NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

For what it's worth...

fq3VeHQ.png

Doesn't include his numbers from tonight. That whip is ugly, but his k-rate and swstr% could help him out there. Seems due for regression with that xfip though.

Could be a Barraclough type unless he stops walking people?

I hate to be "that guy", but had a super busy weekend and now I'm like 15 pages behind. :lol:

What's going on with the Crew?  Pretty clear it will be Knebel again and they're just gonna ease him back into it?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I hate to be "that guy", but had a super busy weekend and now I'm like 15 pages behind. :lol:

What's going on with the Crew?  Pretty clear it will be Knebel again and they're just gonna ease him back into it?

Yes

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, dele said:

Why does Dominguez only have SP eligibility in ESPN when all of his major league appearances have been in relief?

Since nobody answered your question 

the dude was a starter in the minors since 2011. This year the Phillies made a switch to bullpen, that is why ESPN has the SP tag. After 10 RP appearances he will be SP RP 

12 hours ago, papasmurf said:

"Small sample" is something you can say about every single player. It doesn't change the fact that Minter has been garbage this year. It doesn't mean he can't turn things around. But the way he is RIGHT NOW, he's lousy.

AJ Minter numbers —— 17 Innings 15 Ks 2.65 era 1.59 whip 2 SVs 6 HDs 

That is lousy? 

What were you expecting? 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Since nobody answered your question 

the dude was a starter in the minors since 2011. This year the Phillies made a switch to bullpen, that is why ESPN has the SP tag. After 10 RP appearances he will be SP RP 

AJ Minter numbers —— 17 Innings 15 Ks 2.65 era 1.59 whip 2 SVs 6 HDs 

That is lousy? 

What were you expecting? 

A 1.59 whip is extremely lousy.  Or am I missing something here with your post? You don't have to dig much deeper from the whip to see he isn't doing great but I admit I haven't tracked him personally.  The k rate is quite pedestrian in this day and age as well.   I would expect both those numbers to improve as the season goes on. Otherwise he won't last in saves nor holds situations.

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 2

has Dan Winkler become the next in Atlanta?

http://rotoprofessor.com/baseball/?p=36044

Closer in Waiting Power Rankings: May 15, 2018: Surprise Atlanta Reliever Rising Up Rankings, Holland Back On Radars & More

by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)

Are you someone constantly on the lookout for the next potential closer? That’s what we are trying to pinpoint here, with our Top 5 Closer In Waiting Power Rankings. These rankings look at the pitchers who appear capable of taking over their team’s respective closing duties (though in some cases, will need some help to get there). Keep in mind, if a pitcher is currently part of a committee they will not be included in these rankings despite not currently “holding” the job outright.

Without further ado, let’s take a look at how things stand (all statistics are through Sunday, unless otherwise noted):

1) Josh Hader – Milwaukee Brewers (NR)
Current Closer – Corey Knebel

Maybe it’s a bad assumption that Knebel is returning to the role, though it makes sense having worked the ninth inning on Sunday (with a four-run lead) and the ability to keep Hader in a flexible role in the earlier innings.  That said Hader proved he can get the job done while Knebel was sidelined and it may not take too many missteps for the team to make a change.

(Hader was used for the seventh and eighth last night, strengthening the thought of Knebel returning to the role)

2) Chris Devenski – Houston Astros (NR)
Current Closer – Ken Giles

The Astros appear to have returned Giles to the closer’s role, but does anyone really trust him at this point?  It’s hard to, and it may not take more than 1 minor stumble for the team to pull the plug once again.  While Devenski has benefited from a lot of luck (95.2% strand rate, .242 BABIP), he’s proven to be one of the most dominant relievers in the game carrying all three skills that we look for:

• Strikeouts – 11.25 K/9
  • Control – 2.25 BB/9
  • Groundballs – 46.9%

There’s far too much upside and potential opportunity here to ignore.

3) Dan Winkler – Atlanta Braves (NR)
Current Closer – Arodys Vizcaino

It had been A.J. Minter who was being viewed as the next up (and part of a committee), but the southpaw has hit a bit of a rough patch and hasn’t been seeing ninth inning time.  Instead could a new name be emerging as a potential replacement for Vizcaino (who Atlanta seems to want to move out of the role)?  Enter Winkler, who has been downright nasty.

Over 17.2 innings he’s put up a 1.02 ERA and 0.68 WHIP, courtesy of strong underlying metrics:

• Strikeouts – 12.74 K/9
  • Control – 2.55 BB/9
  • Groundballs – 35.3%

Obviously there is a little bit of risk in the home run department, though you need to make contact (and hard contact) in order to hit it out.  Considering a 14.5% SwStr% and 11.8% Hard%, those things don’t happen very often.

(Minter was used for the save last night, though he struggled further strengthening the potential of Winkler rising into the next up role)

4) Kyle Barraclough – Miami Marlins (1)
Current Closer – Brad Ziegler

For a while there was a debate whether Barraclough or Drew Steckenrider deserved to be considered “next up” for the Marlins.  Steckenrider’s recent struggles have cleared that up, now it’s just a matter of when the Marlins opt to move away from Ziegler and give Barraclough an extended look in the ninth inning.

The question for Barraclough has always been his control, and his current 6.11 BB/9 doesn’t ease any concerns.  A 12.23 K/9 helps to offset that, though he has seen the strikeout number fall off a cliff over the first few weeks of May (2 K in 5.0 IP).  Couple that with a lack of groundball stuff (38.9%), bringing with it the risk of home runs, and while he continues to get the job done right now disaster could be in his future.

