NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also a lot has to do with the team.  The Blue Jays can just make a pro active decision to suspend him ahead of MLB's ruling.  It depends on their philosophy.  I'm sure they have spent the day trying to get his side of the situation, consulting with their lawyers AND their marketing department for that matter. 

I've visited Toronto a number of times in the past and it is a very progressive city so I don't know if the ball club can wait forever without making a statement move of their own if they think this is going south quickly.

It's important to realize that this is also a real time incident post "#MeToo" movement. Not going into a discussion of the movement, but rather the impact it has on the scrutiny that will be afforded this case. MLB is dropping the hammer on Osuna. I cannot see how MLB takes the proactive step of re-instating him unless the charges are dropped or he's acquitted. I honestly would plan on this being season ending.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also a lot has to do with the team.  The Blue Jays can just make a pro active decision to suspend him ahead of MLB's ruling.  It depends on their philosophy.  I'm sure they have spent the day trying to get his side of the situation, consulting with their lawyers AND their marketing department for that matter. 

I've visited Toronto a number of times in the past and it is a very progressive city so I don't know if the ball club can wait forever without making a statement move of their own if they think this is going south quickly.

As for the laws in Canada we need some Canadian fans to post how seriously these things are dealt with in Canada and if this could even effect his visa long term.

Speaking of the Jays' marketing department...

Prior to his arrest, the Blue Jays had planned to host a free Roberto Osuna T-shirt promotion at the Rogers Centre for the team’s game against the Seattle Mariners on Thursday night.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4194714/blue-jays-roberto-osuna-assault-police/

2 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Thanks. You guys had me doubting my Clippard pick-up and I almost considered forgiving Oh for what he did to one of my teams last year.

That doesn't mean Oh won't get the job sometime but as for now he and I remain unreconciled.

Just now, kirkcameron said:

Speaking of the Jays' marketing department...

Prior to his arrest, the Blue Jays had planned to host a free Roberto Osuna T-shirt promotion at the Rogers Centre for the team’s game against the Seattle Mariners on Thursday night.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4194714/blue-jays-roberto-osuna-assault-police/

Wow.  They were lucky they didn't do this last night instead.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, jh83 said:

I may be wrong but I thought I read that an accused player on administrative leave can only be on there for up to seven days while allegations are investigated. 

I read it too somewhere.

I could be wrong but with criminal charges and all he could have trouble with US visa (Slava Voynov was practically deported from US for DVI). This has potential to end his carrier in MLB.

I think based on the comments GIbbs made, the usage of Clippard and how well he's performed this year that he gets the first crack but I think he and Oh should both be owned right now until we see how it plays out. 

Whoever it is has the chance to run away with the gig with a possible long term suspension for Osuna. This could be one of the bigger closer pickups of the season

Edited by BostonCajun
2 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I think based on the comments GIbbs made, the usage of Clippard and how well he's performed this year that he gets the first crack but I think he and Oh should both be owned right now until we see how it plays out. 

Whoever it is has the chance to run away with the gig with a possible long term suspension for Osuna. This could be one of the bigger closer pickups of the season

I hear ya but don't they all feel that way at first?

1 minute ago, Miketrout009 said:

Closermonkey has Tepera first in line. I guess we will find out very soon.

They updated their site before Gibson’s press conference. 

47 minutes ago, TopChuckie said:

I'd say yes.  Can't see him getting reinstated before his June 18th court date, and who knows how it shakes out after that.  Unless the charges are dropped and he gets credit for time served while in this limbo, I'd imagine he's done for the year.

That was quite a jump 

So pick your poison between one of three failed closers and Ryan “neon” Tepera.  Will probably be a committee and whoever sucks the least out of the gate gets it

Edited by kidtwentytwo
1 hour ago, Miketrout009 said:

I really hope we get a decision soon. My gut tells me also he is done for the year. My best hope is he gets a 40 game suspension like Chapman. 

Doesn't MLB usually wait til it plays out legally before making their own decision?  If so, then it's a question of whether or not they'll (MLB or the Blue Jays) let him play while it's pending legally. If the answer to that is no, and I would think it probably would be, then I can't see how he could play again this season, unless he goes for some sort of legal injunction, and since I believe he walked away from the game before for his own mental health, I would think playing baseball won't be his top priority during this.

I'm thinking this is a long absence for this season only.

As far as his work visa is concerned, Chapman and Familia didn't have issues from what I recall, so why would Osuna?  Different times?