NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

The Milwaukee bullpen is what it’s all about.  Never mind that a casual fan could not name even one of their active SPs.  Hader/Knebel/Jeffress is lethal.

Looking at their starting 5 makes me sick, but when you have the best bullpen in baseball, that tends to offset things.  When is Jimmy Nelson coming back?  They need a legit playoff starter in the worst way.

May be they will trade for Chris Archer...

Neris (1-3) blew his third save of the season in Friday's 3-1 loss to the Mets, serving up two home runs among three hits in an inning of work.

The Phillies' closer wasn't fooling anyone Friday -- Michael Conforto crushed a fastball for the game-winning homer two pitches after he ripped a splitter just to the right of the foul pole, and Devin Mesoraco went back-to-back with Conforto on a first-pitch slider to tack on an insurance run. The only other homer Neris has allowed this season came on Opening Day, but his 5.17 ERA and 1.53 WHIP are signs he's been having issues even when the ball stays in the park. There's no closer controversy in Philadelphia yet, but if the 28-year-old continues to struggle, the team has plenty of promising young relief arms who could get a crack at the job -- including the recently promoted Seranthony Dominguez.

Please don’t take this as defending Jom Johnson, but it’s not like Scioscia dealt him the usual closer’s appearance of starting with a clean inning. He waited until Anderson served up a HR, a double, and a walk while only getting one out. 

Scioscia could've viewed this as bringing in his GB guy to try to get the double play, though that obviously failed. Either way, it’s been Johnson at the end a few times now, and while he got the blown save last night, he only allowed a single. Shouldn’t have been an issue if he starts with a clean inning. 

• Like 2

In Philly, I’d be all over Tommy Hunter right now. They paid him a fortune, he’s been the primary setup guy, he doesn’t walk a lot of guys, and aside from one two-run outing, he’s been really good. 

Don't overthink this. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Or you know cause Middleton just came back 2 days ago and threw 20 plus pitches and wasn't available...

I’ve said several times that it should be Middleton, but why would he be unavailable after one outing?  Nothing that I can find suggests he was unavailable last night. Also, we have no idea how his elbow responded to his first outing (where he allowed three base runners and was generally pretty wild).

I’d rather own Middleton than anyone else in that pen, but Johnson is a pretty close second. 

2 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I’ve said several times that it should be Middleton, but why would he be unavailable after one outing?  Nothing that I can find suggests he was unavailable last night. Also, we have no idea how his elbow responded to his first outing (where he allowed three base runners and was generally pretty wild).

I’d rather own Middleton than anyone else in that pen, but Johnson is a pretty close second. 

One day back from DL (elbow) and threw 22 pitches the day before. I don’t know that he was officially “unavailable,” but no one should be shocked that Scioscia wouldn’t want to go to him. He didn’t think it was necessary. It backfired. I think that’s great news for Middleton moving forward.

• Like 1

Justin Anderson was looking aight too. I have to admit, I was interested.

It's like Russian Roulette with so many of these relievers. You can put in the work, the research, etc. But at the end of the day it's binary: Either they convert their opportunities or they completely melt down.

Good luck predicting which outcome it will be.

10 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Hunter or Seranthony Dominquez

he's already pitched 3 scoreless innings

Kapler has a man crush on Seranthony so it wouldn't shock me

you have that man crush ...

Neris is the closer

once Morgan & Neshek get healthy your man crush player will be back in the minors

8 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Man...Knebel and Middleton lost their jobs to injury. Never pay for saves and hold injured closers if the current closer is rolling

Are you sure about that?

Why do the closer sites think Garcia or Dominguez is the next up in Philly—-I can’t see any reason (including usage) that it wouldn’t be Hunter.  Am I missing some info, or is perhaps they put Garcia there whilen Hunter was hurt and haven’t updated?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, kirkcameron said:

More saves for the Brewers rest of season: Knebel or everyone else?  I'll go with everyone else.

Why are people ignoring that they didn't want to pitch Knebel 3 days in a row after coming back?  There's a good chance he's the regular closer from here on out

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, kirkcameron said:

More saves for the Brewers rest of season: Knebel or everyone else?  I'll go with everyone else.

Barring injury or sudden ineffectiveness Knebel will be closing pretty much all Brewers' games just as most closers do.  