For now we’ll have to keep him ranked as one of the Top 5 next up options, but know the risk involved and you may want to cut bait before it’s too late.

5) Greg Holland – St. Louis Cardinals (NR)
Current Closer – Bud Norris

Obviously it’s hard to envision a change coming at this particular moment, given the respective numbers of the two:

• Bud Norris – 19.1 IP, 2.33 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, 12.57 K/9, 1.40 BB/9
  • Greg Holland – 11.1 IP, 4.76 ERA, 1.85 WHIP, 6.35 K/9, 8.74 BB/9

That said Norris is highly unlikely to maintain these numbers, considering his likely regression in his control (career 3.95 BB/9 as a reliever), elevated line drive rate (34.1%) and potential to be burned by the long ball (31.8% groundball rate).  For his part Holland has a 0.00 ERA over 4.0 May innings, and if he can fully re-discover his control (he has 3 BB still) it may only be a matter of time.  He’s worked his way into the 8th inning and should be considered the next up when a change is needed (and it likely will be before long).

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

A 1.59 whip is extremely lousy.  Or am I missing something here with your post? You don't have to dig much deeper from the whip to see he isn't doing great but I admit I haven't tracked him personally.  The k rate is quite pedestrian in this day and age as well.   I would expect both those numbers to improve as the season goes on. Otherwise he won't last in saves nor holds situations.

Disagree with your last sentence. Unless he gets dealt I can't see him losing the job, the Tigers bullpen as a whole has been atrocious and they seem comfortable leaving him in there. Maybe if Jimenez cleans his act up but Greene probably has one of the more secure closer jobs in the AL. Not that he'll give you any halfway decent ratios or Ks lol.

10 minutes ago, PremiumPlus said:

Disagree with your last sentence. Unless he gets dealt I can't see him losing the job, the Tigers bullpen as a whole has been atrocious and they seem comfortable leaving him in there. Maybe if Jimenez cleans his act up but Greene probably has one of the more secure closer jobs in the AL. Not that he'll give you any halfway decent ratios or Ks lol.

talking about Minter here...

So let’s recap this Angels situation:

Middleton with confirmed UCL damage; seeking a second opinion — he gone. 

Anderson gets the save, but it was rather ugly. His advanced metrics point to some positive regression, and he got a two-inning shot at a save earlier this week that Jim Johnson ultimately blew. 

Parker was the favorite entering the season, and got the win earlier this week after cleaning up Johnson’s mess. He’s probably got the best numbers of the group, FWIW. 

Johnson is a closer cockroach that has the “experience” label, but it feels like he’ll eventually blow it even when given opportunities, which we’ve seen a few times just over the past couple of weeks. 

To me, this is between Anderson and Parker, and I guess at this point you have to lean Anderson, right?

47 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

has Dan Winkler become the next in Atlanta?

http://rotoprofessor.com/baseball/?p=36044

Thanks, Special.  Prioritizing among the next up guys is a difficult proposition.  I've been holding Holland and debating whether to dump him for one of these upcoming guys or for a spec bid into one of  the open or potentially opening jobs (Philly, LAA, etc.).  It is not an easy calculus to try to weigh the skills, opportunity and salary/mind-of-the-manager/politics that play into these decisions. 

Edited by AHF
3 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Will the guy in my league that used 15% FAAB on Parker be frowning or smiling in June, time will tell I guess

he reads this thread religiously!

Don't think we needed to know that.

• Haha 2
38 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

So let’s recap this Angels situation:

Middleton with confirmed UCL damage; seeking a second opinion — he gone. 

Anderson gets the save, but it was rather ugly. His advanced metrics point to some positive regression, and he got a two-inning shot at a save earlier this week that Jim Johnson ultimately blew. 

Parker was the favorite entering the season, and got the win earlier this week after cleaning up Johnson’s mess. He’s probably got the best numbers of the group, FWIW. 

Johnson is a closer cockroach that has the “experience” label, but it feels like he’ll eventually blow it even when given opportunities, which we’ve seen a few times just over the past couple of weeks. 

To me, this is between Anderson and Parker, and I guess at this point you have to lean Anderson, right?

Nice recap,  but I failed to see where exactly Anderson clinched the closer gig 

Hard to say anyone clinches anything in LA without a significant sample size of games as long as Scoscia is managing.

Edited by AHF
22 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Nice recap,  but I failed to see where exactly Anderson clinched the closer gig 

Well he went to him when Parker and Bedrosian were presumably available.  Of course it is a day-to-day thing, but Scioscia started giving Anderson leverage opps right away and a save chance the other night when he could have gone to Johnson so it certainly seems like he wants Anderson to seize the role.  

Any news on Melancon, i know he threw one bullpen session and its been crickets since then he can come off the DL May 25th, i really don't see that happening, just wondering if anyone has heard anything?

7 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Any news on Melancon, i know he threw one bullpen session and its been crickets since then he can come off the DL May 25th, i really don't see that happening, just wondering if anyone has heard anything?

Last I read, he had stuff inside his arm turning green like a ninja turtle.

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Last I read, he had stuff inside his arm turning green like a ninja turtle.

24 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I heard they had to amputate.   Amazingly the reports are he's been more effective since!

/s

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Greene was low key terrible in a non save situation tonight. 2 hits, a walk, and 1 er. I'd chalk this up to a typical noon save situation but he's been lousy all year. 

8 saves for the year though. I got him in round 26 of my draft. His role is safe, and in a league where closers aren't safe, I'll take that over a committee situation.