14.2 IP

2 W

7 SV

2 BS

15 K

3 BB

1.84 ERA

.82 WHIP

I don't see Melancon getting the job back immediately. A LOT has to go right for him to have the job by August.

I think @handyandy86 agrees with this, based on his previous posts. However, the Giants are going to try to do everything they can IMO to make Melancon the closer, just like the Cardinals are trying to do with Holland. It's not working out with Holland so far and there is a good chance it doesn't work out with Melancon either.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

It bears repeating that there is almost a zero chance Melancon comes back.  He has the same issue as Noah Lowery did. 

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I think @handyandy86 agrees with this, based on his previous posts. However, the Giants are going to try to do everything they can IMO to make Melancon the closer, just like the Cardinals are trying to do with Holland. It's not working out with Holland so far and there is a good chance it doesn't work out with Melancon either.

The Giants are doing everything they can not to waste whatever salary they're paying Melancon. And he's not exactly Craig Kimbrel, how he got that contract is beyond me.

Maybe, but Holland isn't dealing with "grey" dead muscles. Melancon hasn't even picked up a baseball lately. Remember Taillon last year? Having cancer and what not. He was mostly terrible when he came back, even a month or two later. TJ surgery is something a pitcher has to come back from and they usually don't do better until year 2. It's a different injury of course, but missing a significant amount of time is missing a significant amount of time.

Strickland has been pretty good thus far, and there was a time in the past that he was the future closer of the Giants. He's getting older, and FINALLY has the closer gig. He turns 30 this year.

Let's just say Melancon gets his stuff back within a month at AAA. They bring him up to the majors and he pitches well in a few appearances. It's STILL going to take a Strickland meltdown.

This is all speculation of course. With all these question marks surrounding Melancon, coupled with Strickland's success. It's hard to pencil in Melancon as closer anytime soon... if at all this year.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

The Giants are doing everything they can not to waste whatever salary they're paying Melancon. And he's not exactly Craig Kimbrel, how he got that contract is beyond me.

Maybe, but Holland isn't dealing with "grey" dead muscles. Melancon hasn't even picked up a baseball lately. Remember Taillon last year? Having cancer and what not. He was mostly terrible when he came back, even a month or two later. TJ surgery is something a pitcher has to come back from and they usually don't do better until year 2. It's a different injury of course, but missing a significant amount of time is missing a significant amount of time.

Strickland has been pretty good thus far, and there was a time in the past that he was the future closer of the Giants. He's getting older, and FINALLY has the closer gig. He turns 30 this year.

Let's just say Melancon gets his stuff back within a month at AAA. They bring him up to the majors and he pitches well in a few appearances. It's STILL going to take a Strickland meltdown.

This is all speculation of course. With all these question marks surrounding Melancon, coupled with Strickland's success. It's hard to pencil in Melancon as closer anytime soon... if at all this year.

Dude, I hope so. I dropped Melancon's a** and am a proud Strickland owner.

All I'm saying is I could see the Giants giving Melancon a shot, even though he may fail miserably.

So this Justin Anderson character in LAA.

Middleton blows a save and goes on the DL. And then basically says I'm good to go the very next day?

The rest of that bullpen has been junk.

This is what Yahoo had to say:

Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register suspects that Justin Anderson might be the Angels' fill-in closer.

Advice: Fletcher notes that Anderson has already been used to protect a two-run lead against the heart of the Astros lineup and a one-run lead against the heart of the Yankees' lineup since his callup from Triple-A Salt Lake on April 23. Cam Bedrosian still seems like the guy to add from an outside perspective, but Fletcher has a better feel for the Angels' decision-making than just about any other reporter. Keynan Middleton was placed on the 10-day disabled list Tuesday with right elbow inflammation.

Future Fireman or Future Closer? Is this guy's stuff any good?

Edited by dkrocka
typo
27 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

I hear you and your speculation.  I've watched the Giants for 25+ years and can affirm, again, that Melancon will be given every opportunity to regain the closer role.  The only thing that will stop him from being the closer is his health/performance (which is seriously in doubt).  If Melancon is healthy and dealing, Strickland could be throwing Joey Votto at batters and he'll still get placed into the setup role.  Yes, Joey Votto would make an amazing pitch and you all know it.

Edited by En Votto Veritas
53 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I don't agree with the bolded.  If anything, the Giants have shown this offseason that they're trying to win games - NOW.  They're not going to force a square peg in a round hole at the cost of the win column.  

We've seen this story before.  Everyone was convinced Dyson would give up the gig to Melancon last year in the second half, and Melancon never made it back.  That was when the division was basically out of hand and the guy holding the job was journeyman Sam Dyson.  Now they've got a younger guy who's paid his dues with this organization, and he's performing with aplomb.  I'll believe it when I see it with Melancon closing games.

He's a sunk cost.  If anything, the organization should be looking for ways to recover part of that contract with insurance money.  Find ways to keep him from pitching.

1 minute ago, JFS179 said:

I don't agree with the bolded.  If anything, the Giants have shown this offseason that they're trying to win games - NOW.  They're not going to force a square peg in a round hole at the cost of the win column.  

