NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nick Chubb 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/10/2018 at 10:43 AM, Boudewijn said:

"What I think I see is that the Giants D >> Browns O. They read every play, stacked the box, the Browns O-line seemed to collapse on almost every play, and they got to Chubb consistently around the line of scrimmage. Each hole he dived into had a LB waiting with a big grin, waiting to bust his a$$. I can't judge whether that was a bad O-line, inept play calling, great Defense from the Giants, all of the above or something else I'm missing, but it looked very painful." 

A lot of run-oriented sets & a lot of read/react up front by the Giants DL. Most of his early runs were designed to run up inside, then some of the later ones were meant to take wide. Not a lot of passion from Chubb, although he did fall forward on a good number of those. The Browns really struggled to get any movement up front. What you touch on there, that they never dialed out of those & you counter read/react with misdirection in the backfield. Get the D flowing then by design bring the play back the other way. There wasn't any of that, those were all front or on-side runs. Those paid to misguide us then anoint Hyde the lead 'back. He's an excellent RB and very capable of assuming the lead role, but it shouldn't be because of this. 

6 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

some of the later ones were meant to take wide

which play do you think was actually designed well enough to give him a fighting chance? I didn't see a coherent strong oline on any of the plays that would have given him actual space to make any run, inside, outside or backwards through the tunnel and on to the parking lot.

(Edit: I ask you because I think you have a better understanding of this than I do, and I fully admit I miss things)

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

"Which play do you think was actually designed well enough to give him a fighting chance? I didn't see a coherent strong oline on any of the plays that would have given him actual space to make any run, inside, outside or backwards through the tunnel and on to the parking lot."

I agree, but on him were a few where he's trying to take it wider or worse, giving ground! 

The "highlights" posted earlier from the Giants game might have been the worst I have seen in a long time.  He had no room to run, the O-line didn't open up many holes and many times he was hit in the backfield.  Having said that I saw two possible holes that he was slow to get into. Granted they closed pretty quickly so hard to tell if Chubb was just slow to get through or if the Giants just were that good closing the gaps.

What concerns me is, he couldn't make any guys miss until the one pass he caught and that one looked good.  His few times he took it outside he got tackled for a loss.

Guys, unless things drastically change I'm out.

58506752-300x187.jpg

Unless you're in a super deep league or you botch your draft and miss the boat on RBs, this guy should be passed on. 

Why would someone spend a pick on a player who will end up on the WW by week four? To me he appears like someone who may be relevant later on in the season but for now he's not done the exciting things he needs to do to beat out other lotto tickets.

The only people who should be interested here are those in keeper leagues.  Is he worth a late buy and hold on the hopes you can keep him for good value next year?  That's the question. 

Dynasty?  You're in for the long haul.  Gotta wait to see what the opportunity and coaching staff looks like next year. 

Redraft?  Clogged backfield on a bad team.  Move on

54 minutes ago, TC84 said:

The only people who should be interested here are those in keeper leagues.  Is he worth a late buy and hold on the hopes you can keep him for good value next year?  That's the question. 

Dynasty?  You're in for the long haul.  Gotta wait to see what the opportunity and coaching staff looks like next year. 

Redraft?  Clogged backfield on a bad team.  Move on

Whoa whoa whoa, hey now.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Nick Chubb 2018 Outlook
  • 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, swetooth9 said:

this guy a hold or a drop?

To me, he's a hold in keeper leagues. In redraft leagues, I don't view him as a keeper unless you also own Hyde. I would certainly not hold onto him over someone on the wire who could help my team now. 

Chubb through 2 games 5 carries for 35 yards for 7ypc

Hyde through 2 games 38 carries for 105 yards at 2.8ypc

Hydes longest runs (on 38 carries) have been 10/12. 

Chubb's longest runs on just 5 carries have been 17/8. 

It's a long season and eventually the cream does rise to the top....unless Hue Jackson is the head coach. Chubb owners have to root for the Browns to keep losing so that they can put an end to this charade and begin the transition to Baker/Chubb.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Ryedog87 said:

Still holding him?

I am.  The offense looked rejuvenated under Mayfield, and if Hyde goes down (which is not a stretch given his injury history), he'll be a solid RB2.  I normally hate the idea of rostering handcuffs, but I'm making an exception with Chubb.  Plus the Browns took him at the top of the 2nd round, so they clearly think highly of him (and may have had some misgivings about Hyde themselves).  If you're in a keeper or dynasty league like I am, I think it's almost a no-brainer.  

As a Hyde owner I would like to have Chubb as a handcuff, especially since it is a keeper league. Acquiring him will be difficult as some owners believe his value is higher than it actually currently is. Which could be true - especially if Hyde gets injured.

Having said that I always find it difficult to keep handcuffs as we get into bye weeks.  If you can't start a player, even as a flex, it is impossible in some leagues with smaller benches to hold on to lottery tickets.  

As of now you can't start Chubb so his value isn't that high unless there is an injury.  If Hyde stays healthy through the majority of bye weeks I will look to acquire Chubb more aggressively.  RIght now though the ask is too high and it is all based on what "could" happen.

12 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

As a Hyde owner I would like to have Chubb as a handcuff, especially since it is a keeper league. Acquiring him will be difficult as some owners believe his value is higher than it actually currently is. Which could be true - especially if Hyde gets injured.

Having said that I always find it difficult to keep handcuffs as we get into bye weeks.  If you can't start a player, even as a flex, it is impossible in some leagues with smaller benches to hold on to lottery tickets.  

As of now you can't start Chubb so his value isn't that high unless there is an injury.  If Hyde stays healthy through the majority of bye weeks I will look to acquire Chubb more aggressively.  RIght now though the ask is too high and it is all based on what "could" happen.

The way they all operate... if such and such happens I've got a rb1 so you should give me Odell Beckham for him... well if such doesn't happen he's worth ts on a boar hog 

Pretty wishful thinking considering Hyde is currently on the outside looking in to the RB1 conversation 

I know how people love their rookie RBs but let’s pump the brakes a bit. Chubb has looked completely pedestrian so far

On 9/26/2018 at 2:47 PM, lolcopter said:

Pretty wishful thinking considering Hyde is currently on the outside looking in to the RB1 conversation 

I know how people love their rookie RBs but let’s pump the brakes a bit. Chubb has looked completely pedestrian so far

Maybe I'm blind but Hyde's ypc this season is 3.3.  I think Chubb needs to be given a chance to validate that his current ypc of 6.0 is real or just inflated because of sample size.

3 minutes ago, RuffinthePasser said:

Maybe I'm blind but Hyde's ypc this season is 3.3.  I think Chubb needs to be given a chance to validate that his current ypc of 6.0 is real or just inflated because of sample size.

Report back after this next game. Tyrod at QB was doing that running game no favors

Archived