NBC Sports Edge Forums

35 minutes ago, tcorb22 said:

Guess its time to find a Hader replacement :(

Not so fast. He is still very valuable even in standard save leagues. I wouldn't be shocked if he finishes with more saves than Knebel ROS. In fact I'm taking him over Knebel in redraft leagues ROS

Hail Hader!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Knebel is competent, unlike the rest of that pen. It's his job unless he completely falls flat. Hader is too valuable in the fireman role. That's a deadly back end with Hader - Knebel

And the remerging Jeffress.

• Like 1

Houston's situation for those interested:

Astros up 4-2 over the A's since the 6th:

- Peacock 6th + 7th spotless

- Devenski 8th spotless

- Giles now in the 9th ... let's see what happens ....

• Like 1

for what it's worth.

http://rotoprofessor.com/baseball/?p=35967

Expedition Saves: With Roberto Osuna Out Indefinitely, Who Is The Best Bet To Assume Role (And The Answer May Surprise You)

by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)

The news regarding Roberto Osuna has sent the Toronto Blue Jays bullpen into turmoil.  Lucky for the team they have numerous alternatives who could step into the now vacated closers role, but who is most likely?  Let’s take a look at the names who will be under consideration for the role:

Ryan Tepera – Right-Handed Pitcher
He’s been the primary setup man, leading the team with 7 HLD, and he’s been strong in the role with a 2.70 ERA and 1.14 WHIP.  He’s also been prone to home runs (2.16 HR/9), which hasn’t been the case throughout his career, and hasn’t always shown the best control (2.70 BB/9 in ’18, but was at 3.93 and 3.59 the previous two seasons).  That’s never a good mix, and when you throw in a 97.2% strand rate it appears that even if he does get the opportunity there’s a good bet that he’d ultimately stumble.

Seung-Hwan Oh – Right-Handed Pitcher
He has the experience of closing games, with 39 saves between 2016 & 2017, but he also has 8 blown saves over that time.  A lot of his struggles have come due to home runs (1.52 HR/9 in ’17, 1.17 this season), and given the ballpark and a career 34.1% groundball rate that’s something that could consider to plague him.  Throw in a 41.3% Hard% and 98.7% strand rate and would it really be surprising to see him struggle?  Like Tepera he could get a shot, but it’s easy to envision him failing once again.

Tyler Clippard – Right-Handed Pitcher
Clippard has experience closing, has long been one of the better setup men in the league.  That said while he owns a 1.47 ERA this season, he’s struggled in two key categories:

• Control – 4.42 BB/9, after a 4.62 mark in ‘17
  • Home Runs – 1.47 HR/9, which would be his third straight season of 1.40 or higher

That’s not a good mix for the end of a game and will likely keep him from being considered.

John Axford – Right-Handed Pitcher
Another veteran with experience, you can easily argue that he has the best makeup for the role today:

• Strikeouts – 8.27 K/9
  • Control – 3.31 BB/9
  • Groundballs – 54.5%

He does have a history of control issues (4.51 BB/9 for his career), so that’s going to be the key metric to watch.  If he can continue throwing strikes, even at his ’16 mark (4.11 BB/9) he has the highest upside of the uninspiring bunch.

Conclusion
At the end of the day the Blue Jays will likely use an uninspiring committee, and there’s a good chance none of the four names we’re currently eyeing end up claiming the role.  It makes sense to grab Tepera and/or Oh in hopes that they can get the job done, but at the end of the day the pitcher who arguably has the best chance to run with the role is Axford.  The savvy owner will stash him away now and see how things play out, though in general this is a situation we’d look to avoid.

• Haha 1

Axford...LOL. Good luck with that. I think I'd have to pass in standard leagues. He has a nice ERA and solid WHIP right now, but he hasn't had an ERA/WHIP this low since 2011, and I think he's a trainwreck waiting to happen, based on his career, if they hand him the job. 

I dropped Neris earlier this year but was able to pick him back up. Despite the committee talks it looks like Neris has a hold on the closer role even though he has had some issues early on. With the Phillies playing the way they are I wouldn't be surprised if Neris is a top ten closer this year.

3 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Translation: "we have no clue so we'll list everyone in the bullpen"

To be fair, that's kind of what we're doing here, innit?  Some people have working theories as to which way it'll go, but between Gibbons' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and nobody in the middle relief corps really distinguishing themselves, it's pretty much a crap shoot.

2 minutes ago, collucho said:

I dropped Neris earlier this year but was able to pick him back up. Despite the committee talks it looks like Neris has a hold on the closer role even though he has had some issues early on. With the Phillies playing the way they are I wouldn't be surprised if Neris is a top ten closer this year.

Top 10 is really optimistic, but I agree he's a good hold in any saves league. 

I think at this point Holland has a better chance of overtaking Bud than any of those 4 BJ's do of locking down the 9th for any considerable length of time.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

To be fair, that's kind of what we're doing here, innit?  Some people have working theories as to which way it'll go, but between Gibbons' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and nobody in the middle relief corps really distinguishing themselves, it's pretty much a crap shoot.

I agree it is a crap shoot right now, I'm just saying don't put much thought into the article because they just name anyone with a pulse. Rotoprof writing about Axford doesn't mean much. 

• Like 1
Just now, handyandy86 said:

I agree it is a crap shoot right now, I'm just saying don't put much thought into the article because they just name anyone with a pulse. Rotoprof writing about Axford doesn't mean much. 

I find it useful to have confirmation of negative results.  Does it add anything beyond what people have said in the thread?  No, but it serves as independent confirmation that we're looking at a crap shoot at best or a full-blown committee at worst.  That is useful information for people who have several different bullpens they might want to speculate on.