NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nick Chubb 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SteelersScotty said:

Dropped Marlon Mack for Chubb. Didn't really wanna do it, but I can't seem to give up on Aaron Jones and didn't have time to think about it too long.

Next time drop your kicker to give youself more time to think about who you want to drop or try to make a 2 for 1 trade to clear a roster spot

5 hours ago, kdko said:

How do we like his matchup against the Buccs this weekend? And where would you guys rank him amongst the other RB2 types around the league right now.

TB has surprisingly been good against the run, but not so good covering the RBs out of the backfield. However, their stellar DT, McCoy, is OUT, so this has to boost up all RBs on Cleveland. 

Personally, I’m thinking Duke Johnson May be the better play here, but I’m also thinking both may be very productive. 

4 minutes ago, Silkk1211 said:

Next time drop your kicker to give youself more time to think about who you want to drop or try to make a 2 for 1 trade to clear a roster spot

Lol. I was torn on who to,drop too, but my kicker is Legatron, so I definitely did not want to drop him. 

16 minutes ago, SteelersScotty said:

Dropped Marlon Mack for Chubb. Didn't really wanna do it, but I can't seem to give up on Aaron Jones and didn't have time to think about it too long.

I dropped Aaron Jones instead of Ito Smith ONLY because I'm trying to get Hunt and Smith plays the Falcons week 12 during his bye week. 

I think Jones is the better overall back, but I didnt need to keep him.

7 hours ago, munde53 said:

While I agree that similar SPARQ score does not equal similar talent I'm just trying to show that based on raw athletic ability they aren't as far off as many people seem to believe. However, when you pair his SPARQ score with his production in college as well as when you just watch him on film you can tell Chubb is going to be a special player.

Chubb split time after he came back from his injury with Sony Michel which is is one reason he fell in the draft and because of how the RB position has been devalued. Chubb also wasn't involved in the passing game in college which is why he went behind guys like Penny and Michel.

We'll never know where Chubb would have went in the draft if he didn't mangle his knee and it's irrelevant at this point. However, I think it would have been similar to the Fournette vs. Cook debate as who would be the first RB drafted in the 2017 draft between Barkley and Chubb in the 2018 draft.

Basically what I'm trying to say is Barkely = Elite and I think Chubb can get there as well. 

7 running backs were drafted in the first 2 rounds of the last draft. How’s that considered to be devalued?

Even if Chubb didn’t injure his knee are you implying or hinting that he was so much more superior and talented compared to Michel to not share the backfield?

Oh and that knee injury that you proclaim to be a reason for him falling in the draft... it happened 6 games into his sophomore year. He came back and had an excellent junior year. Many scouts, analysts and Bulldog fans were surprised he came back for his senior year. He tore it up again his senior year. So as bad as that injury was why would you even bring that up? Its irrelevant like you said and It’s not a valid reason as to why he fell. 

Speaking of falling... he was the 4th RB off the board. Exactly where pretty much all mock drafts, pre draft rankings, scouts, analysts had him. Some had him as high as number 3 ....most had him right at 4 and some at 5 or 6. 

You mention his lack of involvement in the passing game being a reason why he was drafted after Michel. That’s some funny stuff. Unless you really believe the 5 more catches that Michel had during their finals year was a major deciding factor. If NE thought Chubb was better and wanted him they would’ve obviously taken him instead of Michel. 

So the made up excuses/bogus reasons to fit your agenda are why Chubb wasn’t a serious consideration to be picked ahead of Barkley?

You get offended and shoot down any mention of posters in different player threads when they mention rookie X or player Y has a chance to be like stud player Z yet you’re so confident Chubb can be Elite like Barkley. 

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, dakimbell said:

Yea Barkley is just insane, chubb is not Barkley, but he can easily be a top 10 standard RB ROS. He is an excellent runner, so powerful and explosive, and will run circles around what Hyde has been doing the last 6 weeks..

I don't know. Part of the reason Hyde struggled is that Oline is weak af. They have drafted 1-1st round offensive lineman in 10 years because they relied on Joe Thomas.

Hyde's carries this year. 114 carries total, averages to 19 per game. Those will now go to Chubb, who offers more upside IMO. What stands out to me is the fact that they traded away a vet (Hyde), on a much improved football team and handing the keys to the backfield to a rookie. Also, Chubb will 100% be the GL back in the red zone. No doubt about that.

2018 Games

Rushing Receiving   Fumbles
Date Week Tm   Opp Result GS Rush Yds Y/A TD Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Ctch% Y/Tgt TD Fmb FF FR Yds TD
2018-09-09 1 CLE   PIT T 21-21 * 22 62 2.82 1 2 1 3 3.00 0 50.0% 1.50 1 0 0 0 0 0
2018-09-16 2 CLE @ NOR L 18-21   16 43 2.69 1 1 1 7 7.00 0 100.0% 7.00 1 0 0 0 0 0
2018-09-20 3 CLE   NYJ W 21-17 * 23 98 4.26 2 3 2 5 2.50 0 66.7% 1.67 2 0 0 0 0 0
2018-09-30 4 CLE @ OAK L 42-45 * 22 82 3.73 1 1 0 0   0 0.0% 0.00 1 1 0 0 0 0
2018-10-07 5 CLE   BAL W 12-9 * 17 63 3.71 0 3 2 14 7.00 0 66.7% 4.67 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018-10-14 6 CLE   LAC L 14-38 * 14 34 2.43 0 0 0 0   0 0.0%   0 0 0 0 0 0
1 hour ago, psygolf said:

In Std. he is #17in ppg, completely td dependent, and will be ranked outside the rb1 tier in total points scored after this week. Let's acknowledge that he is averaging 3.2 ypc and not getting his expected targets.

