NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 minute ago, RenegadeGM said:

I'm thinking this is a long absence for this season only.

As far as his work visa is concerned, Chapman and Familia didn't have issues from what I recall, so why would Osuna?  Different times?

The variable IMO is Canada vs USA

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, RenegadeGM said:

I'm thinking this is a long absence for this season only.

As far as his work visa is concerned, Chapman and Familia didn't have issues from what I recall, so why would Osuna?  Different times?

Both of them had their charges dropped, I think, not sure. But it's definitely different times right now. 

1 hour ago, Miketrout009 said:

I really hope we get a decision soon. My gut tells me also he is done for the year. My best hope is he gets a 40 game suspension like Chapman. 

There was a firearm involved in the Chapman DV right?  Familia's was pretty severe too b/c he threw his SO through a plate glass window as I recall.  

I'm hoping:

(a) that this was something relatively minor in the DV universe, like a slap or a push, and not a beating or something awful.  

(b) that children, weapons, drugs & alcohol weren't involved.

(c) the league conducts its investigation during the 7 day admin leave and issues a 15 game suspension and that the case settles out or otherwise has no bearing on Osuna's availability (e.g. Jail time).

after-which (d) the BJ's and his PR firm get on the same page with his public apology and plans for training/community outreach.

-or -

(e) that he was arrested on false charges and this goes away entirely.

And of course, IRL that he stops this BS.

Edited by ragrag
1 hour ago, ragrag said:

There was a firearm involved in the Chapman DV right?  Familia's Jose Reyes was pretty severe too b/c he threw his SO through a plate glass window as I recall.  

I'm hoping:

(a) that this was something relatively minor in the DV universe, like a slap or a push, and not a beating or something awful.  

(b) that children, weapons, drugs & alcohol weren't involved.

(c) the league conducts its investigation during the 7 day admin leave and issues a 15 game suspension and that the case settles out or otherwise has no bearing on Osuna's availability (e.g. Jail time).

after-which (d) the BJ's and his PR firm get on the same page with his public apology and plans for training/community outreach.

-or -

(e) that he was arrested on false charges and this goes away entirely.

And of course, IRL that he stops this BS.

Correction, was Reyes, not Familia who threw his SO into a sliding glass window.  Reyes got 51 games.  Familia got 15, Chapman got 30 for choking his wife and firing a weapon.  It's really going to come down to the details of the incident.

2 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Late to the party and all 3(!) possible guys taken apart from Axford. Is the axe man worth it if have no clear cut?

I would say almost certainly not. Axford has been used by the Jays in very low leverage situations any time I've seen him. Gibbons knows Axe isn't to be trusted. 

I'm not sure who / what combo of Clippard, Oh, Tepera they'll use (and my best guess is committee / hot hand), but I feel quite confident saying Axford isn't worth an add. 

Just now, terminator10 said:

Another 1-2-3-4-5-6 out save for Josh Hader

Hail Hader! The guy who has been THE CLOSER for MIL for almost the past month

Hopefully we still see some 7-8 inning Holds in front of Knebel going forward.

1 minute ago, Theschill38 said:

Hopefully we still see some 7-8 inning Holds in front of Knebel going forward.

Definitely. And I wouldn't rule out Hader receiving more saves than Knebel ROS. Either way, if it was a draft right now I'd choose Hader over Knebel for standard leagues.

Just now, terminator10 said:

Never was a thing....to people who knew what they were talking about.

It was and still is an argument over semantics. The other guy didn't want to call him the "closer" but liked him to pitch in high leverage situations and get saves, and you were adamant he was "the" closer. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you want to call him, he has excellent ratios and got the majority of the saves with Knebel out, but now it's back to the Andrew Miller role for him soon enough. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Definitely. And I wouldn't rule out Hader receiving more saves than Knebel ROS. Either way, if it was a draft right now I'd choose Hader over Knebel for standard leagues.

I would rule it out pretty easily unless Knebel gets hurt again or goes completely off the rails.  Hader has been amazing.  No doubt about it, but Knebel is their closer no matter how good Hader has done.  Besides, Hader is Counsell's Andrew Miller, so he'll be getting a lot more 2-inning holds than saves.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

It was and still is an argument over semantics. The other guy didn't want to call him the "closer" but liked him to pitch in high leverage situations and get saves, and you were adamant he was "the" closer. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you want to call him, he has excellent ratios and got the majority of the saves with Knebel out, but now it's back to the Andrew Miller role for him soon enough. 

He got every save opportunity he was available for. That is closer by definition, no semantics involved. Its pretty simple. Think about it, when you get every save opportunity on a team....you are the closer. Not sure what was the confusion from the start.

Edited by terminator10

He wasn’t available for the ninth on at least one occasion because his manager chose to use him in earlier innings despite a tight score.