NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

Why is there so much speculation that Justin Anderson is going to usurp the Angels' closer gig with Middleton down? Dude has 5 innings pitched at the MLB level. And his MiLB numbers are not pretty. Someone mentioned he has MiLB closer experience. He has two career saves. Hard to imagine this guy being thrust into a closing role on a contending team, Scioscipath or no Scioscipath.

Trust the stuff. He started out as a SP in the minors and then was moved to the pen. IDK what happened between 2017 and this year but most reports said he threw 93-96 but so far he's sitting 97-99 MPH with a high 80's sharp slider. Sosh has been aggressive with him the moment they called him up, having him pitch in high leverage situations in the 8th inning etc

Cam Bedrosian and especially Blake Parker have been complete duds all year long. Johnson could be the next guy in line considering his experience, but the upside play would be Anderson

• Thanks 1
Just now, Blood Brother said:

Trust the stuff. He started out as a SP in the minors and then was moved to the pen. IDK what happened between 2017 and this year but most reports said he threw 93-96 but so far he's sitting 97-99 MPH with a high 80's sharp slider. Sosh has been aggressive with him the moment they called him up, having him pitch in high leverage situations in the 8th inning etc

Cam Bedrosian and especially Blake Parker have been complete duds all year long. Johnson could be the next guy in line considering his experience, but the upside play would be Anderson

He's shown his stuff and missed a lot of bats, but no way they throw him out there as the full time closer yet. He needs more experience. Down the road if Middleton were to implode and Anderson keeps pitching like he is now, sure, maybe you give him some run at it. But I can't see them doing that now other than a spot save chance every now and then.

56 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

He's shown his stuff and missed a lot of bats, but no way they throw him out there as the full time closer yet. He needs more experience. Down the road if Middleton were to implode and Anderson keeps pitching like he is now, sure, maybe you give him some run at it. But I can't see them doing that now other than a spot save chance every now and then.

I think "no way" is not right.  Anything is possible when you can throw heat, are pitching well and have aready been used in high leveraged positions, and others around you fail. He's also not some young 20 year old that may need a little more protection.  I think you definitely keep an eye on the situation and pounce (if not yet) as soon as he touches the ball in the 9th. Of course in some leagues it pays to act earlier.

7 hours ago, ToO_BaD said:

Speaking of Melancon, watching the Giants game and Amy G just mentioned that he is upping his rehab and going to throw a light bullpen session Saturday from a mound.

FWIW Melancon is on the 60 day DL and isn't eligible to come back until May 25th, so he will have a long while yet to ramp up his throwing and see where he's at.  If he's healthy, and that's a very huge if, I can't see him not getting the job back - he's the highest paid reliever in baseball.  But I do think he has a long way to go to prove he's going to be effective.

7 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

What was the Jim Johnson non sense then lol?

Might not be non sense anymore after that Bedrosian blow up.  Wonder how short of a leash Bedrosian will have from Scoscia right now?  It seems like he's never fully trusted.  I know there's lots of chatter about Anderson, but to me Johnson seems like he would be the next guy up, and might be a good stash at this point.

7 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Is brach back as the closer?

Also FWIW I don't think Brach was ever "in" or "out" as closer, it was said right from ST that it was going to be a committee between Brach and O'Day, and Showalter has stayed true to that.  It's harder to see because the O's have been really bad and not generating many saves, but he's used both depending on what he perceives to be a better matchup.  That being said though, games like last night no doubt have to shorten Brach's leash and extend O'Day's.  You can only use a committee as long as both parts are getting the batters out that they are supposed to, so clarifying it as a committee might be a moot point after last night.  But we'll have to wait and see.

10 hours ago, smeeze said:

Why would the Rangers just dismiss Kela’s performance because it wasn’t a save opp? Am I missing something? He still blew a lead in epic fashion...

I agree I don't think it matters much whether it was a 3-run or 4-run lead, Bannister obviously went to Kela in the 9th because he was treating it as a high leverage situation where he wanted his best reliever to finish out the game.  However I don't think Kela has such a short leash that this blow up is going to put his job in jeopardy.  Bannister has shown quite a lot of patience in the past with some pretty rough situations (it seemed like Dyson was getting blown up daily for a long time before he was removed last year, and same with Tolleson the year before), and there's really not much else going on in that bullpen to push for a change.

As mentioned Leclerc has pitched well, but the rest of the bullpen has been bad.  Jepsen has been used in a lot of high leverage situations and looked bad as expected.  Claudio is getting beat up.  Matt Bush is getting beat up.  Diekman can't throw strikes.  Lincecum is nowhere in sight.  There aren't a lot of options outside of Leclerc, and he wasn't really part of the closer competition / discussion in ST like almost all the others were, so he would seem to have longer to go to prove his worth to Bannister.