I had 3 rbs averaging more ppg, in much better offenses before picking up Chubb.   I dropped Michel & AP to keep a light burning for DJ.

What I am saying, and the point, is that Chubb's ros outlook is a close rb1 going forward (and looks better than DJ's right now.)

I am sure you can find someone else to drop instead of DJ, or like I said you could certainly use him in a package like a 2 for 1 to a RB needy team, which would also free up some space on your bench.  There is also the hope with DJ that now that the OC McCoy is gone they will use him better like lining him up as a receiver like in 2016.  Good Luck!

7 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Hyde's carries this year. 114 carries total, averages to 19 per game. Those will now go to Chubb, who offers more upside IMO. What stands out to me is the fact that they traded away a vet (Hyde), on a much improved football team and handing the keys to the backfield to a rookie. Also, Chubb will 100% be the GL back in the red zone. No doubt about that.

2018 Games

Rushing Receiving   Fumbles
Date Week Tm   Opp Result GS Rush Yds Y/A TD Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Ctch% Y/Tgt TD Fmb FF FR Yds TD
2018-09-09 1 CLE   PIT T 21-21 * 22 62 2.82 1 2 1 3 3.00 0 50.0% 1.50 1 0 0 0 0 0
2018-09-16 2 CLE @ NOR L 18-21   16 43 2.69 1 1 1 7 7.00 0 100.0% 7.00 1 0 0 0 0 0
2018-09-20 3 CLE   NYJ W 21-17 * 23 98 4.26 2 3 2 5 2.50 0 66.7% 1.67 2 0 0 0 0 0
2018-09-30 4 CLE @ OAK L 42-45 * 22 82 3.73 1 1 0 0   0 0.0% 0.00 1 1 0 0 0 0
2018-10-07 5 CLE   BAL W 12-9 * 17 63 3.71 0 3 2 14 7.00 0 66.7% 4.67 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018-10-14 6 CLE   LAC L 14-38 * 14 34 2.43 0 0 0 0   0 0.0%   0 0 0 0 0 0

Chubb is going to take over Hyde’s role 100%. I don’t know why people are thinking Duke Johnson is going to be stealing carries away from him. His role is going to stay the same. This is 100% Chubbs backfield, the only question I’m curious about is if the Browns will utilize him some in the passing game just to see what he can do. I’m okay with 15-20 carries a game and we all saw just how explosive he can be in that Raiders game. He’s going to be on a lot of championship teams this year. Happy to have scooped him off waivers when the news broke. 

17 hours ago, meverett85 said:

I  spent a grand total of 2 seconds debating if I should drop Corey Davis for Chubb.....lol

Had this feeling that every league owner was just a click away from adding him to their squad. Fun times.

Exact same. Dropped Corey Davis for him. I didn’t like giving up such a high upside player. But it also only took me 5 seconds to make the decision. 

I've been holding on the end of my bench for weeks, and this turned out better than I thought it might with Hyde either getting hurt or slowly losing carries as the season goes on.  :)

1 minute ago, MilkSteakandjellybeans said:

I'm thinking now might be the best time to trade chubb. What do you guys think? The hype train is real right now and if he puts up 13/42 people are gonna cool on him significantly...

I'm rolling with him, but if you already have two quality top-15 starters and have a need in some other key area, sure. There's absolutely a range of possible outcomes, and humdrum results are one of them.

2 hours ago, Silkk1211 said:

I do this all the time. Good advice.

I dropped Peyton Barber for Chubb. My only choice...

10 minutes ago, MilkSteakandjellybeans said:

I'm thinking now might be the best time to trade chubb. What do you guys think? The hype train is real right now and if he puts up 13/42 people are gonna cool on him significantly...

For reference, I have already been offered G. Olsen + M. Jones for Chubb

12 minutes ago, MilkSteakandjellybeans said:

But what if he goes 19/107/1?

1 hour ago, MrPositive said:

I don't know. Part of the reason Hyde struggled is that Oline is weak af. They have drafted 1-1st round offensive lineman in 10 years because they relied on Joe Thomas.

yeah people are severely off their market when they evaluate Hyde as if he somehow sucked. Hyde was not the reason the running game was not explosive.  ..talk to Haley and the o-line. Not sure why people keep going with the false view that hyde was some sort of JAG

19 minutes ago, MilkSteakandjellybeans said:

if u are deep at rb makes perfect sense to sell on the news to a rb desperate team. Sell him as a rb2  lock with rb1 ceiling

16 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

For reference, I have already been offered G. Olsen + M. Jones for Chubb

Honestly id keep chubb, squeeze a little more out, i got offered Allison for Chubb, but im stacked at WR and dont need Allison who i traded away

what kind of offers are other people getting? If he puts up a good line do you keep or sell, if he does terrible, hey he was a free add for most of us

8 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

Honestly id keep chubb, squeeze a little more out, i got offered Allison for Chubb, but im stacked at WR and dont need Allison who i traded away

what kind of offers are other people getting? If he puts up a good line do you keep or sell, if he does terrible, hey he was a free add for most of us

I was offered Odell for Chubb and Fuller...

Nahhh mannn

1 minute ago, cheezor42 said:

A look at their upcoming schedule as well screams Duke Johnson time to me.  I’m still cautiously optimistic on Chubb but Duke will be heavily involved.

Shootouts the next few weeks, chubb can catch too though 

Archived