NBC Sports Edge Forums

36 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

When Hader goes in for the eighth he usually finishes the ninth too, because, you know, he’s unhittable. When’s the last time he only pitched one inning? Knebel will get opportunities but he’s probably not going to end up with a ton of saves. 

Just last week and three appearances ago actually :lol:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

Romo just created the Anti-Closer.

He wasn't the starting pitcher - the Opener - if they do this again, and it continues to work..... just ponder.  The stud pitchers and vets could still start, but younger pitchers, or pitchers with control issues could start the game in the back half of the lineup....or at the cleanup hitter - but still :p.  It's a strategy that has obviously sparked my curiosity 

Just now, jahweedum said:

Romo just created the Anti-Closer.

He wasn't the starting pitcher - the Opener - if they do this again, and it continues to work..... just ponder.  The stud pitchers and vets could still start, but younger pitchers, or pitchers with control issues could start the game in the back half of the lineup....or at the cleanup hitter - but still :p.  It's a strategy that has obviously sparked my curiosity 

Kind of like in football how so many teams are going to multiple RB’s...   interesting lol 

I had Knebel last year and he was great, drafted this year expecting the same. Getting hard to hold onto him however, luckily being a couple good cloesers in my small league Vazquez/Treinen available. Just sucks the situation Knebel is in, between Hader pitching multi innings, or MIL scoring and or pitching good enough that it limits the save chances. I know RP's are reallly valuable in some leagues, so guess I'm not surprised his own% hasn't plummeted. Not sure if I'm a fool for continuing to hold at this point. 

Anyone else is small leagues move on to someone else ? 

Wow, I was frustrated when I posted about Knebel not getting the save tonight (obviously), but going as far as considering dropping him?  Hell no, not even in a small league.  Hader may mess with him from time to time like he did tonight, but when Hader pitches as much as he did tonight, then he usually doesn't pitch for 2 or 3 games afterwards.  Plus, the way Knebel has pitched recently, this whole thing could somewhat normalize in time.

• Like 1

Maybe things even out at some point sooner than later for Knebel. I just looked up and seen MIL is 5th in MLB with 13 team saves as of today, so that's encouraging.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
1 hour ago, tonywow said:

I had Knebel last year and he was great, drafted this year expecting the same. Getting hard to hold onto him however, luckily being a couple good cloesers in my small league Vazquez/Treinen available. Just sucks the situation Knebel is in, between Hader pitching multi innings, or MIL scoring and or pitching good enough that it limits the save chances. I know RP's are reallly valuable in some leagues, so guess I'm not surprised his own% hasn't plummeted. Not sure if I'm a fool for continuing to hold at this point. 

Anyone else is small leagues move on to someone else ? 

He's been back for less than 2 weeks.  You'd be crazy to drop if you value a closer.  His saves may go down but he's till going to get them and give you good ratios.  Better than the alternatives on the Angels and Phillies etc

• Like 1
9 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Wow, I was frustrated when I posted about Knebel not getting the save tonight (obviously), but going as far as considering dropping him?  Hell no, not even in a small league.  Hader may mess with him from time to time like he did tonight, but when Hader pitches as much as he did tonight, then he usually doesn't pitch for 2 or 3 games afterwards.  Plus, the way Knebel has pitched recently, this whole thing could somewhat normalize in time.

Well, the question for a lot of leagues is only whether he has lost the job of full time closer to Hader or to CBC, in which case he is droppable in a great many leagues. In others, maybe not. But at the very least, it's a relevant question at this point for many.

17 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Well, the question for a lot of leagues is only whether he has lost the job of full time closer to Hader or to CBC, in which case he is droppable in a great many leagues. In others, maybe not. But at the very least, it's a relevant question at this point for many.

I understand that.  I think just a person or two are overreacting solely based on the fact that Knebel hasn't gotten a save since coming back from the DL.  Nobody is more frustrated about it than me given my venting in here last night since I just traded for him right before he was activated, but to even consider dropping him is a little premature.

Hader is Counsell's toy.  I don't see him using him as a closer long term, because frankly that's the exact reason why he went through the ridiculous committee when Knebel first went on the DL when he had the obvious choice in Hader (or Jeffress).  They eased Knebel back, and he had a couple of bumps, but now he's pitching like 2017 Knebel again.  While last night was obviously very frustrating to see Knebel not get the save for no apparent reason, the only thing I can understand right now is wondering what is going to happen exactly from here on out with the backend of their bullpen.

Based on everything that happened while Knebel was out, I would be extremely surprised if Knebel doesn't get the majority of the saves.  It took Counsell forever to even give Hader any save opps, and even then, Jeffress got some too.  It's pretty clear that Hader isn't the closer, and as frustrating as it was last night, I suspect what he did with Hader was just let him finish the game since they couldn't touch him really at all last night.  While Knebel has pitched back to back games once so far since returning, maybe he also figured he wouldn't have to do that since Hader was rolling against them.  Sure, maybe Knebel looses a handful of saves because of that, but to come on here and talk about considering dropping Knebel because he's not the closer anymore is just a bit premature and almost silly.  I can understand wondering, and I know the closer role is about as stable as somebody after Mexican food, but there's no evidence of the team rendering Knebel droppable.

• Like 1

This Angels situation is a mess. Really annoyed by it because that’s a good club and someone’s going to get a bunch of saves. 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, JFS179 said:

This Angels situation is a mess. Really annoyed by it because that’s a good club and someone’s going to get a bunch of saves. 

Haha I know. Each time I think I have a read on it, the guy I suspect pitches in the 6th inning while the team is losing. Really bizarre. 

I don’t think it will continue, and someone will settle in. My bet would be Parker because even if they get opportunities, I’m not certain Johnson or Anderson will be consistent enough to hold the job. 

29 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Their bullpen is so bad by the time the ball would even get to someone in the 9th one of those losers will blow it.  They need significant help quickly.  

6 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Maybe that someone will be named Colome or someone else they trade for because every time I visit this thread over half the posts are about the Angels.  This seems as bad as the endless Nats merry-go-round in the recent past where that whole drama hijacked the closer thread for most of the season it seemed.

5 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Their bullpen is so bad by the time the ball would even get to someone in the 9th one of those losers will blow it.  They need significant help quickly.  

Zach Britton, bank it!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Hangry Bird said:

Jace Fry locks it down for the Sox great movement on his pitches faced 2 lefties

He looks unhittable this year (another win for Cooper??). 12K, 0 R, 0 H, 2 BB in 8.1 so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1