NBC Sports Edge Forums

29 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

When I say shaky I go back to the last few years in which he has had major issues every year, highlighted by the playoff disaster last year.  Overall he's been alright this year but not sure the Astros has a lot of confidence in him any longer.

I'm seeing a lot of confidence going his way right now.  He's had literally one bad game and has otherwise been almost perfect.  11 Ks to 0 BBs?  I'll wager that barring injury he gets 90% of the save opps from here out and converts like a boss.  He's got top 5 RP stuff and is finding his groove. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Melancon will pitch a live batting practice session Thursday with the hopes of a minor league rehab assignment beginning next week.

1 minute ago, En Votto Veritas said:

I'm seeing a lot of confidence going his way right now.  He's had literally one bad game and has otherwise been almost perfect.  11 Ks to 0 BBs?  I'll wager that barring injury he gets 90% of the save opps from here out and converts like a boss.  He's got top 5 RP stuff and is finding his groove. 

He does have top stuff but I think there is something going on "upstairs" that gets to him.  Last year's playoff disaster was an all time low for a closer...

14 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’m all in on Winkler after last night though admittedly don’t know much about him aside from his impressive numbers. Does he have the stuff to run away with the job if he gets the opportunity?

I like Carles stuff more, but whatever winkler is doing is working.  He went from single a to mlb last season 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, knuckleheads said:

He does have top stuff but I think there is something going on "upstairs" that gets to him.  Last year's playoff disaster was an all time low for a closer...

Indeed and it was last year.  This year he is pitching lights out (except for one game).  We can speculate all we want about his mental condition but it's just that: speculation.  The facts of the matter are that Giles is pitching like a beast and there's no reason to think he won't continue.  FYI in 5 years he averages the following line:

2.52 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 12.1 K/9, 2.9 BB/9

8 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I like Carles stuff more, but whatever winkler is doing is working.  He went from single a to mlb last season 

Winkler's a former SP converted to the pen.  I'm nearly positive he was a Rule-V draft pick in the 2016 Rule-V that missed almost the entire year due to injury.  I think his jump from A to MLB last year was Atlanta maximizing his rehab assignment so they didn't have to use the roster spot (per the Rule-V rules).

Winkler's nasty though, and has always had big strikeout numbers.  He's just never stayed healthy, which was part of the reason for the bullpen conversion.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Indeed and it was last year.  This year he is pitching lights out (except for one game).  We can speculate all we want about his mental condition but it's just that: speculation.  The facts of the matter are that Giles is pitching like a beast and there's no reason to think he won't continue.  FYI in 5 years he averages the following line:

2.52 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 12.1 K/9, 2.9 BB/9

What happened last year can't be totally ignored or forgotten by the Astros. He was benched for 3 games when the team needed him most.   And the fact is every year that he has been in Houston he has had a very rough patch in which the team had to get through.  The fact that his numbers are so solid certainly attest to his great stuff and dominance when on but to think he hasn't had serious issues in his role is not correct.

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 2
Just now, knuckleheads said:

What happened last year can't be totally ignored or forgotten by the Astros. He was benched for 3 games when the team needed him most.   And the fact is every year that he has been in Houston he has had a very rough patch in whixh the team had to get through.  The fact that his numbers are so solid certainly attest to the his great stuff and dominance when on but to think he hasn't had serious issues in his role is not correct.

I never denied that Giles had issues.  But I'm not playing fantasy baseball for what happened, I'm playing for what will happen.  And right now he's in the closer role, has converted successfully throughout the season, and is pitching like a boss.  You're saying he could implode.  He could.  I'm saying that all signs point to him continuing to pitch very well and I'm rostering him confidently.  If you're not confident that's fine, but speculating about his mental state is rather fruitless isn't it?

1 minute ago, En Votto Veritas said:

I never denied that Giles had issues.  But I'm not playing fantasy baseball for what happened, I'm playing for what will happen.  And right now he's in the closer role, has converted successfully throughout the season, and is pitching like a boss.  You're saying he could implode.  He could.  I'm saying that all signs point to him continuing to pitch very well and I'm rostering him confidently.  If you're not confident that's fine, but speculating about his mental state is rather fruitless isn't it?

No not at all. This discussion started on whether or not the Astros would be interested in dealing for Britton so it's quite relevant to wonder what both he and the Astros think.  And when you see a guy who has previously lost the closers job in Houston, implode in the playoffs, and literally punch himself in the face while walking off the field you do speculate on what is going on and what concerns management may have. Isn't the mental part of the game something to speculate on?

Anyways I have a feeling this is going nowhere so have your last say as that was mine...

• Like 2
  • Root Admin
1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

I don't fully believe it, but my Angels fan friend was telling me a couple days ago he still thinks JJ is next man up even after the recent awful outing. No guarantee he's right but he usually has a waaay better handle on that situation than I do. 

He pitched in the "closer spot" at home so there is some logic to it, but I'm skeptical as well.... Kinsler booted a ball from the leadoff hitter who came around and scored so it wasn't a great outing but can't really fault him either.  2 errors in the frame actually.

Regarding the Angels, I'm failing to see how Anderson being trusted to get the last save against their biggest rival in the division race, and converting, doesn't make him the favorite for saves moving forward.  Scioscia went back to him after he struggled a bit in an attempted 2-inning save earlier in the week.  May not have been pretty, but Anderson converted.  The fact he got the opportunity again seems to tell me he's the likeliest guy for the next one, no?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

Winkler's a former SP converted to the pen.  I'm nearly positive he was a Rule-V draft pick in the 2016 Rule-V that missed almost the entire year due to injury.  I think his jump from A to MLB last year was Atlanta maximizing his rehab assignment so they didn't have to use the roster spot (per the Rule-V rules).

Winkler's nasty though, and has always had big strikeout numbers.  He's just never stayed healthy, which was part of the reason for the bullpen conversion.

and he did well last year, although in just 16 games. I think he is legit. but we all know how this reliever thing goes haha