NBC Sports Edge Forums

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

Whereas we know nothing of Barkley since he hasn't played an official down in an NFL game yet (preseason does not count).

We know he's going to touch the ball 300+ times

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the point is that he has done it before so it is realistic that he could do it again. 

Whereas we know nothing of Barkley since he hasn't played an official down in an NFL game yet (preseason does not count).

You should know something about Barkley by now, or you haven't been paying attention. Same as for Hunt last year or Zeke 2 years ago.

2 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

If you're expecting 15 TD's from DJ you're about to be severely disappointed.

You missed the point.  I'm not projecting his stats.  I am making a statement that DJ has proven, on an NFL field, that he is elite.  Saquon could be elite, but we already know DJ is.

5 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Nobody's expecting that...

People who draft him ahead of DJ quite obviously are. DJ has done it before, the primary NYG RB hasn’t scored double digit TDs since 2004 2008 my bad

1 minute ago, kp96 said:

You missed the point.  I'm not projecting his stats.  I am making a statement that DJ has proven, on an NFL field, that he is elite.  Saquon could be elite, but we already know DJ is.

You don't need to be elite.  You need volume and good players around you.

Just now, kp96 said:

We get it, you'll never draft a stud rookie on your team. For the rest of us, the indicators are that Barkley's floor is as safe as any RB in the league. 

Just now, joshua18 said:

You should know something about Barkley by now, or you haven't been paying attention. Same as for Hunt last year or Zeke 2 years ago.

I know he was good in college. Their is a hint of uncertainty with someone who has never played a down in the NFL before. 

Their is no hint of uncertainty with DJ: we know what he is capable of. 

1 minute ago, RMJ_12 said:

We know he's going to touch the ball 300+ times

I told my ex-wife the same thing and we barely reached triple digits ;( 

Just now, joshua18 said:

We get it, you'll never draft a stud rookie on your team. For the rest of us, the indicators are that Barkley's floor is as safe as any RB in the league. 

What?  I never said I wouldn't draft a stud rookie.  If I have the #6 pick I will take Saquon.  But I'm not taking Saquon if DJ is there at #6.

Just now, joshua18 said:

Who's "US" you speak of?

Just now, joshua18 said:

Those with the guts to take a stud rookie RB with a mid-1st round pick -- like Zeke 2 years ago. 

The argument here is not whether a rookie RB should be taken in the first round (some obviously should).  The argument is whether Saquon should be drafted ahead of DJ.  

6 minutes ago, kp96 said:

The argument here is not whether a rookie RB should be taken in the first round (some obviously should).  The argument is whether Saquon should be drafted ahead of DJ.  

Depends. Legit coin flip right now. Both are in my top-3 ranked RBs.

6 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Assuming you view both their situations as equal

1. you take Dj to play it safe

2. you take barkley because you like a bit of risk and the shiny new toy. 

Either way both will be the workhorse rb's for their teams that will use them as the focal point of the offense but I'm not sure what you will get from either of those teams overall given new coaches,etc. 

I think the Cards carry  more QB risk with a fragile Bradford and a rookie as the backup so I give the giants/barkley the edge

21 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Depends. Legit coin flip right now. Both are in my top-3 ranked RBs.

Crazy.  I wouldn't argue with Saquon at 5, but how can you rank him above the big 4?  Each of the big 4 has at least one ridiculous season under their belt.  We know what their ceiling is and not a lot has changed with any of their situations.  

We don't know Saquon's ceiling.  We just know what we've seen on college tape and combine scores.  There are plenty of players who looked fantastic coming out of college and flopped.  Here is a list of RB's drafted in the top 5 of their drafts -

- Trent Richardson (#3 overall)

- Darren McFadden (#4 overall)

- Reggie Bush (#2 overall) - not a flop but not elite

- Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Cadillac Williams (went 2, 4 and 5 in their draft)

- Curtis Enis (#5 overall)

- Ki-Jana Carter (#1 overall)

You get my point.  All of these guys were touted as studs coming out of college (and obviously their draft slot reflected that).  We just don't remember their draft hype because their actual performance in the NFL was so bad.

I'll go with the guys who have shown they are super elite already.

