NBC Sports EDGE Forums

May Closer Thread 2018

1 minute ago, tuesdays said:

are the white sox trying to win?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. even teams that rarely win can have a closer that gets a good amount of saves.

if Rondon was the one to close for the White Sox I question how good he could be. he has 5.25 BB/9 this season after 5.74 BB/9 last season. that is too many walks for what I like. but if he gets the job he has value.

what is the deal with Soria? he hasn't pitched since the May 8th.

9 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

is Bruce Rondon really a "good" choice for saves with the White Sox?

Coming into today he went 6 straight appearances without giving up a run. The Sox announcers were saying the manager was saying he wanted to get Rondon “into a more meaningful situation “ so I guess the 9th against the Cubs was it. I can’t see this ending well but I’ve got a couple of teams desperate for saves so I might add but I’m really going to hate myself after if I do.

10 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. even teams that rarely win can have a closer that gets a good amount of saves.

if Rondon was the one to close for the White Sox I question how good he could be. he has 5.25 BB/9 this season after 5.74 BB/9 last season. that is too many walks for what I like. but if he gets the job he has value.

what is the deal with Soria? he hasn't pitched since the May 8th.

I misread what you wrote. I thought you meant to ask if it was a good decision by the white sox

Edited by tuesdays

1 hour ago, jagtrader said:

Kapler went to a Double-A game just to watch him pitch. Don’t know if that means saves. 

I didn't know this. This seems significant, especially considering he put him in high leverage situations so quickly. 

1 minute ago, jrhmr said:

Would you rather own Dominguez or Ramos in the Philly pen?

I grabbed both just to hold and see what happens. Knowing GK though, he’ll probably send Neris out for the next save situation and say today was “to send a message” or something. Ugh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BluezTraveler1995 said:

Parker has been better of late... Bedrosian hasn't gained any traction and Johnson didn't build anything today... might open back up for Blake?

Just a reminder that I want no part of that pen. Lol. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Just a reminder that I want no part of that pen. Lol. 

Me either, but I need saves. Into the muck I go!

New options appeared for the Phillies, Angels, and maybe the White Sox today. What order are we ranking?

Ramos

Parker

Rondon

Dominguez

Jim Johnson

• Like 1

All depends on if you are looking for immediate saves or future saves. Dominguez is the best arm on that list. Ramos might have the 9th right now though so if so he might be the best name on the list for now. Parker is only speculation however he has been very good of late and who else do the angels have... besides for the most unsexy closer name out there Jim Johnson. I'm not totally convinced Rondon has the 9th going forward. Could still be just one messy committee with a bunch of names nobody is really interested in. Rondon did have the hype a couple years ago though so maybe he is worth a shot. Just always seem to disappoint just when we get excited for him!

Still think Justin Anderson is the guy to own for the Angels despite recent struggles. Like Dominguez in Philly, Anderson is the fast track guy with the best stuff in the Angels pen. 

4 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Me either, but I need saves. Into the muck I go!

New options appeared for the Phillies, Angels, and maybe the White Sox today. What order are we ranking?

Ramos

Parker

Rondon

Dominguez

Jim Johnson

Honestly man I don't think anyone can answer that with any degree of confidence right now.  Rondon, Parker, and Johnson aren't exactly killing it recently in their career but could have a path to some saves...maybe.  Dominguez could be great long term but, Ramos may have more short term value.