NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yeah, I think I'll have to bench and forget until he's the closer or accept that it's not going to happen and drop him. Every time he puts together 5-6 clean innings he has a meltdown.  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

Just now, Zeezee said:

Yeah, I think I'll have to bench and forget until he's the closer or accept that it's not going to happen and drop him. Every time he puts together 5-6 clean innings he has a meltdown.  

He’s not getting the job over Norris.

Earne

1 minute ago, thefamily79 said:

That was disappointing.

Question:  With 2 outs, Norris wild pitched in a Holland run.  Then got the 3rd out.  Is the run earned or unearned? 

Earned if there were no previous errors otherwise. If it was a passed ball, it'd be unearned.

Have to think Holland figures it out at some point. Don't get how he could be so dominant last year and then just suck it up now.

Kinda reminds me of Blake Parker, who was awful to start the year. He's recently turned it around though. Difference is Holland has the longer track record.

21 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Have to think Holland figures it out at some point. Don't get how he could be so dominant last year and then just suck it up now.

It happens ALL the time to closers not names Mariano or Kimbrel etc.  Any number of these guys can indeed be so dominant one year and suck the next.  That is why most of them were in the bullpen in the first place.  They were bad (not starter material) before they were good and now they are bad again.

That's why this thread exists.  We are just vultures here waiting for the next once "good" closer to suck again.

• Like 2

Holland just has not gotten it together and should be through his "spring training" period by now.  He could still turn it around at some point but have to drop him below a lot of the current potential closer candidates.  I'm not regretting letting him go for Winkler this morning, but even in deeper formats it is getting harder and harder to justify keeping him on a roster rather than chasing the next 'potential' guy to bubble up and hoping you hit.  

3 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Kela in to give up meaningless runs for no reason, Bannister doesn't have a clue

He was already warming and hadn't pitched since the 11th.

So...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

He was already warming and hadn't pitched since the 11th.

So...

Exactly.  Obviously I'm not thrilled he gave up the HR, but I knew he was getting used since he was warming up for the save opportunity before Seattle gave them runs.

He was wild again, but that's not too surprising I suppose.

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Kinda reminds me of Blake Parker, who was awful to start the year. He's recently turned it around though. Difference is Holland has the longer track record.

The thing is, even if he "figures it out" at some point and is able to pitch some clutch, shutdown innings, he's going to have to depend on Norris to now lose the job.

I guess the Cardinals could be really stupid and keep giving him chances to blow games until (if?) he figures it out. But they're in a tight division/WC race, like they have been for the past two seasons, and they can't really afford to lose games because Holland needs to be babied. Maybe Norris falls apart soon too, that's certainly possible. But that's really the only road to Holland getting the job (assuming of course that he himself figures out how to pitch).