1 minute ago, kp96 said:

Crazy.  I wouldn't argue with Saquon at 5, but how can you rank him above the big 4?  Each of the big 4 has at least one ridiculous season under their belt.  We know what their ceiling is and not a lot has changed with any of their situations.  

We don't know Saquon's ceiling.  We just know what we've seen on college tape and combine scores, but there are plenty of players who looked fantastic coming out of college and flopped.  Here is a list of RB's drafted in the top 5 of their drafts -

- Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Cadillac Williams (went 2, 4 and 5 in their draft)

You get my point.  All of these guys were touted as studs coming out of college (and obviously their draft slot reflected that).  We just don't remember their draft hype because their actual performance in the NFL was so bad.

B-b-b-but Saquon is the best college prospect eeeeevvvvveeeeeerrrrrrr!!!! :wub: H-h-he is a once in a life generational talent!!! I swear!!!

2 minutes ago, kp96 said:

We don't know Saquon's ceiling.  We just know what we've seen on college tape and combine scores, but there are plenty of players who looked fantastic coming out of college and flopped.  Here is a list of RB's drafted in the top 5 of their drafts -

None were touted higher than Barkley. Comparing any of them as prospects to him is laughable. He's a better prospect than Zeke was...who was also head and shoulders above any of those RBs you mentioned. 

This is where actually knowing the strengths and weaknesses of prospects is useful instead of lazily lumping them together by draft capital. 

B-b-b-but Saquon is the best college prospect eeeeevvvvveeeeeerrrrrrr!!!! :wub: H-h-he is a once in a life generational talent!!! I swear!!!

Given your recent track record on prospect evaluation (Deshaun Watson, cough), it's probably best for you to remain silent on this issue. But if you want to make a fool of yourself for the second straight season, be my guest.

1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

None were touted higher than Barkley. Comparing any of them as prospects to him is laughable. He's a better prospect than Zeke was...who was also head and shoulders above any of those RBs you mentioned. 

This is where actually knowing the strengths and weaknesses of prospects is useful instead of lazily lumping them together by draft capital. 

Ki-Jana Carter was the #1 overall pick but he wasn't touted as highly as Barkley?  C'mon.  They were all touted as world beaters before they stepped in a real NFL game.

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

And also, you used the word "prospect".  That is what Saquon is.  A (really great) prospect.  He is NOT a stud yet until he does what the big 4 have done.

Just now, kp96 said:

Ki-Jana Carter was the #1 overall pick but he wasn't touted as highly as Barkley?  C'mon.  They were all touted as world beaters before they stepped in a real NFL game.

He wasn't. Not even close. And yes, I remember him as a prospect. This ain't my first rodeo. 

Again, it's lazy to lump them together by draft capital. It actually takes some work to dig deeper.

47 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

An entirely new starting front 5 with a legit LT who is nowhere near “geriatric” and actually graded as one of the best RUN BLOCKING tackles in the league ... and then they drafted Will Hernandez, one of the best run blocking guards to come out in years. Right side will be mediocre at best, but this unit is nowhere near as poor as last year 

Yeah... it's hard not to improve... they were the worst line in the league last year...but you're massively overrating Solder... there's a reason he wasn't their first target at tackle... their line is no better than Arizona's... DJ is one of 2 players in the past decade to be the best running back in the league despite having a garbage line...Barkley isn't... DJ gets drafted first... not really debatable... 

5 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Given your recent track record on prospect evaluation (Deshaun Watson, cough), it's probably best for you to remain silent on this issue. But if you want to make a fool of yourself for the second straight season, be my guest.

Yeah. We all know that ridiculously small sample size last year is proof that Watson is elite :ph34r:. I'll admit I was wrong if he keeps it up this year and plays an entire season. 

Just now, joshua18 said:

He wasn't. Not even close. And yes, I remember him as a prospect. This ain't my first rodeo. 

Again, it's lazy to lump them together by draft capital. It actually takes some work to dig deeper.

That is laughable.  Ki-Jana Carter was the number 1 pick of the draft but he wasn't hyped like Barkley?  OK I'm done. 

• phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat locked and unlocked this topic

Archived