NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nick Chubb 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

A look at their upcoming schedule as well screams Duke Johnson time to me.  I’m still cautiously optimistic on Chubb but Duke will be heavily involved.

Not worried about Johnson at all.  Hyde was in the top 10 in standard scoring up until he had a couple duds the last two weeks and even then he is currently ranked 14th. I will take top 15 ROS! 

Barkley, Michel, Guice (look out next year), and Chubb were four RBs I was sure about in this draft. I have no doubt Chubb will do well. Get scared and sell now if you want, but I really don't see a need to sell now unless you are getting a great deal.

1 minute ago, Ace_King said:

They traded Hyde, a good and proven RB, to free up touches for Chubb. They aren't going to have him take a back seat or join an even committee with Johnson under these circumstances.

Facts.  Duke's role staying the same.

2 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

Facts.  Duke's role staying the same.

Which in PPR is good. I think that Hyde being gone means Chubb gets Hyde's touches. Duke will get more touches and targets because Chubb isn't getting his usual three touches a game. I think there will be a slight uptick in his snaps due to Hyde being gone. Both benefit from Hyde being gone, just Chubb benefits significantly more.

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

Which in PPR is good. I think that Hyde being gone means Chubb gets Hyde's touches. Duke will get more touches and targets because Chubb isn't getting his usual three touches a game. I think there will be a slight uptick in his snaps due to Hyde being gone. Both benefit from Hyde being gone, just Chubb benefits significantly more.

This sounds about right.

11 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Barkley, Michel, Guice (look out next year), and Chubb were four RBs I was sure about in this draft. I have no doubt Chubb will do well. Get scared and sell now if you want, but I really don't see a need to sell now unless you are getting a great deal.

And I have three of them in my keeper league (Michel, Guice, Chubb) along with Mahomes...but I can only keep three :(

I figured I may as well get in the CSB parade. :lol: Haha!!

3 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't necessarily believe Duke's role is about to explode with Hyde gone, but I do think he'll get more snaps and more touches with Hyde gone. This is just my opinion, but I think they'll lean on Chubb for the running role, and if there are any passing down snaps that Hyde got, those will go to Duke. Two reasons...Duke is the better pass catcher and Chubb is not a good pass blocker. I'm not sure if Duke is, but we know that's a knock on Chubb. 

So yeah...benefits for both Chubb and Duke as a result. 

6 hours ago, mmm sod said:

Lol the idea that this is weakness is silly.  

The socratesian "I know that I know nothing" is a smarter thing to say than "OMG YOU CAN JUST TELL HE"S GONNA BE A SPECIAL PLAYER"

Sometimes the boring thing is the most reasonable thing to say and to make outlandish predictions just because

Well said, then again maybe not so well said I will let you know later. 

Definitely benefits Chubb more than Duke. I understand Duke owners want to bask in the glory as well. Duke will be serviceable most weeks but the real winner in this is Chubb. He is the reason thy let Hyde go and immediately named Chubb the starter. Not the other way around.

Y’all are missing the point...I’m not saying duke takes the workload I’m saying upcoming game flow is going to be a lot more like the SD game where they’re playing from behind and Duke benefits.  This is a significant risk.  Wthout being in the pass game Chubb is gonna have some upcoming 12-42 type stinkers.

15 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

Y’all are missing the point...I’m not saying duke takes the workload I’m saying upcoming game flow is going to be a lot more like the SD game where they’re playing from behind and Duke benefits.  This is a significant risk.  Wthout being in the pass game Chubb is gonna have some upcoming 12-42 type stinkers.

This is what I’m worried about and I’m surprised nobody has really acknowledged this.

The upcoming schedule is great but the Browns do not play with the lead very much. I understand they are going to want to use ball control to keep the other teams offense off the field but you have to believe there are going to be stacked boxes. At least until the receivers quit dropping passes and Mayfield proves himself.

49 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Definitely benefits Chubb more than Duke. I understand Duke owners want to bask in the glory as well. Duke will be serviceable most weeks but the real winner in this is Chubb. He is the reason thy let Hyde go and immediately named Chubb the starter. Not the other way around.

In fantasy what we care about is distribution of opportunity and production, so hyde being trade benefits both Chubb and Duke if you  believe Haley  redistributes the workload and calls schemes that benefits the talents of his rb's based on game script. 

Facts are the Browns are a very bad offense once you get past the moves. They are ranked #31 in passing offense and # 14 in run pre Hyde trade.

Incorporating Duke more will probably improve their passing game production more than Chubb getting extra touches improves their running game. 

I think both as fantasy assets  definitely improve because both of their situations improve with the removal of an above average rb limiting their opportunity. 

Question is will the Browns actually improve their offense post Hyde trade which increases the values of all fantasy positions on the team  because currently they suck. 

9 minutes ago, purpdrankplaya said:

The upcoming schedule is great but the Browns do not play with the lead very much. I understand they are going to want to use ball control to keep the other teams offense off the field but you have to believe there are going to be stacked boxes. At least until the receivers quit dropping passes and Mayfield proves himself.

Mayfield can very well tear a defense up. Stacking a box on mayfield especially as the bucs or atl or KC defensive secondary’s, is a mistake. 

24 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

This is what I’m worried about and I’m surprised nobody has really acknowledged this.

It's been acknowledged multiple times itt since the trade went down. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

And I have three of them in my keeper league (Michel, Guice, Chubb) along with Mahomes...but I can only keep three :(

I figured I may as well get in the CSB parade. :lol: Haha!!

Its too bad you don’t have the best one! 

Regarding the claim the Browns play down so Chubb will struggle...

I say the Browns played down because Chubb wasn't playing...

Chubb controls game script...

Chubb scores tds...

Chugga chugga chugga chugga choo Chubb train! :ph34r:

2 hours ago, cheezor42 said:

A look at their upcoming schedule as well screams Duke Johnson time to me.  I’m still cautiously optimistic on Chubb but Duke will be heavily involved.

Look at the work Hyde was getting, and the way Haley runs his offense.  This is 100% Chubbs backfield and no game script will completely favor Duke over him.

Archived