NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nick Chubb 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AJJones said:

What I think I see is that the Giants D >> Browns O. They read every play, stacked the box, the Browns O-line seemed to collapse on almost every play, and they got to Chubb consistently around the line of scrimmage. Each hole he dived into had a LB waiting with a big grin, waiting to bust his a$$.

I can't judge whether that was a bad O-line, inept play calling, great Defense from the Giants, all of the above or something else I'm missing, but it looked very painful. 

On 8/10/2018 at 7:03 PM, mdw5048 said:

PFF actually gave Chubb 26 yards after contact last night. He finished with 11. That’s how bad the line was. Not saying he wasn’t part of it, but they didn’t do him any favors either.

I didn't watch all of his runs, but the few I did see he was trying to outrun defenders sideline-to-sideline and failing. Just can't do that in the NFL. That wasn't on the OL. He had a nice catch in space making a few defenders miss. But he also had quite a bit of room and the defenders didn't look serious trying to tackle him.

4 hours ago, devaster said:

I didn't watch all of his runs, but the few I did see he was trying to outrun defenders sideline-to-sideline and failing.

The link is above. I did watch all of them and I see:

1) 0:07 tackled 1 yd behind the Los. Tried to find a weak side gap but it collapsed before he even gets there.

2) 0:14 runs through the a-gap for .5 yd. 

3) 0:23 tries the strong side C gap for 2 yd

4) 0:30 2 TE formation, gets another 2 yd or so through the middle.

5) 0:37 can't see properly but looks like 2 TE plus the slot. Again through the middle, same result.

6) 0:44 7 man on the line, 8 defenders. Going through the middle again, predictable result (ie zippity doodah).

7) 0:48 through the middle, surprisingly gets nothing.

So far all heavy traffic, completely useless play calling.

8) 0:56 goes to the strong side, 2 LBs own in and stop him cold for -2 yd.

9) 1:01 through the middle. Yawn. Do you want to know what happened? I don't.

10) 1:09 nothing on the weak side. No wait, he actually fights on in heavy traffic and gets another 4 yd. New career high!

11) 1:21 through the middle and the Giants D actually gets caught (they didn't think anybody could be that stupid) for a couple yards.

12) 1:28 can't see the start but goes to the sideline and gets tackled for -2

13) 1:33 up the middle for 3 yd

14) 1:42 collapses basically at the whistle. -1.

15) 1:51 goes backwards to the sideline for -4 trying to make something of another collapse.

Are we there yet? I'm crying and I don't even care about Chubb or the Browns, but this is just bad football.

16) 2:00 FINALLY. Short pass, gets the first down. Oh my dog.

17) 2:10 one more collapse for -4.

baby.gif

TL;DC (didn't care):

Stay away from the Browns backfield unless they start throwing balls. It's amazing Chubb got the yards he did, to be honest. 

And somebody please send your resume to the Browns, they're going to need an OC real soon.

Yeah I watched every play as well, there was nothing a power back could do there. He could have kept slamming it into the middle but then everyone would be saying (some are anyways) that his vision sucks and all he does is run into the backs of his linemen (because they were being shoved into the backfield). He bounced a couple to the outside after the middle was clogged and got nothing there either as that’s not his game. Power is his primary asset and contact balance is a close second to that. He didn’t really get a chance to show either of those. He looked very comfortable on his reception, catching the ball away from his body and making a man miss before running through a second tackle. I wouldn’t expect him to have redraft value barring an injury to Hyde but this did nothing to damper his dynasty outlook.

I understand the members who are pessimistic on the entire Browns RB Corp but I took him in one of my leagues as a lotto ticket. I can remember prior to the injury this guy being at the top of a lot of the experts RB boards. Not an ideal situation but using one of my last picks on him is low risk with potentially high rewards if things go right. If not I can drop him and grab someone else. In my opinion it is better than grabbing another meddling player who puts up pedestrian numbers and will never start for me anyway

56 minutes ago, AJJones said:

So, after a re-watch, he looked more comfortable as the game went on, but that didn't really result in more production. It confirms, glaringly, what we knew about him - he isnt creating his own yards.

