Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

May Closer Thread 2018


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Me either, but I need saves. Into the muck I go!

 

New options appeared for the Phillies, Angels, and maybe the White Sox today. What order are we ranking?

 

Ramos

Parker

Rondon

Dominguez

Jim Johnson

I’d rank them exactly as you have them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

Like I said yesterday, we never know how Middleton will respond to coming back. Apparently not well. 

 

Jim Johnson time. SAGNOF

Third appearance in four days after returning from injury. Scioscia is what we thought he was

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Me either, but I need saves. Into the muck I go!

 

New options appeared for the Phillies, Angels, and maybe the White Sox today. What order are we ranking?

 

Ramos

Parker

Rondon

Dominguez

Jim Johnson

 

No MGivens consideration?   Last save in Baltimore and been pretty dominant recently...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

 

No MGivens consideration?   Last save in Baltimore and been pretty dominant recently...

 

Idk what to make of Baltimore. O’Day is set to return on Wednesday or Thursday. Brach has converted his chances since O’Day went down. 

 

If i thought Givens had the gig, I’d be all over him. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

 

Idk what to make of Baltimore. O’Day is set to return on Wednesday or Thursday. Brach has converted his chances since O’Day went down. 

 

If i thought Givens had the gig, I’d be all over him. 

My thoughts exactly...they have so many options there even if they trade Britton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

 

Idk what to make of Baltimore. O’Day is set to return on Wednesday or Thursday. Brach has converted his chances since O’Day went down. 

 

If i thought Givens had the gig, I’d be all over him. 

Britton getting closer to returning complicates Baltimore even further. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kittenmittons said:

Britton getting closer to returning complicates Baltimore even further. 


Britton was pretty ordinary last year but elite for 3 years so he Orioles will definitely hand him the 9th in short order.  Not only because of past history but obviously to increase his trade value (seems almost certain to be dealt).  If that happened I would think Givens would be a bit of an odds on favourite to getting the gig then.  I think now might be the time he gets to prove himself.  Getting that first clean save makes a difference  and he'll likely get another opportunity fairly soon.    If he gets knocked around then things can change quickly but his numbers are closer worthy.  Just needs a few more opportunities.   Should that happen the challenge is to figure out when to pounce  on Givens.   In holds leagues obviously a much easier question to answer - roster right now.  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

nobody else has really shown an ability to "close" with the Angles.  Scioscia could go with anyone. if the Angels want to contend don't they need to make a trade for someone reliable?

 

 

Usually happens by the trade deadline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m thinking it’s Parker this time around. That’s who originally should have had the job coming into spring training but then he was awful. Jim Johnson can’t pitch quality innings long term so I’m thinking they stick with Parker. He’s been pitching the best recently. Thoughts?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Parker - this article was posted over the weekend

 

Quote

 

For as much as he insisted that he was keeping the same mindset this spring, he now concedes that it might not have worked.

 

“Maybe I wasn’t completely ready like I should be,” he said on Friday. “I’m going to take it like a lesson.”

 

Veteran players often discount the results in spring training, because they are simply getting ready for opening day. For Parker, this was the first spring that he had the luxury of doing that.

 

He thinks maybe that position didn’t suit him.

 

“I just need to come in and go with what got me here, instead of just trying to get ready for opening day,” he said. “That’s not a routine that I’m used to. … I hate to call it my comfort zone, but that’s where I’ve been my whole career. I’ve never been a big name guy. I’ve always prided myself on proving myself.”

 

 

He's on a roll, he's done the job for Scioscia before.  He's as good a bet as anyone available there right now.  I can't see Jim Johnson lasting, for all my speculation he'd keep getting chances.  Parker bailed him out last night and got the W.  I have to think Scioscia's comfort with Parker from last season earns him more chances going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, knuckleheads said:


Britton was pretty ordinary last year but elite for 3 years so he Orioles will definitely hand him the 9th in short order.  Not only because of past history but obviously to increase his trade value (seems almost certain to be dealt).  If that happened I would think Givens would be a bit of an odds on favourite to getting the gig then.  I think now might be the time he gets to prove himself.  Getting that first clean save makes a difference  and he'll likely get another opportunity fairly soon.    If he gets knocked around then things can change quickly but his numbers are closer worthy.  Just needs a few more opportunities.   Should that happen the challenge is to figure out when to pounce  on Givens.   In holds leagues obviously a much easier question to answer - roster right now.  
 

 

I think Givens could be a pretty strong closer if given the chance.  He's been a pretty strong pitcher for a few seasons now.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him ultimately settle in as their closer post- trade season as I'd anticipate Brach and O'Day are both on the trade block, as well as Britton.  Baltimore would do well to cash in all those guys early to teams seeking bullpen help.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

what are the thoughts on Middleton? continual elbow discomfort that wasn't fixed while on the DL and still there now sounds really concerning. I can't help but to question whether he would miss significant time now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

what are the thoughts on Middleton? continual elbow discomfort that wasn't fixed while on the DL and still there now sounds really concerning. I can't help but to question whether he would miss significant time now.

 

I'd be very surprised if he's pitching in the next few weeks.  I'm thinking even with rehab, you're looking at 4-6 weeks probably.  Odds are we're looking at an extended absence right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Stein said:

My take is that Edubray Ramos is the guy who supplants Neris but more than likely works in a committee with him until Neris gets it right.

What about Dominguez? Idk who the right guy to own is hahaha :wacko:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's very rare a guy gets called up and immediately slides into the 9th inning role.  Ramos got the last one,  and has generally been good all year.  Seranthony prob has to wait a bit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://closermonkey.com/test/2018/05/14/phillies-enter-committee-mode-bruce-rondon-and-jim-johnson-could-see-more-save-chances/

 

Quote

Philadelphia Phillies – Two days after Hector Neris blew a save against the Mets, Gabe Kapler declared that the Phillies will no longer have a consistent 9th inning approach. This was Kapler’s initial plan in spring training, but the first six weeks of the season saw Neris in the role; now, it seems that it’ll be full-on chaos theory in Philadelphia going forward. Sure to be in the mix is Edubray Ramos, who go the save on Sunday. Neris is still in, too — he was warming up while Ramos was pitching. Seranthony Dominguez, who pitched a clean 8th and has yet to allow a baserunner in 4 major league innings so far, could get a look. So could Tommy Hunter and Luis Garcia. We’re putting Neris and Ramos at the top for now, with the understanding that, if Kapler keeps his word, the 9th inning could truly belong to almost anyone on any given night.

Updated hierarchy: *Neris | Ramos | Dominguez.
* = closer-by-committee

 

Chicago White Sox – Also entering committee mode are the Chicago White Sox, who turned to Bruce Rondon for the save yesterday afternoon. With Joakim Soria struggling and Nate Jones blowing his chance to seize the job earlier this week, Rondon seems like a good bet to take over if he can convert another save — though Rick Renteria isn’t calling him the new closer yet. For now, we’re slapping an asterisk on and will elevate the big righty to the top spot if he can do it again.

Updated hierarchy: *Soria | Rondon | Jones. 
* = closer-by-committee

 

Los Angeles Angels – Keynan Middleton exited Sunday’s game with a sore right elbow and will have an MRI today. No one really seized on the role in his recent absence, though Jim Johnson did convert a save on Thursday and is probably the best guy to own if Middleton is going to miss time.

Hierarchy remains: *Middleton | Johnson | Anderson.
* = closer-by-committee

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...