NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

For anyone that cares, this was the breakdown on FAAB spent on the BJs closer situation in my league:

Oh: 15%

Clip:10%

Tepera:8%

Axe: no bids

Yeah in my two leagues (not FAAB) - Oh was snatched in both, Clip and Tepera both snatched in one (available in my other).  No Axe grabs.

23 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

For anyone that cares, this was the breakdown on FAAB spent on the BJs closer situation in my league:

Oh: 11%

Clippard: 11% (Oh went first, so someone preferred him)

Tepera: 6%

Axford a FA

With Melancon due back at the end of this month, what's the chances of him being thrown into the closer roll and being healthy? I currently own Strickland so I'd hate to lose the closer situation in SF.  I'm in a pickle right now though. I've had a ton of people hit the DL and I'm not so sure I can hold Melancon. Starting to think he's not worth the DL stash. Thoughts?

11 hours ago, terminator10 said:

Not so fast. He is still very valuable even in standard save leagues. I wouldn't be shocked if he finishes with more saves than Knebel ROS. In fact I'm taking him over Knebel in redraft leagues ROS

Hail Hader!

Correct but holds do me no good. I need saves. 

What are we doing with Osuna here, i think he is a hold for another 3 weeks i think. This was a good article that i found(dont be fooled by the headline, there are a number of outcomes possible here):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmacramalla/2018/05/09/blue-jays-roberto-osuna-could-miss-the-rest-of-the-season-face-border-issues-and-a-civil-suit/#63aef0b72eec

2 hours ago, duke of queens said:

For the sake of over analyzing, Axford was the first name Farrel listed.

52 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

What are we doing with Osuna here, i think he is a hold for another 3 weeks i think. This was a good article that i found(dont be fooled by the headline, there are a number of outcomes possible here):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmacramalla/2018/05/09/blue-jays-roberto-osuna-could-miss-the-rest-of-the-season-face-border-issues-and-a-civil-suit/#63aef0b72eec

I deal a bit with visa's at work, although it's in the US not Canada.  I agree you have to hold him for now until more information comes out.  Is Osuna a US citizen or is he here on a visa?  I don't know.  It could be pretty complicated and make for a terribly boring discussion.  It's not looking good for him right now, but you have to wait it out.  

My thoughts / analysis on the Jays' situation:

Seung Hwan Oh:

Most recent usage:

May 5th - pitched 6th & 7th innings and came in down 4-1

May 3rd - pitched 9th inning of a 9-9 tie game on the road

May 1st - came in the 6th after Estrada started the inning and gave up 2 ER while losing 4-3

Apr 28th - pitched 6th inning while losing 5-1, and gave up a solo HR to Chirinos

Thoughts: 

Has closing experience with 40 career saves, and he's pitching well right now for the Jays.  However Gibbons seems to almost be using him as a fireman as of late, bringing him in earlier in close games or trying to preserve a lead.  Has 1 save this year and 2 holds, none of which have come in his last 7 outings.  Seems to be getting further away from hold/save situations than closer to them lately.

Tyler Clippard:

Most recent usage:

May 6th - pitched the 7th inning with a 1-run lead, got a hold

May 5th - pitched the 8th inning down 4-1, gave up an unearned run

May 3rd - pitched 7th inning with a 2-run lead, got a hold

May 1st - pitched 8th inning of a tie game, got the win

Thoughts:

Also has closing experience (60 saves), and he's also pitching well.  Walk rate is a little scary, but he's only given up 1 BB in his last 5 IP, compared to 8 K's, so that is a positive swing.  Consistently being used in high leverage situations in either the 7th or 8th innings, and has 5 holds (3 in his last 5 appearances).  

Ryan Tepera:

Most recent usage:

May 6th - pitched the 8th inning with a 1-run lead, gave up a HR, got the BS but also the W

May 3rd - pitched the 8th inning with a 2-run lead, gave up 2 ER including a HR, got the BS

May 1st - pitched the 8th inning of a tie game, ended up with the W

April 29th - pitched the 8th inning up by 5 runs

Thoughts:

No closing experience, but he's longer-tenured on the Jays than the other options, and was the primary setup man last season.  Gibbons obviously has a lot of trust in him, and all of his recent appearances have been in the 8th inning in a primary setup role.  Only blemish is that he's given up ER and HR in his past 2 outings, with blown saves in both of his last outings.  Has the team lead with 7 holds, but it's yet to be seen if Gibbons loses any trust since his most recent HR/control issues.

John Axford:

Most recent usage:

May 8th - pitched the 9th inning down 5-0

May 3rd - came in the 4th with runners on, got out of it and ended up pitching both the 5th and 6th innings effectively

May 1st - pitched the 7th inning down 1 run

April 28th - pitched 8th inning down 3 runs

Thoughts:

He has the most closing experience (144 saves), but seems to be used in the lowest leverage situations of all the closing options.  Most of his appearances are in games where the Jays are already losing, and he only has 1 hold on the year.  His numbers have been good, but it's basically all in mop-up duty.  He's also been used multiple innings a few times, basically where Gibbons is trying to save other arms for days they are more needed.

Reading the tea leaves, I have to think it comes down to Tepera or Clippard that will get first crack, and the most opportunities.  Axford for me is way out of the running, and is only included as a nod to the veteran's past experience.  Everything about Axford's 2018 usage indicates that Gibby is handling him with kid gloves and just trying to keep him out of trouble.  Oh also has some experience, but recent usage has seen him drifting further and further away from the setup / backup closer type role he started out the year in.  He's still being used in somewhat higher leverage situations, but more as a fireman or bridge to get to their true late inning guys.

As the quote from @JFS179 a few pages back showed, Gibbons mentioned Tepera and Clippard first when listing his options (not sure on that poster who said Axford was mentioned first, because I haven't seen that quote).  Tepera would seem to have a leg up based on how he has consistently pitched right before Osuna lately, but he's also given up some long balls and runs lately too.  Clippard has been right there nipping on Tepera's heels as far as pitching the 7th and sometimes 8th innings, and inverse to Tepera, he's been lights out lately with that 8:1 K:BB ratio in his last 5 outings.  He also has that veteran experience, so not sure how that will play into Gibby's decision.

At the end of the day I think Tepera and Clippard could both get chances early on (especially if something comes up back to back), but one could run away with it more if the other falters.   And this is all assuming the charges against Osuna are legit and he ends up missing significant time.  Personally I would put the most bank roll behind Tepera and Clippard, and wouldn't waste my time / dollars on the others.  I could end up being wrong, but recent usage and results point to it being more of a two-pitcher race than the all-out committee that the media has reported so far.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Knebel just got taken deep while getting work

Hader

Luckily it’s just a low leverage situation where the game is pretty much over with how Carrasco is pitching. I don’t think it means a whole lot. 

• Like 1
Just now, daethfromabove1979 said:

Luckily it’s just a low leverage situation where the game is pretty much over with how Carrasco is pitching. I don’t think it means a whole lot. 

the hot chick reporter for brewers broadcast said basically they're going to get him a few low leverage appearances before putting him back at the top