NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nick Chubb 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

1 hour ago, boltup15 said:

Disagree. Chubb can catch the ball perfectly fine. You’re going to say bingo based on how a college team used him? How many times are we going to put bias on a player who didn’t have many receptions in college and say he can’t catch...but Sony Michel can catch with his 9 receptions his senior year...

Michel the previous year was a great receiver. He's at least done it. Chubb never has. When he's in the game -- as you eloquently put it -- defenses know it's a running play.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Michel the previous year was a great receiver. He's at least done it. Chubb never has. When he's in the game -- as you eloquently put it -- defenses know it's a running play.

Nick Chubb's career high is 18 receptions, Sony Michel's career high is 26. Are we really going to make this claim over a difference of 8 receptions over the course of 12-13 games? 

8 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Chubb had 18 for 213 his freshman year, before giving way to others while he was injured. I think it was more a product of a healthy stable of RBs then his inability to catch. It even happened to michel this year, with swift leading for most rb receptions. Just the way Georgia seems to use their rbs. Constantly getting the next guy involved. Hes been touted as a better pass catcher then hes given credit for. 

I dont really think it will matter as long as duke is around anyways. Then again, crowell has caught 68 for 500+ the past two years. Another guy who showed very little in college receiving the ball. There may be some room for receptions.

1 hour ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Chubb had 18 for 213 his freshman year, before giving way to others while he was injured. I think it was more a product of a healthy stable of RBs then his inability to catch. It even happened to michel this year, with swift leading for most rb receptions. Just the way Georgia seems to use their rbs. Constantly getting the next guy involved. Hes been touted as a better pass catcher then hes given credit for. 

I dont really think it will matter as long as duke is around anyways. Then again, crowell has caught 68 for 500+ the past two years. Another guy who showed very little in college receiving the ball. There may be some room for receptions.

Yeah, I agree. The question really shouldn't be, can Nick Chubb be a competent receiver. The question should be, will Nick Chubb ever be asked to play 3rd downs and catch the ball out of the backfield. The obvious answer, based on how NE and CLE run their offenses, is that Sony Michel will likely have more opportunities to catch the ball. There is no value in debating over which of the two is good or not good at it.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:49 AM, Rolling Thunder said:

And Dorsey has proclaimed openly that he prefers RBBC.  If Haley is on the same page, then this backfield in DND for me (as much as I respect Hyde and am impressed with Chubb).

Has Haley ever been a rbbc guy?   

12 hours ago, wonderbread said:

Nick Chubb's career high is 18 receptions, Sony Michel's career high is 26. Are we really going to make this claim over a difference of 8 receptions over the course of 12-13 games? 

Love Chubb. Would consider him as early as 1.02. That said, we’ve all had close games, some very close. The first championship I made it to, lost by less than one point. The pain.  I’ll take any extra points I can gather, any time I can get them.

8 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Has Haley ever been a rbbc guy?   

Yes. Look at his last full season as KC HC (2010): Jones, JC and McCluster. 

It was a RBBC in PIT until Bell blossomed.

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Yes. Look at his last full season as KC HC (2010): Jones, JC and McCluster. 

It was a RBBC in PIT until Bell blossomed.

Wait...It takes a dominant performer in a backfield to end a rbbc-?

Amazing!

On May 9, 2018 at 12:26 PM, 96mnc said:

As prospects entering the NFL I'd rank them:

Freshman Chubb

Senior Hyde

Senior Chubb

ATF...Junior Billy Sims

I sort of like Chubb at his current ADP as a late 8th round flier.

Agree with all the points here about RBBC, rookie QB, The Browns etc. but Chubb was a stud before his injury at GA and by the time he got back up to speed S Michelle was there to split carries with so it seems like he could have been a little undervalued if he is truly back to pre-injury form. I believe his combine results didn't indicate any reason to believe he isn't back. I also like Todd Haley being there. I can't remember if he used an RBBC in KC but I know he didn't in Pitt.

Seems like every years there is an RB that blows up out of nowhere and right now I kinda like Chubb.

• 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Lol. Definitely looks worse than Hyde. 

On her Twitter feed 1 below that tweet she posted a video of a really nice over the shoulder down field catch by Chubb though. So there's that. 

Just watched that catch that was a beauty!

• 1 month later...

I watched the Browns game last night and Chubb looked like a complete, total plodder. He was slow and had no burst. The twitter video above gives an accurate idea of his speed. It looks like he runs with a pair of 20lb iron boots attached to each foot. 

Chubb had a very Matt Asiata-like stat line:  15 carries, 11 yards, 0 TD's. Very ploddy. The lone bright spot was he had one catch for 12 yards. 

21 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

He looked terrible - reminded me of Trent Richardson.  Slow footed and very hesitant on hitting any holes.

TRich is faster than Chubb.

This is one preseason game. Hope my leaguemates are as reactionary as you people.

2 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

TRich is faster than Chubb.

This is one preseason game. Hope my leaguemates are as reactionary as you people.

Reactionary by making an observation? Regardless of whether or not we should put much stock into preseason, the tape and numbers speak for themselves.  He was playing well into the third quarter which means that was done against 2nd/3rd string players.

1 minute ago, ludawg23 said:

Reactionary by making an observation? Regardless of whether or not we should put much stock into preseason, the tape and numbers speak for themselves.  He was playing well into the third quarter which means that was done against 2nd/3rd string players.

Talk to me a few weeks into the regular season when he still looks like crap.

He might; not like I am right all the time. But not putting any stock into dude's first preseason game. Hopefully his ADP falls.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Nick Chubb 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic

Archived