 5 overall picks or top 5 running backs?? If your telling me he's a top 5 overall pick your insane.

Just now, South Carolina said:

In the top 5 overall picks or top 5 running backs?? If your telling me he's a top 5 overall pick your insane.

Again, saying it's insane is a HUGE overstatement. 

Do I have him in the top 5 players? No, but I would take him over every WR not named Brown. I like going RB early, and after the big 4 and Brown, it's between him and Gordon. In a PPR league I'd lean Barkley at #6, so to say it's insane to take him at 5 is well... insane. 

1 minute ago, afl5013 said:

Again, saying it's insane is a HUGE overstatement. 

Do I have him in the top 5 players? No, but I would take him over every WR not named Brown. I like going RB early, and after the big 4 and Brown, it's between him and Gordon. In a PPR league I'd lean Barkley at #6, so to say it's insane to take him at 5 is well... insane. 

I don't see the value in taking a non-proven rookie RB when there's a ton of proven backs staring you in the face. Too risky for my blood, especially since he's on a garbage team.

7 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

There's no difference between top 5 overall vs top 5 running backs other than AB

5 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

I don't see the value in taking a non-proven rookie RB when there's a ton of proven backs staring you in the face. Too risky for my blood, especially since he's on a garbage team.

No guts, no glory ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

10 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

Would you have liked a backfield of Fournette and Kareem Hunt last year? Or Zeke Elliott and Jordan Howard the year before? The last two NFL rushing champions were rookies. Don't be afraid of rookie RBs. If they are locked into roles, draft as you would any veteran.

Gosh golly it’s scary thinking for yourself and deviating from preseason “expert” ranks, isn’t it? 

I prefer thinking for myself, try it sometimes. 

Saquon Barkley is a freak of nature in line for 300+ touches with 60+ of them being receptions. 

Enjoy your “safe” picks - I prefer talent, workload, and thinking for myself. 

See ya in the 2019 “should I take him 1st overall?” Outlook 

Just now, Chardo said:

Would you have liked a backfield of Fournette and Kareem Hunt last year? Or Zeke Elliott and Jordan Howard the year before? The last two NFL rushing champions were rookies. Don't be afraid of rookie RBs. If they are locked into roles, draft as you would any veteran.

This. 

Not to mention Barkley’s athleticism and passing game prowess dwarfs even Ezekiel Elliot 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat locked and unlocked this topic

Archived