We've seen this story before.  Everyone was convinced Dyson would give up the gig to Melancon last year in the second half, and Melancon never made it back.  That was when the division was basically out of hand and the guy holding the job was journeyman Sam Dyson.  Now they've got a younger guy who's paid his dues with this organization, and he's performing with aplomb.  I'll believe it when I see it with Melancon closing games.

He's a sunk cost.  If anything, the organization should be looking for ways to recover part of that contract with insurance money.  Find ways to keep him from pitching.

I hope so. 

write up on Justin Anderson.

http://rotoprofessor.com/baseball/?p=35863

Waiver Wire Guidelines: Is The Angels’ Justin Anderson A Must Add For Those Desperate For Saves?

by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)

Just when it looked like the Angels had solved their 9th inning woes, Keynan Middleton has hit the DL with elbow issues and the team is right back in a state of flux.  We all know most of the names that are going to be thrown around as candidates to step in, and it’s the same underwhelming options that struggled ahead of Middleton’s emergence:

• Cam Bedrosian
  • Jim Johnson
  • Blake Parker

Many viewed Bedrosian as the favorite, but his blown save yesterday basically ends that speculation.  Instead of going back to the same mediocre options, could a sleeper emerge?  Enter Justin Anderson, a rookie who has thrived over his first five appearances (5.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 7 K) and has a chance to run with the role if given the opportunity.

Anderson saw time at Double & Triple-A prior to joining Los Angeles, tossing 8.2 IP while pitching to the tune of a 0.00 ERA and 0.43 WHIP.  We all know that surface numbers can be deceiving, but his 14.54 K/9 (courtesy of a 19.1% SwStr%), 2.08 BB/9 and 69.2% groundball rate scream of an elite relief arm.

Granted it was a small sample size, but in his 5.0 IP he’s shown somewhat similar skills:

• 60 K/9 (16.9% SwStr%)
  • 40 BB/9
  • 5% groundball rate

Anderson is a former starting pitcher so we can’t simply compare his minor league career numbers to what he’s done thus far.  He didn’t start relieving until 2017, when he posted a 4.36 BB/9 and struggled to generate swings and misses (9.1% SwStr%).  Is this a case of an unbelievable 13.2 IP or has a light switch gone off?

At this point it’s easy to conclude that something has changed, with a fastball that’s averaging 98.1 mph being paired with a slider he’s thrown 62.9% of the time.  It’s clearly a nasty combination, and the 25-year old has been baffling hitters at every level in ’18.

Middleton isn’t expected to be out long so Anderson may not get an opportunity to stake a full-time claim on the role, but if he’s pitching lights out is it the craziest idea?  Unlikely maybe, but when you are putting up the numbers Anderson currently is anything is possible.

Fantasy Waiver Wire Guidelines:

• 10 Team League – Monitor closely
  • 12 Team League – Worth speculative add if need saves
  • 14+ Team League – Must Add
  • AL-Only League – Must Add
  • Keeper/Dynasty – Must Add

Edited by SpecialFNK
up
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I agree with this. I actually think that the organization is not too happy with Melancon at all. If he is healthy he will definitely be given a significant role in the bullpen at the outset due to his past success and the money he is being paid, but I doubt they would pull the plug on Strickland if he is still dealing at that point.

8 minutes ago, fourstar said:

I agree with this. I actually think that the organization is not too happy with Melancon at all. If he is healthy he will definitely be given a significant role in the bullpen at the outset due to his past success and the money he is being paid, but I doubt they would pull the plug on Strickland if he is still dealing at that point.

Well I really hope you and @JFS179 are right.  Not only would this be a better move this season but it would demonstrate a significant shift in the org's approach to players.  I'm not holding my breath though, because every time I do I pass out waiting.

Rodney still on to ruin ratios, but with no chance for save.

Basically the worst thing for my team happened. No R or RBI for ROsario/Morrison and no sv for Rodney. At least Rosario had a SB.

Just let the Twins play every game at home. Rosario is useless on the road.

Edited by papasmurf
1 minute ago, Helms said:

Norris is legit. 

He has been solid as hell. The Cardinals are savvier than needing Holland to pitch the 9th for trivial reasons. I'm sure they would be happy if he could just be reliable in any inning in general.

Norris got 19 saves last season so it's not like he is a slouch if we are valuing saves for the sake of saves like we have been with Holland

Edited by loro1991
7 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

He has been solid as hell. The Cardinals are savvier than needing Holland to pitch the 9th for trivial reasons. I'm sure they would be happy if he could just be reliable in any inning in general.

Norris got 19 saves last season so it's not like he is a slouch if we are valuing saves for the sake of saves like we have been with Holland

He’s got a 1.72 era and a .9 whip. Also has 22 k’s in 15.2 innings. Perfect 6 for 6 on save chances. There is no way the cards can try to take the job from him.

Edited by Helms
3 minutes ago, Helms said:

He’s got a 1.72 era and a .9 whip. Also has 22 k’s in 15.2 innings. Perfect 6 for 6 on save chances. There is no way the cards can try to take the job from him.

Yeah there's really no practical reason to do so. Matheny is not watching Norris do his thing and saying to himself "Yeah but we really need Holland doing this right now" I think this one can be laid to rest for a bit now. 

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 1