NBC Sports Edge Forums

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

1. Just took him 1.02 in a 55 man roster dynasty startup, you can start two QB's, no waiver wire. 12 weekly IDP's rookie and 7 round supp draft yearly, $325 to get in. 

What have I missed? :lol:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:
  1. Just took him 1.02 in a 55 man roster dynasty startup, you can start two QB's, no waiver wire. 12 weekly IDP's rookie and 7 round supp draft yearly, $325 to get in. 

What have I missed? :lol:

the chance to lean on Nick Chubb for the next two years?

I always giggle at the “I need to see it first” crowd.

On page 15 of the 2017 Kareem Hunt thread, a few days after Ware hurt his knee, I posted that Kareem Hunt went 2.01 in a $1600 entry Nffc league. At the time Hunt was going mid-to-late 3rd.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/652162-kareem-hunt-2017-outlook/?page=15

”I need to see it” is as outdated as VCRs & coke bottles.

It never plays out according to the ADPs. The last year I won my league I had Jamaal Charles in his monster year, but I got him like 7th or 8th. There were considered 'safer' picks. Had someone gone against the grain and drafted him higher than his ADP they would've likely won the league. I wouldn't reach and take Barkley inside the top 4 but I'm also not knocking him just because 'we haven't seen him do anything yet'. He's a rookie and by most accounts the most impressive rookie RB to come out in a long time. 

58 minutes ago, Chardo said:

Would you have liked a backfield of Fournette and Kareem Hunt last year? Or Zeke Elliott and Jordan Howard the year before? The last two NFL rushing champions were rookies. Don't be afraid of rookie RBs. If they are locked into roles, draft as you would any veteran.

I won my league with Kamara (very late round pick) Jay Ajayi and later traded for Fournette. Not bad value, huh?? 

1 hour ago, Chardo said:

Would you have liked a backfield of Fournette and Kareem Hunt last year? Or Zeke Elliott and Jordan Howard the year before? The last two NFL rushing champions were rookies. Don't be afraid of rookie RBs. If they are locked into roles, draft as you would any veteran.

To add to this... There were potentially FOUR top 12 rookie fantasy RB last year, depending on your scoring system: Kamara, Hunt, Fournette (missed a few games, still a top 10 RB), and CMC. Not to mention Cook was looking pretty good before he went down. You can actually trace back rookie RBs taken in the top 10 of the real NFL draft in the last like 10 years and they are always among the top rushers by year's end; even Trent Richardson had a good rookie season. If Saquon straight busts it would be a pretty big outlier. 

I'm not sure I would take him as a top 4 RB given who else is there but it's not crazy based on expected volume and his skill set.

4 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

To add to this... There were potentially FOUR top 12 rookie fantasy RB last year, depending on your scoring system: Kamara, Hunt, Fournette (missed a few games, still a top 10 RB), and CMC. Not to mention Cook was looking pretty good before he went down. You can actually trace back rookie RBs taken in the top 10 of the real NFL draft in the last like 10 years and they are always among the top rushers by year's end; even Trent Richardson had a good rookie season. If Saquon straight busts it would be a pretty big outlier. 

I'm not sure I would take him as a top 4 RB given who else is there but it's not crazy based on expected volume and his skill set.

What do all those RB's have in common? They were on good teams. The Giants are a 6-7 win team at best this year. 

1 minute ago, South Carolina said:

What do all those RB's have in common? They were on good teams. The Giants are a 6-7 win team at best this year. 

You don't know that. Many said the same about PHI this time last year. 3 of those 4 RBs were drafted by teams coming off losing seasons.

Just now, joshua18 said:

You don't know that. Many said the same about PHI this time last year. 3 of those 4 RBs were drafted by teams coming off losing seasons.

But Philly had an elite defense and an elite QB. The Giants will have neither. Look at Wentz's stats pre-injury. They are mind boggling. And the defense will be top 5 again. How can the Giants compete in the East? Right now they are still the 4th best team in the division.

6 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

IDK about that. They made the playoffs the year before and were decimated with injuries last year. On paper they are much better than their record indicates. We see teams like that turn around all the time, I don't see why the Giants can't.

5 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

IDK about that. They made the playoffs the year before and were decimated with injuries last year. On paper they are much better than their record indicates. We see teams like that turn around all the time, I don't see why the Giants can't.

this x 100. 

no professional league has a greater annual turnover in playoff teams than the NFL - fact. 

2 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

But Philly had an elite defense and an elite QB. The Giants will have neither. Look at Wentz's stats pre-injury. They are mind boggling. And the defense will be top 5 again. How can the Giants compete in the East? Right now they are still the 4th best team in the division.

4th best? How do you figure that? I think they have more talent on both sides of the ball than Washington and Dallas. Their defense was elite two years ago and still has the pieces to compete. They are LOADED offensively and Eli can still play. They are a sleeper wild card team if we are assuming the Eagles win the division.

8 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

PHI did not have an elite defense coming into the season. They were average in 2016. And Wentz's YPA in 2016 was horrid (5.7, worse than Eli's 6.1 in 2017).

All of that is hindsight analysis...unless you're telling me you won money placing a Vegas bet this time a year ago that PHI would win the NFC, let alone the SB. 

50 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

Oh yeah, and coaching. The coach is your typical blah retread. Brings nothing. 

I'm a Dallas fan.  So I promise you, I'd love to kick excrement all over the NY football Giants.  However, I expect their offense to be much improved.  Last year,  was 17 weeks of Murphy's law for them.  A perfect storm, led by the jerkweed McAdoodoo, who I wouldn't let coach a flag team.  While I can see them winning anywhere from 4 games to 12 games, I do expect their offense to be explosive.

I have no concerns in regard to a rookie RB producing, but given the level of play that we've already seen from Gurley, Bell, Zeke, and DJ, I just can't see a case being made for him over those 4. Beyond that it definitely gets interesting.

2 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

Saquon is the man. They better find a backup QB though. Webb is pathetic. 

Saquon is very boom or bust with his running style, give him enough carries though and he’ll be very good for fantasy.

I’m not sold on him being the best RB in the draft (or if he is not by much) but he’s in a very good position to be productive in his rookie year.

I’m never going to like the Giants taking a RB that high though...  greatest need wasn’t RB.

3 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Saquon is very boom or bust with his running style, give him enough carries though and he’ll be very good for fantasy.

I’m not sold on him being the best RB in the draft (or if he is not by much) but he’s in a very good position to be productive in his rookie year.

I’m never going to like the Giants taking a RB that high though...  greatest need wasn’t RB.

When the booms are 39 yard runs that would go nowhere with most other RBs, it’s worth it 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat locked and unlocked this topic

Archived