NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alen Hanson 2018 Outlook

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems too young, underweight, and fast for the giants liking.  His speed merits a pickup in deeper leagues.  

It was also a waste how they seemed to go out of their way to not give him an opportunity when he was with PIT & CHW too. There were lots of reports by unnamed sources about off-field stuff like w

All this dude does is hit

On 6/4/2018 at 9:51 AM, WahooManiac said:

The older i get the more i realize people self create their own problems.  The fact that 3 teams haven't gone out of their way to develop him screams out bad work ethic.  I personally know nothing about the guy,  but those reps are usually earned.  

He has no options and is on a one year deal.  Why would anyone think they would pour their efforts into this guy? 

Admittedly I don't understand much about baseball contracts, but shouldn't he still be pre-arb? If so, the Giants would have several years of team control.

Would be crazy to put him over panik with this sample size, but if he's for real clearly a much more electric player.

Edited by w@ffles
7 minutes ago, castaway98 said:

Leading off today.

And playing SS today.  Played 3B yesterday. 

Before he forces the old school fogies to finally make him an everyday player, I don't mind that he is getting starts all over the place.  Five starts on Yahoo at a position and we add another blade into this Swiss army knife guy for this year.  And next for dynasties and keepers.

Joe Panik hitting 8th today against a LHP.  After a HR in the opener off of Kershaw, he's done nothing against lefties all year (9 for 50).  Hanson's path to "rosterable" playing time might be to force a platoon at 2B, and pick up enough spot starts elsewhere against RHP.

Could still be a tough road though without just outright supplanting Panik at 2B  (and Panik does have an .843 OPS against righties, which is also Hanson's stronger side this year).  Alen needs to keep hitting.

Edited by castaway98

I had this guy for a little while, and I've liked what he's doing this year...except for what he did to my Boxberger in back-to-back games, lol. But unless he's completely reinvented himself in this SSS, there's some significant regression that will be incoming. 

His BABIP is .357, which isn't ridiculously high, but he's only reached that level twice in his professional career (rookie league and A-ball). His AA and AAA BABIPs ranged between .306 and .321. If he returns to that, his BA will come with it...though I don't think anyone really believes he's a .354 hitter. 

His ISO is at .418 in SF...nothing even close to it at any point in his career. His HR/FB% is 23.8...he only had one other season that even reached double-digits in his career. 

He's cut his K% a bit from his minor league norms, but nothing drastic. 

I guess this is kind of a "duh" post because we all know the regression monster is coming for him and his current numbers are found in a SSS. The question is what his numbers will look like when they do normalize. Right now he's hitting .354-14-5-17-3 in 55 ABs. The only one of those numbers that I believe is remotely repeatable throughout the season is his SBs.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, castaway98 said:

Joe Panik hitting 8th today against a LHP.  After a HR in the opener off of Kershaw, he's done nothing against lefties all year (9 for 50).  Hanson's path to "rosterable" playing time might be to force a platoon at 2B, and pick up enough spot starts elsewhere against RHP.

Could still be a tough road though without just outright supplanting Panik at 2B  (and Panik does have an .843 OPS against righties, which is also Hanson's stronger side this year).  Alen needs to keep hitting.

I think Hanson's path is in the OF. Panik is the kind of player Bochy will be fiercely loyal to...hard nosed player, puts the work in and is as consistent as they get. The SF outfield is more of an unknown with aging McCutcheon and Pence...CF is a black hole but Hanson has the speed but no experience there so that's a no...LF looks to be Williamson's so RF may be his platoon opp if there truly is one IMHO.

On 6/9/2018 at 2:05 PM, wayzupusc said:

I think Hanson's path is in the OF. Panik is the kind of player Bochy will be fiercely loyal to...hard nosed player, puts the work in and is as consistent as they get. The SF outfield is more of an unknown with aging McCutcheon and Pence...CF is a black hole but Hanson has the speed but no experience there so that's a no...LF looks to be Williamson's so RF may be his platoon opp if there truly is one IMHO.

I would rather have Hanson go to LF.  Obviously I have no say in what goes on, but I don't know why they continue to want to trot Williamson out there regularly.  They don't need the right handed power, and already watching his mediocrity in that OF the last couple seasons is getting old.  

12 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Out of the lineup once again...

You'd think they'd let the guy hit

His numbers vs lefties are pretty bad.

As a PH today he's 2/3 with 2 2Bs...replaced Longoria after he got HBP.

He definitely deserves more regular ABs, but he's also playing himself into the pinch-hit extraordinaire role...hopefully he doesnt get typecast as that.

32 minutes ago, jrhmr said:

Did longoria’s injury look serious? Would be be slotted in there?

I was watching the game.  He got drilled pretty square around the knuckle of his pinkie area (sorry don't know all the official terms).  They showed a close-up while he was on first and it was pretty purple already.  Haven't heard anything, so wouldn't be shocked if I heard bad contusion, but equally won't be shocked if I hear micro fracture.  If Longoria had to miss some time, I would hope they give Hanson a chance at 3B just to get his bat in the lineup.  Belt's return could complicate things, as they could move Pablo to 3rd and force Hanson back to the bench.

Looks like he was removed from the game after fouling a ball of his leg.  

"San Francisco Giants infielder Alen Hanson fouled a ball off his left knee in the first inning Wednesday and went down immediately in pain. He remained there for several minutes until trainers helped him off the field."

http://www.sfexaminer.com/san-francisco-giants-alen-hanson-goes-lower-leg-injury/

Unclear how serious it is, but the linked article makes it sound like he could be out for a bit.

1 minute ago, Hanghow said:

Knee contusion and he was in the dugout afterwards. I'm thinking it's more day-to-day.

If he was an was an established, multi millionaire veteran with five years left on his contract he would be out 3-4 weeks.