NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

I don’t have any clue who’s closing on the Jays, so pick a horse and hope for the best. You can make a case for any of them, theoretically. 

Clippard - best numbers, has closed in the past, been primary setup guy. 

Oh - more closing experience, would allow Clippard to stay where he is. 

Tepera - this one seems like the biggest stretch to me, plus in the ‘what have you done for me lately?’ category, Tepera isn’t exactly killing it. 

Adford - I kinda hope it’s him for the fireworks. 

Gun to my head, Clippard or Oh, but I don’t know Gibbons’ tendencies here. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Oh has the experience. Tepera has been used in the 8th ahead of Osuna in the 9th.

Last 5 saves for Osuna have seen Tepera in the 8th 2X and Clippard directly ahead of Osuna 2X. 

So ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I actually think Oh may be third in line here despite his experience. 

11 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

Why does Yahoo have Osuna listed as DTD instead of NA since he's on administrative leave and deactivated?  He's clogging up a roster spot for many of us I suppose.  No way I drop him.

If he gets suspended he will NEVER get the NA designation.  He will get the SUSPENDED designation like everyone else in this situation or like people caught using PEDs.  Neither type are eligible for the NA slots on Yahoo ever and must remain on the active roster.

So since MLB has already put him on administrative leave is it then Day-to-Day is the best Yahoo can do I suppose until a suspension becomes official.  Which probably won't happen until after his side of the story is heard or Toronto just suspends him right off etc etc.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

Why does Yahoo have Osuna listed as DTD instead of NA since he's on administrative leave and deactivated?  He's clogging up a roster spot for many of us I suppose.  No way I drop him.

Suspended players don't get the NA tag on Yahoo. Only players who are in the minors. Source: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/sln14724.html Same thing happened to me last year with Familia IIRC.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Last 5 saves for Osuna have seen Tepera in the 8th 2X and Clippard directly ahead of Osuna 2X. 

So ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I actually think Oh may be third in line here despite his experience. 

Looking at Osuna's last 5 save opportunities, I count 3 set-ups for Tepera and 2 for Clippard. Though one of Clippard's "set-ups" was an extra inning game were Tepera pitched the 8th and then Osuna got a save in extra innings. The only game were Clippard was chosen to set-up over Tepera was on 4/30. But Tepera had pitched the prior two nights and it appears he was rested. I would say Tepera is the clear set-up guy, but that doesn't mean he'll get the job now.

5 minutes ago, Pap said:

True.

But he is not suspended, yet, he is on administrative leave fwiw

Which is not grounds to give him a NA designation since Yahoo knows full well what that "leave" is for.  And it isn't a "leave" granted by the ball club to attend a funeral or something either.  That's the type that gets the NA designation; not this which was a proactive move by MLB itself, not the team.

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Which is not grounds to give him a NA designation since Yahoo knows full well what that "leave" is for.  And it isn't a "leave" granted by the ball club to attend a funeral or something either.  That's the type that gets the NA designation; not this which was a proactive move by MLB itself, not the team.

Yeah, I have to agree, just wanted to point he is not suspended yet.

This really sounds bad, with how fast things unraveled. With criminal court involved are there any possible future consequences regarding his work visa? 

Edited by Pap

Was that last year or 2 years ago when Osuna missed a few games due to depression? Guy clearly has a ton of issues... hope he gets the help he clearly needs.

3 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Was that last year or 2 years ago when Osuna missed a few games due to depression? 

Anxiety.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Saucy said:

What are the odds he misses 15 games like Steven Wright? Or is he definitely going to be out for a much longer period?

The difficulty here is that most incidents in the past were during the offseason. So there was time to investigate and then rule without a player missing games. But it may take time before MLB even gets to that point. In which case Osuna is in a bit of limbo awaiting the decision. I'm not sure anyone else has really been in that situation. I can think of Reyes, who was basically stuck in limbo for almost 3 months (place on administrative leave in late February before MLB issues a suspension in mid-May. Though MLB did give him credit for "time served" on his supension)

• Like 1

Are we looking at a long absence for Osuna?  It's hard to figure out what FAAB owners may want to portion out for his replacement.

3 minutes ago, DWright5 said:

Are we looking at a long absence for Osuna?  It's hard to figure out what FAAB owners may want to portion out for his replacement.

Domestic assault on a female.

Yeah it's going to be a while.

3 minutes ago, DWright5 said:

I'd say yes.  Can't see him getting reinstated before his June 18th court date, and who knows how it shakes out after that.  Unless the charges are dropped and he gets credit for time served while in this limbo, I'd imagine he's done for the year.

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

The difficulty here is that most incidents in the past were during the offseason. So there was time to investigate and then rule without a player missing games. But it may take time before MLB even gets to that point. In which case Osuna is in a bit of limbo awaiting the decision. I'm not sure anyone else has really been in that situation. I can think of Reyes, who was basically stuck in limbo for almost 3 months (place on administrative leave in late February before MLB issues a suspension in mid-May. Though MLB did give him credit for "time served" on his supension)

That's my question too.  MLB has shown that it takes domestic abuse seriously, so isn't there a chance that Osuna remains on administrative leave until the matter's resolved, which potentially means the rest of the season?

14 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Also a lot has to do with the team.  The Blue Jays can just make a pro active decision to suspend him ahead of MLB's ruling.  It depends on their philosophy.  I'm sure they have spent the day trying to get his side of the situation, consulting with their lawyers AND their marketing department for that matter. 

I've visited Toronto a number of times in the past and it is a very progressive city so I don't know if the ball club can wait forever without making a statement move of their own if they think this is going south quickly.

As for the laws in Canada we need some Canadian fans to post how seriously these things are dealt with in Canada and if this could even effect his visa long term.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
2 minutes ago, kirkcameron said:

That's my question too.  MLB has shown that it takes domestic abuse seriously, so isn't there a chance that Osuna remains on administrative leave until the matter's resolved, which potentially means the rest of the season?

I may be wrong but I thought I read that an accused player on administrative leave can only be on there for up to seven days while allegations are investigated.