NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Soroka 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

On 6/13/2018 at 6:05 PM, chrisrfu said:

Soroka took Sanchez's spot. McCarthy is still in the rotation. Teheran's in the DL so Sanchez is in the rotation for the time being. 

Huh?   Anibal Sanchez pitched tonight.  Seven innings of shutout ball too.  So how is he out when he was in tonight and pitched another excellent game. 

And before tonight's great outing his stats were already at 2.37 ERA with a 1.05 WHIP. 

So how on earth would a contending team pull a really good starter like this on their club?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muh muh muh muh Miiiiiiike Soroka

Nope, here to stay.  Braves fortunately don't play Immediate Panic Over Anything Less Than Perfect Fantasy Baseball.    

Considering his speed bump to a rotation spot is Anibal Sanchez, my suspicion is they're not bringing him up for Ss & Gs.  Unless he tanks, I think he stays.   What's interesting to me i

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Huh?   Anibal Sanchez pitched tonight.  Seven innings of shutout ball too.  So how is he out when he was in tonight and pitched another excellent game. 

And before tonight's great outing his stats were already at 2.37 ERA with a 1.05 WHIP. 

So how on earth would a contending team pull a really good starter like this on their club?

Sanchez is one sneeze from the DL but you're right. 

53 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The team announced yesterday that Anibal Sanchez will be moved to long relief once Teheran and Folty are ready to go.  Soroka's spot is safe regardless.

3 minutes ago, jvfantasy said:

Soroka is heading back to the DL with right shoulder inflamation...could be out for a while. In redraft leagues, I think he's a drop unless there's nothing on the wire.

The Rotoworld blurb:

Braves placed RHP Mike Soroka on the 10-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation.

Soroka struggled in his last start Tuesday against the Blue Jays, yielding four runs over 4 2/3 innings. It's unclear how long the 20-year-old might be sidelined. He just missed a month with a right shoulder strain, so the Braves figure to play this cautiously.

Jun 22 - 3:09 PM

This is pretty concerning. Shoulder injuries scare me more than elbow injuries, and now he's back on the DL with a shoulder issue for the second time this year. Maybe they were being cautious the first time around but that he's on there again makes you wonder if something more serious is going on. Apparently his velo dipped late in his last start.

• Like 2
On 6/22/2018 at 4:08 PM, rdf8585 said:

This is pretty concerning. Shoulder injuries scare me more than elbow injuries, and now he's back on the DL with a shoulder issue for the second time this year. Maybe they were being cautious the first time around but that he's on there again makes you wonder if something more serious is going on. Apparently his velo dipped late in his last start.

I wouldn't call the first DL stint being cautious. In my non-doctor guesstimate, it's probably the same shoulder issue flaring up again, and THIS time they want to be cautious. 

• Like 1
  • Root Admin
5 minutes ago, moeron22 said:

I wouldn't call the first DL stint being cautious. In my non-doctor guesstimate, it's probably the same shoulder issue flaring up again, and THIS time they want to be cautious. 

Correct.  Basically admitting they're starting over.  He'll rest several weeks, maybe more than a month, and then they'll have to build him back up.  I wouldn't rely on him in redraft this year.  If he comes back and has value, throw a party.

• 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Can someone start a 2019 thread for this dude? Also explain why Espn has him project for so little innings for 2019?

Bc these shoulders injuries are like 50/50 ever returning to form and often worse than TJ. I think the industry at large is far too bullish on him. I am braves fan and huge soroka fan but these lingering shoulders suck and braves have no reason to push him with other young SP options. I see Gohara getting more run than Soroka.