It was one game. His first game in the NFL. It confirms nothing.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, Boudewijn said:

What I think I see is that the Giants D >> Browns O. They read every play, stacked the box, the Browns O-line seemed to collapse on almost every play, and they got to Chubb consistently around the line of scrimmage. Each hole he dived into had a LB waiting with a big grin, waiting to bust his a$$.

I can't judge whether that was a bad O-line, inept play calling, great Defense from the Giants, all of the above or something else I'm missing, but it looked very painful. 

A lot of plays had no running room. Some plays did look like he screwed it up, like at the 1:23 mark of the 2nd video. It looked like he had some lanes on that run to get to the 2nd level, and cut the wrong way into a LB. Anyways, it was his first NFL touches. On the first carry he's got happy feet before the ball is even snapped. He probably was nervous and it will only get better so I'm not writing him off after 1 preseason game.

20 minutes ago, owenmills said:

A lot of plays had no running room. Some plays did look like he screwed it up, like at the 1:23 mark of the 2nd video. It looked like he had some lanes on that run to get to the 2nd level, and cut the wrong way into a LB. Anyways, it was his first NFL touches. On the first carry he's got happy feet before the ball is even snapped. He probably was nervous and it will only get better so I'm not writing him off after 1 preseason game.

We don't have to write Chubb off after one preseason game, but the problem for his outlook here in 2018 is that he is behind on the depth chart to Carlos Hyde, an experienced NFL back with a high draft pedigree of his own, and a proven track record of success.  For Chubb to pass Hyde, Chubb needs to blow the doors off the preseason.  Thanks for those who posted replays of his runs against the Giants.  Whatever else the case may be, Chubb likely did nothing to cause the Browns CS to move him up in the competition against Hyde.

5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

We don't have to write Chubb off after one preseason game, but the problem for his outlook here in 2018 is that he is behind on the depth chart to Carlos Hyde, an experienced NFL back with a high draft pedigree of his own, and a proven track record of success.  For Chubb to pass Hyde, Chubb needs to blow the doors off the preseason.  Thanks for those who posted replays of his runs against the Giants.  Whatever else the case may be, Chubb likely did nothing to cause the Browns CS to move him up in the competition against Hyde.

It was one preseason game. I think Chubb is more of a bench stash, or keeper pick this year than anything else, and hopefully people are drafting him that way. If you're counting on him to be your RB2 or RB3 in week 1 he'll probably under-deliver. Maybe people expected him to come screaming out of the gates and take the starter role in game 1, but I was thinking it would take time and could easily be a RBBC all year. Hyde isn't a pushover and probably isn't going away completely. 

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

It was one game. His first game in the NFL. It confirms nothing.

Most backs do not create their own yards. He did not really create a ton of yards on his own in college either. Plenty of backs are successful with his skill set, but I don't think his skill set is going to change much.

16 minutes ago, AJJones said:

Most backs do not create their own yards. He did not really create a ton of yards on his own in college either. Plenty of backs are successful with his skill set, but I don't think his skill set is going to change much.

Sure.

My only point was that nothing is 'confirmed' after 1 preseason game.

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

I’d take a flier on Hyde over Chubb, but if the O line performs like they did (so far in the preseason) the guy to own is Johnson.

There are a lot more good players available at Hyde's spot is the only problem there. Goes as high as the 6th; not really a 'flyer'

17 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

There are a lot more good players available at Hyde's spot is the only problem there. Goes as high as the 6th; not really a 'flyer'

You’re right.

It will depend on how the draft goes, I wouldn’t take Hyde in the 6th.  But if there is a run on RBs early Hyde might fall enough to make him interesting.  I took Hyde 80th overall in a practice PPR draft yesterday.  I can probably get him cheaper in the real draft, but if I don’t its not a big lose.  I won’t be targeting Hyde, but I’ll draft him if I perceive value.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Nick Chubb 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic

Archived