NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

Colome has been a little bit better is there any chance for Alvarado?

Doubt it unless Colome implodes again.  As others have probably said earlier, his leash is probably still long enough since they probably plan on trading him.  Maybe eventually for Alvarado.

• Like 1

Rodney looks like he has found a groove. His pitches look like they have more movement and sink toward the knees. Such an experience.

Before even though he was throwing hard, the location was terrible.

Edited by papasmurf

Well someone has to do it...

We have seen ONE true closer dethroned this year (Holland) and he may close again.  

Brewers had an injury

Angels and Orioles were basically committees.  

Rough year so far for don't pay for saves guy.  :blink: 

14 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

We have seen ONE true closer dethroned this year (Holland) and he may close again.  

Brewers had an injury

Yeah and holland was drafted at a discount. The closest we have to a deposed elite arm is Jansen. Also add melancon to the disgraceful list/injury list.

17 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Brewers had an injury

Not really.

A lot of random arms -- Boxberger, Strickland, Norris, Kela, Middleton, Soria -- recording saves. Then there's the cheap, "non-proven" closers -- eg, Greene, Treinen -- performing OK too.

And it's still early.

I mean, it's still a total crapshoot, but the guy who didn't pay could have done OK so far.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Not really.

A lot of random arms -- Boxberger, Strickland, Norris, Kela, Middleton, Soria -- recording saves. Then there's the cheap, "non-proven" closers -- eg, Greene, Treinen -- performing OK too.

And it's still early.

I mean, it's still a total crapshoot, but the guy who didn't pay could have done OK so far.

My 3 closers along with O'Day. Sitting 4th in saves. I don't believe in paying a lot for saves but if the price is right than go for it. This year for some reason closers went for more than last year and I wound up only drafting Boxberger who wasn't even announced as the closer when we drafted. If you are active enough there is no reason to spend a lot for saves.

Edited by duke of queens
4 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Not really.

And it's still early.

Yeah it’s a bit CSB, but I drafted 0 closers in my deep NL only, got boxberger In the endgame and waivered holland after he signed and became eligible, so my “don’t pay for saves” season outlook is pretty good, just as a case example. 

the non-saves guys probably drafted hader and/or bradley and a crappy closer. They are doing fine. I'm one of them.

Although in my 16 team league I was able to draft Strickland and got a nice deal that landed me Segura and Morrow early on.

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Brewers had an injury

Thanks. Now we are going to have 3 pages of “cool stories” in how they did it right.

• Like 8

So who's getting the next save opp for the Angels?  Johnson?  Anderson?  Other?

Part of me says to roster Anderson and bet on the skills and stuff.  Part of me says to not bother with any of this.  Middleton says he's fine and will be back after the minimum, and maybe he will.  But we've also seen guys grossly underestimate their DL stints before.

2 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Part of me says to roster Anderson and bet on the skills and stuff.  Part of me says to not bother with any of this.  Middleton says he's fine and will be back after the minimum, and maybe he will.  But we've also seen guys grossly underestimate their DL stints before.

I think it’s one of those two...really could be either. I’d think Johnson, but while I think it was worth speculating last week, I’m not sure it is at this point.

I think the good news for Middleton owners is that no one took the job and ran with it. If he’s back at the end of this week, there’s no question as to whose job it is. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Indeed. Even if say Anderson gets a opportunity and converts it cleanly, observing Scioscia's recent usage trends there's no guarantee he'll go back to him for the following opportunity!

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Brewers had an injury

As mentioned above -

Strickland 

Box

Rodney 

Treinan

Soria

Norris

Middleton

Greene

Hader

All from  the waiver wire or last guys drafted.

• Like 1

If Middleton is honest, he should be back by this weekend with Knebel I think

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

As mentioned above -

Strickland 

Box

Rodney 

Treinan

Soria

Norris

Middleton

Greene

Hader

All from  the waiver wire or last guys drafted.

Closers 20-30 have been ok thus far.  Shallow leagues may have gotten these guys from the waivers.  Pretty good chance all but Middleton & Norris were drafted.  Some owners try to draft one or zero closers.  Those are the owners hurting right now.  Meanwhile they're burning 4 bench spots rostering guys like Addison Reed and AJ Minter and missing out on other valuable players on the wire.  

22 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I heard their GM was on MLB radio over the weekend and indicated it would be Jim Johnson.

32 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I heard their GM was on MLB radio over the weekend and indicated it would be Jim Johnson.

Sure, until he exploded Saturday night.  Now what?

What's going on in Atlanta?  Is that still a committee?  I dropped Minter a while back, so haven't been monitoring.  Just one save for AJ and it was 4/27.  Is it back to being Viz' job exclusively, or just not a lot of save ops?

13 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Sure, until he exploded Saturday night.  Now what?

Play Roshambo?  

Don't know when the interview was nor did I see Johnson's game, but his stat line would indicate fielding didn't help him.  Plus everyone sucked Saturday.  

Just checked and last 3 successful saves were by Viz and he hasn't blown one since 4/11.  So, I assume he's just regained the role, but wasn't sure if there was anything official from the manager or something.

8 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Play Roshambo?  

Don't know when the interview was nor did I see Johnson's game, but his stat line would indicate fielding didn't help him.  Plus everyone sucked Saturday.  

Johnson blew it twice in that game in consecutive innings.  it could just as easily be Parker next time.

23 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Johnson blew it twice in that game in consecutive innings.  it could just as easily be Parker next time.

Or Bedrosian who has also not looked good.

I think this mess is good for Middleton keeping the role once he returns.  Nobody else ran with the opportunity... In fact they ran away from it. 

Edited by kittenmittons

Phillies recalled RHP Seranthony Dominguez from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

Dominguez has made a full-time move to the bullpen this season and has dominated, posting a 1.62 ERA and 21/3 K/BB ratio over 16 2/3 innings between Double- and Triple-A. The 23-year-old has a big arm and it might not take long before he's working in high-leverage situation

Interesting name to track here. The numbers have looked pretty nice and Philly has been talked about plenty on here the last month or so.