Signed, a loving Hader owner...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Or you know cause Middleton just came back 2 days ago and threw 20 plus pitches and wasn't available...

I think Johnson blowing the save - even if he wasn't given a clean inning - really hurts his chances. Yes, I'd still want Middleton over everyone else. But he started looking too wild before he went on the DL, and it's not like he has some long history of dominance. If his wildness continues, Scioscia isn't one to hesitate to change it up, and it's looking like Johnson is the next man up.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Barring injury or sudden ineffectiveness Knebel will be closing pretty much all Brewers' games just as most closers do.  

Signed, a loving Hader owner...

Exactly.  Anyone posting otherwise doesn't really know what they're talking about.  They were easing him back, and obviously he wasn't going to pitch 3 days in a row yet. It'd be surprising if Knebel doesn't get the next opportunity though, as he hasn't been bad in either of his two appearances since returning.

1 hour ago, kirkcameron said:

Assuming he's healthy Knebel.

Moderately concerned about Cody Allen's recent overuse, performance, and then lack of use. 

April 17th to now: 10 appearances, 9 IP

Since April 27th: 4 IP, 6 ER, 6 walks, 9 hits, 2 K's

He has not been used since May 6th, which was when he had his first blown save. 

I think he is likely fine, and that something would have come out by now if otherwise, but still something to take note of. When over-analyzing these situations you have to be ahead of the curve to ever benefit from them. 

Edited by loro1991
1 hour ago, herschel said:

Is Soria even worth owning at this point outside of deep leagues?  Just doesn’t get the save ops and when he does, he is below avg at best.  

He's worth owning somewhere.  But even in a deep league its getting tough.  Sharing ops on a team that hasn't created many,  and has been shaky while doing so.  Blood for saves leagues are out there though.  

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

I think Johnson blowing the save - even if he wasn't given a clean inning - really hurts his chances. Yes, I'd still want Middleton over everyone else. But he started looking too wild before he went on the DL, and it's not like he has some long history of dominance. If his wildness continues, Scioscia isn't one to hesitate to change it up, and it's looking like Johnson is the next man up.

I agree. As an Angles fan, I thought before the season Jim Johnson was weirdly going to end up getting saves this year. I am however still on the Keynan side of things. I think the last two days were more about Key just coming off the DL. I think even more so last night because he did pitch the day before. Coming back from an elbow discomfort, I thought that was the smart too. 

His command before the injury was a little bit unsettling. But I actually thought Scioscia was on board with him closing it out. He was one of the more consistent guys I’ve seen him use in a while. I think as long as Keynan continues to show decent command he will end up/stay there. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Exactly.  Anyone posting otherwise doesn't really know what they're talking about.  They were easing him back, and obviously he wasn't going to pitch 3 days in a row yet. It'd be surprising if Knebel doesn't get the next opportunity though, as he hasn't been bad in either of his two appearances since returning.

Knebel wasn't very good before he got injured actually he was garbage and its not like he has a strong resume of closing 3/4 of a year, if he falters at all i see the Hader/Jefferes combo coming back, they have been lights out together.Knebel walks a lot of batters compared with the other 2

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, loro1991 said:

Moderately concerned about Cody Allen's recent overuse, performance, and then lack of use. 

April 17th to now: 10 appearances, 9 IP

Since April 27th: 4 IP, 6 ER, 6 walks, 9 hits, 2 K's

He has not been used since May 6th, which was when he had his first blown save. 

I think he is likely fine, and that something would have come out by now if otherwise, but still something to take note of. When over-analyzing these situations you have to be ahead of the curve to ever benefit from them. 

It's been on my mind as well.   

Francona abused him while Miller was out.  Hopefully the time off recently has helped. 

Something to file away for dynasty leaguers, both Miller AND Allen are free agents after this season.   So are:

Norris and Holland

Herrera

Britton and Beach

Robertson

Kimbrel

Familia 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Knebel wasn't very good before he got injured actually he was garbage and its not like he has a strong resume of closing 3/4 of a year, if he falters at all i see the Hader/Jefferes combo coming back, they have been lights out together.Knebel walks a lot of batters compared with the other 2

Yeah he was garbage for those 2.2 innings...  Too small of a sample size to really say that.

Edited by kittenmittons