Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

If really needed, after the save just now

 

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Greg Holland is out as the Cardinals’ closer, and Bud Norris is in.

John Mozeliak, the team’s president of baseball operations, made the announcement Tuesday.

The Cardinals signed Holland to a one-year, $14 million deal on opening day and the three-time All-Star is 0-1 with a 7.36 ERA in 10 appearances. He has one blown save, which came Friday in Pittsburgh when St. Louis was leading 5-2 in the ninth inning.

He pitched in Sunday’s loss to the Pirates and gave three hits and one earned run in one inning.

“I don’t think he’ll be used in the ninth inning at this time,” Mozeliak said

Norris will take over the closing duties for now, Mozeliak said. The Cardinals signed Norris in the offseason to a one-year contract for $3 million

 

Asked if he was OK with Norris as the Cardinals’ closer, Mozeliak said: “Am I? Perfectly fine.”

Norris has five saves in five opportunities with a 2.03 ERA. He has allowed just three earned runs in 13 1/3 innings with 20 strikeouts and just two walks.

Edited by loro1991
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring back Rivero. Vazquez sucks. 

This thread is already a complete mess, but a lot of people seem to enjoy the mess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

 

The Cardinals signed Holland to a one-year, $14 million deal on opening day and the three-time All-Star is 0-1 with a 7.36 ERA in 10 appearances. He has one blown save, which came Friday in Pittsburgh when St. Louis was leading 5-2 in the ninth inning.

He pitched in Sunday’s loss to the Pirates and gave three hits and one earned run in one inning.

“I don’t think he’ll be used in the ninth inning at this time,” Mozeliak said

 

Hmm...

 

What if it's the 9th inning and the Cardinals have a ten-run lead?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

I think @handyandy86 agrees with this, based on his previous posts. However, the Giants are going to try to do everything they can IMO to make Melancon the closer, just like the Cardinals are trying to do with Holland. It's not working out with Holland so far and there is a good chance it doesn't work out with Melancon either.

 

@dkrocka @JFS179

 

This is basically my feelings. I think they should let Strickland keep closing as long as he's effective, I know he has good numbers so far this year, and I own multiple shares of him. I am rooting for Strickland to keep the job. 

 

That said, I still think if Melancon were to come back and be healthy and pitch a couple decent innings, there's a good chance he gets put back into the role based on him being a closing "vet" and his salary. I don't think the top paid closer in baseball will get Wally Pipped, personally. Last year when he came back late he was clearly not 100% so I think they were just trying to let him get his arm up to strength for this year. 

 

I still think it's very unlikely he does come back 100% though. Like really really unlikely. I'm just saying on the off chance that he does, I will not be surprised if they get him back in the closer role. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you guys wasting your time on Melancon?

 

I mean, you are applying the "Holland Logic", ie, Melancon is the highest paid reliever in the bullpen, he is paid to be the closer, therefore when he is healthy he will be the closer.

 

But, like Holland, isn't virtually every sign otherwise negative? The health-related stuff I've been reading about him, yikes.

 

Just wash your hands of him and move on. Worry about him when he actually gets a big-league hitter out in a meaningful situation.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Why are you guys wasting your time on Melancon?

 

I mean, you are applying the "Holland Logic", ie, Melancon is the highest paid reliever in the bullpen, he is paid to be the closer, therefore when he is healthy he will be the closer.

 

But, like Holland, isn't virtually every sign otherwise negative? The health-related stuff I've been reading about him, yikes.

 

Just wash your hands of him and move on. Worry about him when he actually gets a big-league hitter out in a meaningful situation.

 

As a Giants fan, Bochy has had a huge boner for Strickland for a long time. They have been grooming him to close ever since 2014 when he could only throw a fastball. He has been given opportunity and chances coming through our system that most guys never come close to getting. He had a lot of leash then and that seniority/pull has only grown since he's added that new pitch, the Harper fight did not help in that department, tho. I wouldn't be so confident about Melancon, durability will continue to be a concern. With all that said about Strickland's seniority, Giants would probably love to trade him if/when things fall off, conserve Melancon this year and use him to close/trade next season.

 

How can Melancon close if he can’t be trusted to pitch two nights in a row. His durability is very concerning. 

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pbjfb said:

Wow jeffress with 2 straight days of efficient saves, 1.2 innings (13 pitches), and 2 innings (26 pitches)

 

Yeah, Hader's been so dominant that people are completely ignoring that Jeffress has been pretty good too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Root Admin
5 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Wow jeffress with 2 straight days of efficient saves, 1.2 innings (13 pitches), and 2 innings (26 pitches)

 

With Knebel back next week, the Brew Crew have a pretty good bullpen....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Wow jeffress with 2 straight days of efficient saves, 1.2 innings (13 pitches), and 2 innings (26 pitches)

Obviously he deserves credit for going out there and locking down the saves for two games in a row, and he should have been the one getting the first crack at them all along (before Hader starting getting 2 inning ones), but I'm not going to get too excited with Knebel coming back very soon.  Maybe I still pick him up briefly, but it's not a situation where I ran to get him already before I typed this post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, evillaw4eva said:

I wonder if Treinen will always pitch more than an inning for his saves. Not ideal

He's been doing that pretty regularly. No reason to expect it to change, especially with the current state of their bullpen (it's lousy).

Fwiw tonight wasn't a save. He came in when it was tied so he got the win. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Waker said:

So his velocity is back to normal but he's still having issues.  What's the deal? No control? No movement?

 

Command isn't great.  But never has been. 

 

But the bigger issue is it seems that his cutter is lacking that late action.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He's been doing that pretty regularly. No reason to expect it to change, especially with the current state of their bullpen (it's lousy).

Fwiw tonight wasn't a save. He came in when it was tied so he got the win. 

 

Just glanced at the box score. Still isn't awesome for his ability to accumulate saves or pitch back to back games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...