The other thing to point out is that Kela is just getting unlucky to a degree.  His FIP is less than half what his ERA is, and his BABIP is .393.  All the other stats like K-rate, walk-rate, batted ball profile, etc. are all pretty much in line with what he's always done, so it's not like he's damaged goods.  A couple blow ups and some bad luck in a small sample size makes things look a lot worse than they probably are.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, street sharks said:

everyone is dying today

Kela, Giles, Soria, Brach, Herrera, Strickland all gave up runs

32 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Went to sleep early.  Did I miss anything?

yep me too ...  Starting pitchers did extremely well but the relief pitchers got rocked

39 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I agree I don't think it matters much whether it was a 3-run or 4-run lead, Bannister obviously went to Kela in the 9th because he was treating it as a high leverage situation where he wanted his best reliever to finish out the game.  However I don't think Kela has such a short leash that this blow up is going to put his job in jeopardy.  Bannister has shown quite a lot of patience in the past with some pretty rough situations (it seemed like Dyson was getting blown up daily for a long time before he was removed last year, and same with Tolleson the year before), and there's really not much else going on in that bullpen to push for a change.

As mentioned Leclerc has pitched well, but the rest of the bullpen has been bad.  Jepsen has been used in a lot of high leverage situations and looked bad as expected.  Claudio is getting beat up.  Matt Bush is getting beat up.  Diekman can't throw strikes.  Lincecum is nowhere in sight.  There aren't a lot of options outside of Leclerc, and he wasn't really part of the closer competition / discussion in ST like almost all the others were, so he would seem to have longer to go to prove his worth to Bannister.

The other thing to point out is that Kela is just getting unlucky to a degree.  His FIP is less than half what his ERA is, and his BABIP is .393.  All the other stats like K-rate, walk-rate, batted ball profile, etc. are all pretty much in line with what he's always done, so it's not like he's damaged goods.  A couple blow ups and some bad luck in a small sample size makes things look a lot worse than they probably are.

I think Kela still has some leash, but Leclerc was a guy I mentioned this spring as a dark horse, and I'm still intrigued by him.  He's always had swing and miss stuff, and in his very limited sample (though also in ST) he's cut his walk rate way, way down (like in half this year).

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Johnson was only used for one out. Middleton will keep the job until he blows up. How many save chances can there be until he comes back? Maybe a couple ? Maybe .

I have no idea how this all shakes out, and I'd probably want Johnson right now in blood-for-saves leagues, but Anderson is the upside play for the rest of the season.  Elbow inflammation may be absolutely nothing, or it may turn out to be something significant.  I remember distinctly last year when guys (myself included) ignored Bud Norris thinking it would be short term and there was no way he could succeed.  He ended up with 19 saves, which absolutely tilted competitive leagues.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Kela, Giles, Soria, Brach, Herrera, Strickland all gave up runs

yep me too ...  Starting pitchers did extremely well but the relief pitchers got rocked

Add Kimbrel to that list

is Leclerc next in Texas?

closermonkey says Chris Martin is next (5.14 ERA/1.43 WHIP, followed by Claudio (6.00 ERA/1.80 WHIP).

rosterresource has similar, also along with Diekman (4.35 ERA/1.74 WHIP)

Leclerc has been great. 8 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 9 K. (0.00 ERA/0.80 WHIP)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

is Leclerc next in Texas?

closermonkey says Chris Martin is next (5.14 ERA/1.43 WHIP, followed by Claudio (6.00 ERA/1.80 WHIP).

rosterresource has similar, also along with Diekman (4.35 ERA/1.74 WHIP)

Leclerc has been great. 8 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 9 K. (0.00 ERA/0.80 WHIP)

I would bet on Leclerc over the rest of the garbage in that pen.  I've said it since ST - Leclerc with control is a very dangerous dude. 

As previously mentioned though, Kela probably still has some leash.  Great K-rate, .393 BABIP, 61.6% LOB ... that's the good.  The bad is a 32.1% LD% and a 37.9% Hard Contact.  So while I think there's some bad luck in here, especially with the strand rate, that BABIP is partially earned by so many LDs and so much hard contact.  His GB% has also plummeted to just 21.4%, and while he's never been a super-GB guy, his numbers from 2015-2017 are 50.6%, 43.9%, and 30.5%.  

So, we've seen his GB-heavy tilt wane for 3 consecutive seasons prior to this one, and now it's all the way down at 21%, coupled with a high LD-rate and a lot of hard contact.  Some of this is luck, but some of it is earned by Kela.

I'd keep a close eye on Leclerc.

Does anyone think Nate Jones is anywhere close to being given a shot? He has been quite a bit better than Soria, but I guess they don't have much incentive to win at this point. Are they just trying to build up Soria's trade value by getting him as many saves as possible? 

I didn't see much commentary last night and I don't know what the general consensus is around here, just curious.

Just now, BobC said:

Does anyone think Nate Jones is anywhere close to being given a shot? He has been quite a bit better than Soria, but I guess they don't have much incentive to win at this point. Are they just trying to build up Soria's trade value by getting him as many saves as possible? 

I didn't see much commentary last night and I don't know what the general consensus is around here, just curious.

They said they would use both but I think it's clear that it's Soria's job for the money they gave him.  He had converted two straight before last night and Jones himself looked shaky.  Probably still Soria's job but definitely worth watching.

• Like 1

Usage would show that Jim Johnson get's the next shot IF they don't go back to Bedrosian.  It sounds like KEYNAN...Not Kenyan (check his twitter handle) will be back in the minimum time too.  Don't go nuts on Justin Anderson FAAB if you haven't already.