NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, street sharks said:

So is Brittongetting the job back for sure assuming he's not a train wreck? Doesn't seem like anybody has really captured the 9th inning job while he's been gone

As long as his rehab continues to progress, I don't see why not.  As you said, neither Brach nor O'Day have run away with anything, so it is Britton's job for the taking IMHO.

8 minutes ago, Zombies said:

Charges will be dropped, MLB will investigate and probably suspend him...

I would imagine he will be at least out on bail, and still remain wit the Jays closing for now. MLB would likely investigate to see what happened and then issue some suspension. I wonder how long this will take.

13 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

what could happen/is likely to happen here?

who is next, Oh or Tepera ?

`

C monkey has Tepera up next.  Both guys have solid numbers

2 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I would imagine he will be at least out on bail, and still remain wit the Jays closing for now. MLB would likely investigate to see what happened and then issue some suspension. I wonder how long this will take.

Knowing MLB probably months...

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Zombies said:

Charges will be dropped, MLB will investigate and probably suspend him...

Did someone report the charges were dropped?  What is your source?

Rotoworld blurb on same seems to indicate a court date is already set:

John Lott of The Athletic reports that Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna was arrested Tuesday morning and charged with assault on a woman, per Toronto Police.

Details are scarce right now, but Lott added in a story that Osuna is scheduled to appear in court on June 18. The Blue Jays have yet to issue as a statement on the the arrest. MLB will investigate the matter and per the domestic violence policy, Osuna can be suspended even if he isn't convicted. The 23-year-old has saved nine games for the Blue Jays this season while posting a 2.93 ERA in 15 appearances. Tyler Clippard, Seung Hwan Oh, John Axford and perhaps Ryan Tepera would all be potential candidates for saves if/when Osuna is suspended.

Source: John Lott on Twitter      May 8 - 1:16 PM

I know it is early and full details have no been released, but based on the history of MLB dealing with domestic violence cases (Steven Wright 15 games & Aroldis Chapman 30 games) and from what I have read, Chapman was found not guilty by police but was still suspended 30 games. Would you trade for Osuna in a buy low scenario? Would you drop Osuna if you owned him? Would you hold until further details come out? I wonder how long the MLB will take to make a decision on the suspension (if any).

Edited by jh83
12 minutes ago, jh83 said:

I know it is early and full details have no been released, but based on the history of MLB dealing with domestic violence cases (Steven Wright 15 games & Aroldis Chapman 30 games) and from what I have read, Chapman was found not guilty by police but was still suspended 30 games. Would you trade for Osuna in a buy low scenario? Would you drop Osuna if you owned him? Would you hold until further details come out? I wonder how long the MLB will take to make a decision on the suspension (if any).

Gotta hold for more details and MLB timeline.  

MLB has placed Roberto Osuna on Administrative Leave in accordance with the Join MLB-MLBPA Domestic Violence Policy.

So here is a history of suspensions from the MLB when dealing with domestic violence.

Jose Reyes 51 games

Arolids Chapman 30 games

Steven Wright 15 Games

Jeurys Familia 15 games

• Like 1

Major League Baseball has placed Roberto Osuna on administrative leave following his arrest Tuesday morning in Toronto for assaulting a woman.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-closer-roberto-osuna-charged-assault-toronto-police/

Toronto Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna was arrested early Tuesday and charged with assaulting a woman, according to Toronto police.

Details of the alleged incident weren’t immediately known.

Osuna is scheduled to appear in court Monday, June 18.

The Blue Jays didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Major League Baseball, acting quickly, put Roberto Osuna on administrative leave.

“MLB takes all allegations of this nature very seriously,” the league said in a statement. “We are investigating the circumstances and have placed Roberto Osuna on Administrative Leave in accordance with the Joint MLB-MLBPA Domestic Violence Policy.”

Jose Reyes (51 games), Aroldis Chapman (30 games), Jeurys Familia (15 games) and Steven Wright (15 games) have all been suspended for domestic violence incidents and a conviction isn’t needed for discipline to occur under the policy agreed to in 2015.

Charges against both Reyes and Familia were dropped, they were never laid against Chapman while they were retired against Wright for 12 months.

1 minute ago, pbjfb said:

Surprisingly, clippard is getting more adds on Yahoo than tepera or oh

Clippard had been getting a lot of adds even before this.  He's been on a bit of a hot run regards Holds recently.  So add that "run" to this news and I'm not surprised at all. Especially after how poorly Oh did last season.

Also a lot of leagues use Saves +Holds so anyone in Toronto NOT doing the saving just got their value bumped anyway since if say Oh becomes the full time closer Clippard would likely be used even more for Holds now so that pumps his numbers in leagues like that..

I picked up Cippard in a league like this because he is hot, he may get more Holds if he doesn't close and because Oh will blow his chance if given one I believe in which case Clippard will be there ready to go.  Or he will get Saves right off the bat.  Covering the possibilities both ways in other words. 

Or put another way I went off the cliff with Oh last season so it is a "never again" thing with him and me. The divorce is final.

From what i can tell in looking at traditional save situations it looks like Clip and then Osuna in the 8/9th but this is thrown out the window in non save or tie games where its been all manner of variations among oh, tep and clip.

Tepera's numbers are good but in 16.2 IP this year he's allowed four home runs, including one in each of his last two appearances.

Couple that with Oh's and Clippard's closing experience and...Tepera will probably get the first shot. 

Edited by kirkcameron
  • Haha 3