NBC Sports Edge Forums

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Since nobody answered your question 

the dude was a starter in the minors since 2011. This year the Phillies made a switch to bullpen, that is why ESPN has the SP tag. After 10 RP appearances he will be SP RP 

AJ Minter numbers —— 17 Innings 15 Ks 2.65 era 1.59 whip 2 SVs 6 HDs 

That is lousy? 

What were you expecting? 

Come on man if you are serious about playing fantasy baseball you gotta look deeper than ERA. 

Yes I understand fantasy baseball only counts a few traditional categories, but to truly evaluate a player and see if he's worthy of rostering going forward, you gotta look deeper. His underlying peripherals suggest he's been very lucky to have an ERA below 3. For example, the liner from Bryant yesterday could easily have been a game winning hit. Minter got lucky he lined it right at the defense. And even the first out was a hard grounder that the 3b made a good lunging play on. Luck. That's it.

I am thinking about punting. If Winkler wasn't already held in my league, I would make the switch now.

Edited by papasmurf
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Any news on Melancon, i know he threw one bullpen session and its been crickets since then he can come off the DL May 25th, i really don't see that happening, just wondering if anyone has heard anything?

Melancon is off the DL?

5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Melancon is off the DL?

No.  That's a very poorly worded sentence, but I believe he was saying he's eligible to come off the DL 5/25.

17 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Come on man if you are serious about playing fantasy baseball you gotta look deeper than ERA. 

Yes I understand fantasy baseball only counts a few traditional categories, but to truly evaluate a player and see if he's worthy of rostering going forward, you gotta look deeper. His underlying peripherals suggest he's been very lucky to have an ERA below 3. For example, the liner from Bryant yesterday could easily have been a game winning hit. Minter got lucky he lined it right at the defense. Luck. That's it.

Am I serious about Fantasy baseball? 

.Fantasy baseball is about numbers ... not metrics. 

All i I know yea he is walking a few players. 12 in 17 IP ... but you must remember AJ is second in line to get the saves behind Aroldys. 

AJ is owned in all deep leagues especially hold leagues.  He is owned in a regular 5x5 rotisserie 12 team...Just look at the hold leaders there is some guys on the top of the list that have inflated numbers. 

I don’t think he is lousy, you do. Let’s drop it. 

Edited by shakestreet
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, Akecheta said:

8 saves for the year though. I got him in round 26 of my draft. His role is safe, and in a league where closers aren't safe, I'll take that over a committee situation. 

Well yes, in blood for saves leagues there's no choice but to keep any closer or potential closer. As awful as Greene has been in Detroit he's still getting some saves. In shallow or holds leagues I'm flat out dropping him. In standard leagues I'd try trading him away. He seems destined for another team at the trade deadline and I can't imagine he'll close wherever he goes. Heck, if he stays this bad he might end up losing the gig in Detroit. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, PremiumPlus said:

I have to be the dumbest person on this website, holy moly. Sorry!

In your defense, it's a natural assumption to make that people are talking about Shane Greene when they are referencing a disgustingly high WHIP.  

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

I'm not so sure about Winkler and Minter.

I'm just gonna hold Minter, and hope his control gets better. There's nothing wrong with him besides that.

There's the whole issue of health, Minter has an extensive injury history IIRC.

Well info for really deep leagues only where you have to own the second or third guy to the closer throne.  Granted he was still low in that regards but was expected to be a major set-up guy and the second back-up to closer eventually.  Typically stupid ball player injury too.  You get a major injury by throwing your glove instead of the baseball.

Tue, May 15       Red Sox placed RHP Carson Smith on the 10-day disabled list with a right shoulder subluxation.

Advice: Carson hurt his shoulder by throwing his glove in frustration on Monday. It could be a major injury. Bobby Poyner has been called up to take his place in the bullpen.       (Rotoworld.com)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well info for really deep leagues only where you have to own the second or third guy to the closer throne.  Granted he was still low in that regards but was expected to be a major set-up guy and the second back-up to closer eventually.  Typically stupid ball player injury too.  You get a major injury by throwing your glove instead of the baseball.

The dude has been pitching good so I added him to my 20 team league yesterday morning. I wasted one move 

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Am I serious about Fantasy baseball? 

.Fantasy baseball is about numbers ... not metrics. 

All i I know yea he is walking a few players. 12 in 17 IP ... but you must remember AJ is second in line to get the saves behind Aroldys. 

AJ is owned in all deep leagues especially hold leagues.  He is owned in a regular 5x5 rotisserie 12 team...Just look at the hold leaders there is some guys on the top of the list that have inflated numbers. 

I don’t think he is lousy, you do. Let’s drop it. 

I don't think you have actually read what I wrote about him. What I said is that he has been lousy, which is true.

I do agree there's no point in arguing.

1 minute ago, Hangry Bird said:

Vizcaino ties it in the ninth double/double here's hoping Morrow gets the save now, one more run Cubs c'mon

At least the solace for Vizcaino owners is Minter has been worse this year in the ratio and walk department. He won't be taking that job anytime soon with a putrid 12 walks in 17 innings.

Just now, JDL88 said:

At least the solace for Vizcaino owners is Minter has been worse this year in the ratio and walk department. He won't be taking that job anytime soon with a putrid 12 walks in 17 innings.

Wink, wink

• Like 6

I guess it’s irrelevant now with Colome pitching better, but just wanted to say that Sergio Romo’s purpose in life is to destroy Alvarado’s ERA. And Kevin Cash keeps falling for the trick.

Edited by 9703