NBC Sports EDGE Forums

May Closer Thread 2018

31 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Command isn't great.  But never has been. 

But the bigger issue is it seems that his cutter is lacking that late action.

It's been a couple of appearances since I checked and it doesn't seem like anything has changed.

Buckle up because it's depressing.

Kenley is essentially Will Harris right now.

29 minutes ago, norton17 said:

I’d say Johnson is the add...and with Middleton being on DL with elbow inflammation it could be long term or recurring 

Not Anderson? He pitched yesterday, so maybe wasn't available tonight

Edited by street sharks

40 minutes ago, norton17 said:

I’d say Johnson is the add...and with Middleton being on DL with elbow inflammation it could be long term or recurring 

10 minutes ago, street sharks said:

If you have the room, try to stash both and see how things play out next few games.

6 hours ago, street sharks said:

That feels like a stretch. He came in during the 7th on Tuesday. Johnson got the last out of the 8th before Bedrosian blew the save. Then Johnson got the save last night. 

I’m betting Jim Johnson is your Bud Norris type for now. We’ll see how long it lasts. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

That feels like a stretch. He came in during the 7th on Tuesday. Johnson got the last out of the 8th before Bedrosian blew the save. Then Johnson got the save last night. 

I’m betting Jim Johnson is your Bud Norris type for now. We’ll see how long it lasts. 

Unfortunately no save - he came in with a three run lead but one out. I picked him up yesterday so when I saw the score this morning I was hoping for a save, but no luck.

15 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Why are you guys wasting your time on Melancon?

I mean, you are applying the "Holland Logic", ie, Melancon is the highest paid reliever in the bullpen, he is paid to be the closer, therefore when he is healthy he will be the closer.

But, like Holland, isn't virtually every sign otherwise negative? The health-related stuff I've been reading about him, yikes.

Just wash your hands of him and move on. Worry about him when he actually gets a big-league hitter out in a meaningful situation.

I mostly agree, and have washed my hands of him, but I do disagree with the last sentence.  As a Strickland owner I will continue keeping tabs on Melancon, because by the time he is back and getting out MLB hitters, he'll be scooped in most leagues. I'm just keeping an eye on him to hedge my bets, not that I think he's going to be a great add. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I mostly agree, and have washed my hands of him, but I do disagree with the last sentence.  As a Strickland owner I will continue keeping tabs on Melancon, because by the time he is back and getting out MLB hitters, he'll be scooped in most leagues. I'm just keeping an eye on him to hedge my bets, not that I think he's going to be a great add. 

It’s a little different in SF than STL though because Strickland looks like he is peaking currently to be a top 10-15 reliever and has always had that kind of potential while Norris or Gregerson have been JAGs or worse for years. So it makes more sense to move on from melancon than it does from holland, even though both guys are dicey bets right now to say the least. 

Edited by cyberer

I'm not sure if it's semantics or just they way people view the situations, but not all blown saves / runs are created equal.

If a guy like Norris blows a couple of one-run leads by, say, giving up a lead-off double and a two-out single -- while striking out a couple of guys in the process -- it's not the end of the world. In fact it probably won't even move the needle. After all no reliever is perfect.

But if we're talking walks, HRs, hard outs and blown three-run leads, then yea, I'd say almost any closer's job could be in jeopardy--the ones with the shortest track records the first to go.

Why is it that the lesser closing options always are more likely to get hurt?

Was just enjoying Middleton after having saves be a struggle in my league, then boom he's on the shelf. Says he expects to be back in 10 but then what was the issue exactly. Not like he had a ton of security anyway yet, Middleton owners crossing our fingers here (especially those who missed out on Anderson due to WW hawk league mates).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, screaming_vultures said:

The only thing i will say is that the leash is pretty short for Bud Norris. No where close to what we saw for Holland in the past 2-3 weeks. If he blows a few in quick succession, we may not see him for a while. 

Why even worry about that right now.  You could say that for at least half the closers.  

If they put Holland back out there in the 9th anytime soon there will be riots by Cardinals fans

Edited by The Waker

You guys do realize that people here play in leagues other than shallow mixed?  I get being disappointed and fed up with Holland and Melancon but seriously advice to ignore until saves are accumulated is absurd in many leagues.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

You guys do realize that people here play in leagues other than shallow mixed?  I get being disappointed and fed up with Holland and Melancon but seriously advice to ignore until saves are accumulated is absurd in many leagues.

Agreed. I play in a deep 16 teamer and a 20 teamer with 25 man rosters as well. I rarely even check into this thread because there are not many names that get mentioned here that are not already scooped up in those leagues.

I guess the mentality of owners in 10 team leagues with 3-4 man benches that don't count holds could be different however.