NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nick Chubb 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jimithing11 said:

He doesn’t catch passes. That limits his upside. He’s a poor mans Sony Michel in terms of situation. Chubb May be more talented, but Michel has a better offense/line and can bank on volume and scoring chances.

That's why I think the 14 to 18 range is accurate.  With Lynch being injured, Hyde potentially losing long term value, Ajayi going down, D. Freeman on IR, I think he provides enough value to be top 18 almost guaranteed with those players losing value.  Can see him averaging 18 Rushes, 70 yards, .5 Rushing TD's, 2 targets, 1 catch, 8 yards.  So like a 12 points per game type player.  Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, dams513 said:

That's why I think the 14 to 18 range is accurate.  With Lynch being injured, Hyde potentially losing long term value, Ajayi going down, D. Freeman on IR, I think he provides enough value to be top 18 almost guaranteed with those players losing value.  Can see him averaging 18 Rushes, 70 yards, .5 Rushing TD's, 2 targets, 1 catch, 8 yards.  So like a 12 points per game type player.  Thoughts?

Looking at the numbers it seems like a lot of rushes and a lot of yards but then I look at Hyde's numbers and he was averaging 19 rushes, 64yds, .8 TDs, 1.7 targets and 1 catch for 5 yards. Definitely seems reasonable especially since Chubb has looked more explosive in his limited work thus far and Mayfield should improve as season continues while the defense has been good enough to keep the Browns in games. 

3 hours ago, DemonFF said:

Picked up Chubb week 4 to cuff Hyde. The trade was a nice surprise . Not sure if I'm starting him over Ingram or Latavius this week but I'm hoping after this week he's just set and forget :D

Not starting over either of those guys?  You are missing one of his best matchups...  Ingram is @Baltimore, that's an easy choice IMO.  

6 hours ago, jimithing11 said:

He doesn’t catch passes. That limits his upside. He’s a poor mans Sony Michel in terms of situation. Chubb May be more talented, but Michel has a better offense/line and can bank on volume and scoring chances.

I wouldn't say he doesn't catch passes because that implies he just can't catch. I honestly don't know if he can catch because he simply wasn't utilized that way in college. It will be interested to see how he can develop in that area. 

Melvin Gordon was also a project in the receiving game coming out of college and now he's one of the premier pass catching backs. 

5 hours ago, munde53 said:

I wouldn't say he doesn't catch passes because that implies he just can't catch. I honestly don't know if he can catch because he simply wasn't utilized that way in college. It will be interested to see how he can develop in that area. 

Melvin Gordon was also a project in the receiving game coming out of college and now he's one of the premier pass catching backs. 

Doesn’t matter if he can catch or not. Johnson isn’t losing his 3rd down role.

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Doesn’t matter if he can catch or not. Johnson isn’t losing his 3rd down role.

Have you considered the wild possibility that he might catch a few passes on 1st and 2nd downs? And while Duke will certainly have a role, I wouldn’t say Chubb will always be taken off the field on every third down. If it turns out he’s a capable receiver he could be a 3 down workhorse. 

9 minutes ago, GurleyBoy said:

Certainly matters whether they throw him some screens, flat passes and dump offs on 1st and 2nd downs or not...

Watch his college highlights. He caught plenty of dumpoffs. He can catch if needed.

2 hours ago, jtbgator said:

I have dubbed today as Chubb Sunday. I'm feeling it. She's feeling it too.

giphy.gif

Nice....but I would not be surprised to see this become DUKE JOHNSON DAY  instead. TB has been pretty good ag. The run, although with McCoy out, that should weaken them.  However, RBs have been able to receive very well ag. Bucs defense and have scored 8 tds receiving. 

I own both both players and I’m seriously leaning toward Duke today. Sorry to bust anyone’s bubble. I hope they both eat....like I said, I own both. 

2 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Have you considered the wild possibility that he might catch a few passes on 1st and 2nd downs? And while Duke will certainly have a role, I wouldn’t say Chubb will always be taken off the field on every third down. If it turns out he’s a capable receiver he could be a 3 down workhorse. 

What is the word on Chubb as a pass catcher?

10 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Nice....but I would not be surprised to see this become DUKE JOHNSON DAY  instead. TB has been pretty good ag. The run, although with McCoy out, that should weaken them.  However, RBs have been able to receive very well ag. Bucs defense and have scored 8 tds receiving. 

I own both both players and I’m seriously leaning toward Duke today. Sorry to bust anyone’s bubble. I hope they both eat....like I said, I own both. 

Agree. Nobody knows. It could be Chubb. It could be Duke. Could also be both. 

4 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Agree. Nobody knows. It could be Chubb. It could be Duke. Could also be both. 

Because we don’t know how coach is playing this, unless you desperately need a RB with potential, this may be a good week to bench both and watch from sidelines. I may do that......still not sure. It is a GTD. Lol

Archived