NBC Sports Edge Forums

I think this outing shows that Ramos is the true closer. He was the one warming ready to come into the 9th when it was a save opp in the Top of the 9th. Also the fact that Kapler left him in to finish it off proves to him that he trust Ramos. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

So . . . they let him finish the inning after he  made a big mess. But he couldn't finish an inning after striking out the first two batters in the previous game. Makes perfect sense.

6 minutes ago, kaesr said:

So . . . they let him finish the inning after he  made a big mess. But he couldn't finish an inning after striking out the first two batters in the previous game. Makes perfect sense.

These guys are not robots.  It's all about building confidence and this makes perfect sense to me.  He brought a struggling Neris into an easy situation yesterday and let a not struggling Ramos get himself out of a tougher situation today. 

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

Jim Johnson in the top of the 7th for the Angels. 

Edit: and gives up a home run to Denard Span ? 

Edited by lbjames6
1 hour ago, radioflyer9 said:

Looking like J. Anderson is the closer, especially with Parker pitching last night with them losing in the 9th

Tough bullpen to speculate on. I might just go for a guy like Winkler or Sir Anthony. 

30 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Some think he’s the guy to own just a matter of time. 

I wonder, as we saw today, if Sir Anthony might be carving out a role as a fireman in which he will be deemed as more valuable?   I think Ramos is going to be given a fair shot at the 9th and could be pretty good in the role.  If that's the case the Phillies are going to be for real this year and have one heck of a bullpen.   Heck Neris has shown he can be dominate in relief (outside the closer's role) as well. 

I get the feeling Kapler knows what he is doing...

Edited by knuckleheads
8 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

I wonder, as we saw today, if Sir Anthony might be carving out a role as a fireman in which he will be deemed as more valuable?   I think Ramos is going to be given a fair shot at the 9th and could be pretty good in the role.  If that's the case the Phillies are going to be for real this year and have one heck of a bullpen.   Heck Neris has shown he can be dominate in relief (outside the closer's role) as well. 

I get the feeling Kapler knows what he is doing...

For years people have been screaming about managers should manage their bullpen based on situation and not giving them defined roles.  There's finally a manager who is openingly doing this and he gets criticized for it.  Pretty funny.

• Like 6

I don't think Melancon is the worst stash/acquisition in the world right now.  You can get him for next to nothing.  He threw a session yesterday and may be heading to a rehab assignment soon.  If he looks fine, will he really not get his closer job back?   If it does, you picked up a cheap closer.  If it doesn't you aren't out much, drop him, and life goes on.  If we're willing to hang onto Holland forever, we should be willing to give Melancon a shot.  

Don’t see Melancon getting his closer role back. Hunter Strickland has been outstanding for the Giants and there’s no reason to remove him. Melancon hasn’t been healthy in over 2 years so I think the Giants will take it easy with him and use him earlier in games. 

• Like 1

There's about 62 million reasons for him to close.  Nobody here, including me, knows for certain what they'll do.  I think we find out fairly quickly, so it's not like we're stashing a set up man hoping Kelvin Herrera or Alex Colome are dealt one day.  

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

There's about 62 million reasons for him to close.  Nobody here, including me, knows for certain what they'll do.  I think we find out fairly quickly, so it's not like we're stashing a set up man hoping Kelvin Herrera or Alex Colome are dealt one day.  

If colome isnt dealt our fan base will revolt..........or do the best we can and just gather in a small crowd at the front door with whoever is actually paying attention to the team

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Haha 6
56 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

For years people have been screaming about managers should manage their bullpen based on situation and not giving them defined roles.  There's finally a manager who is openingly doing this and he gets criticized for it.  Pretty funny.

Agreed...

4 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

If colome isnt dealt our fan base will revolt..........or do the best we can and just gather in a small crowd at the front door with whoever is actually paying attention to the team

This has got to be one of the saddest yet funniest posts I've ever read here.  Many thumbs up for it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is Blake Parker worth an add in a deep 12 team roto redraft?  I know Anderson is the name a lot people seem to be higher on, but Parker did close for that nut job manager at the end of last year, and he did a decent job.  He seems to be back on track after a shaky start to the season too.  It just sucks that Sciosciopath is so deranged when it comes to naming a closer.  The closer market kinda blows this year with so many bad teams, and unsettled committees.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dicka24 said:

Is Blake Parker worth an add in a deep 12 team roto redraft?  I know Anderson is the name a lot people seem to be higher on, but Parker did close for that nut job manager at the end of last year, and he did a decent job.  He seems to be back on track after a shaky start to the season too.  It just sucks that Sciosciopath is so deranged when it comes to naming a closer.  The closer market kinda blows this year with so many bad teams, and unsettled committees.

I personally would be rostering Parker if I had to invest in LAA.

• Like 1