NBC Sports Edge Forums
Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

I think a lot of what will determine what will happen with Verdugo when Puig comes back is what he does while he is out.  If he does really good, then I'm not sure they can do anything but play him everyday.  Yes, I know, some teams/managers do stupid things, but without Taylor in the OF now, there probably really is a spot open for him now if he can take it.  Plus, it's not like service time or continued development should be that much of an issue since this is the second time he's been called up now.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dodgers go platoon heavy.   But what i personally would do when everyone is healthy is play Kemp, Joc, Puig in the OF.

I don't think anyone was suggesting the swings were remotely similar, but the production upside. Nick Markakis, at his best, was a 20-24 HR bat (before the HR explosion, mind you, so in today's stats

He is starting and hitting 7th, although his RW blurb will lead you to believe he is not....smh

56 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Can Verdugo and/or Puig play CF?  If they can it would seem like there's room for both in the lineup now.

With their speed, I don't see why not, but I'm sure somebody else out there can give a better answer than me.

Watching the game last night, Verdugo didn't have a very good game defensively.  He threw way over the cutoff man letting a runner advance.  He also misplayed a ball, that while it still would have been a tough catch, could have been caught if he hadn't overran it.

I say this knowing nothing about his defensive skills other than what I saw watching last night.  Something to monitor anyway.

19 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

So with Chis Taylor most likely moving to SS, does this open a spot for Verdugo? 

Just realized Verdugo has played quite a bit in CF in his career.  He also started 4 games in CF for the Dodgers in September.

I think as long as Puig is on the DL, Verdugo handles RF nearly full time (may sit against some LHP).  When Puig returns, Verdugo may have hit himself into an everyday lineup spot, whether that's in RF or in CF (allowing Kike to play all over).

Hitting 2nd tonight. It'll be interesting to see how long he sticks there guess it'll be up to him. Tough matchup tonight against Godley though

15 minutes ago, cpdaly said:

So do we think Verdugo stays up now that Seager is in the DL?  

Yes, as long as he hits.  Once the OF gets healthy, it could be an issue, but I think it becomes a forgone conclusion if he hits like he should.  Others have forced the hand of their team like Teoscar Hernandez and probably Miguel Andujar.

1 hour ago, DidiFan said:

Hitting 2nd tonight. It'll be interesting to see how long he sticks there guess it'll be up to him. Tough matchup tonight against Godley though

No C.Taylor in line up. So doubtful.

2 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

No C.Taylor in line up. So doubtful.

Probably right, but honestly Taylor should be the one dropped in the lineup.  I get having Pederson up there right now with is .400+ OBP, but Taylor's is horrendous.  I know why he started the season up there, but at some point Verdugo should get a long look up in one of the first two spots with Pederson.

In the end, I'll just be happy if Verdugo sticks in the lineup, but obviously a nice prime spot before Bellinger is always nice.

2 hours ago, street sharks said:

What are some comps he's been getting, projections wise, maybe even this year? I know almost nothing about him so I imagine someone here could clue me in

prime nick markakis is probably his ceiling. 

On 5/2/2018 at 11:57 PM, mulhollandvelvet said:

prime nick markakis is probably his ceiling. 

These swings do not look very Markakis-esque, at all really. Theres a lot more upside here. Markakis is the definition of decent floor without any ceiling. 

CluelessLargeGuineafowl-size_restricted.

Edited by loro1991
  • 1 month later...

Now that Max Muncie has exploded onto the scene has that effect Verdugo moving forward is he a hold in Dynasty do we get to see him this year again? Is Verdugo hidden well enough in the minors to come back up I haven't checked in on him lately anyone have thoughts

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 4:31 PM, loro1991 said:

These swings do not look very Markakis-esque, at all really. Theres a lot more upside here. Markakis is the definition of decent floor without any ceiling. 

I don't think anyone was suggesting the swings were remotely similar, but the production upside. Nick Markakis, at his best, was a 20-24 HR bat (before the HR explosion, mind you, so in today's stats that's probably a 24-28 or 30 HR bat) who also hit .300 (withing 10 points at least for about 10 years) and would swipe double digit bags. People DROOLED over 'Kakis following 2007, 43 doubles, 23 HR, 112 RBI, 18 SB, .300 BA. I would say that kind of upside for Verdugo is probably about right. 

Mind you, Verdugo has never shown + power. 6 HR and 27 2B in 117 games last year. 13 HR and 23 doubles the year before in 26 games. Slugged .436 last year and .407 the year before. More of a contact oriented approach. Really, a Markakis comp may not be exciting but it's probably pretty accurate. If you get 20 HR/.300 BA/10 SB out of Verdugo in a couple of years you gotta feel really good about it. Verdugo strikes me as a high floor/low ceiling guy just because of what he's done in the minors. 

• Like 2

I honestly hope he stays with the Dodgers.  There's clearly a developmental approach that the Dodgers are taking that's working for some guys (Taylor last year, Muncy this year, possibly coming next with Verdugo).  They're working to drive power with their players, and Verdugo, already having the bat to ball, is a fascinating guy for me.  Add in the MLB juiced ball, and I would not be at all surprised to see him become a very strong fantasy contributor in the near future.

Puig's injury probably offers a chance to call up and showcase Verdugo, but I don't see them selling him for a rental like Machado.  What is potentially interesting, is that Pederson and Hernandez are scuffling a smidge over the last couple of weeks.  I don't think they're likely to be displaced, but why not see if Verdugo can cement a spot the same way Muncy has?  That only makes the team even stronger if he's able to do it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Is Verdugo going to be moved?  It was nice for the Dodgers they were able to get Machado and keep Verdugo.  Would love to see him called up but not sure if the opportunity is going to be there.

In 261 minor league at bats this year he is batting .349 with a .902 OPS,  8HR, 4 SB

It is the PCL league, and the lack of HR is a concern, but he has really put up some nice numbers.

He's been a great hitter so far in the minors, but with minimal power.  Seems to be more of a gap power hitter (doubles) so far, but obviously he can grow into more HR power over time like a lot of other hitters can.

Seems like that profiles as a better real life player right now than a fantasy baseball one, but the way so many players are struggling this year to hit for a respectable average, I think Verdugo could have a place as long as they give him decent playing time.  Turner going on the DL helps.

7 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Any chance Verdugo gets regular playing time? IDK the status of LA OF right now

Dunno.  I suppose, but he's not playing tonight since for some odd reason Roberts felt the need to start Utley.  It should be a definite yes with Turner being on the DL, but as Muncy should just play 2B against RHP all the time and Bellinger would be at 1B, opening up an OF spot for Verdugo.

10 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Dunno.  I suppose, but he's not playing tonight since for some odd reason Roberts felt the need to start Utley.  It should be a definite yes with Turner being on the DL, but as Muncy should just play 2B against RHP all the time and Bellinger would be at 1B, opening up an OF spot for Verdugo.

maybe its not so odd considering it's Utley.. and it's Philly