NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018 Commissioner's Corner

4 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

This is so nerdy... I kinda like it. 

For the playoffs, would you only be able to use your remaining unused powers? I love the idea of needing a win to get into the playoffs and having to decide whether to use one of the better powers, or saving a tough playoff matchup. 

I didn't go into a lot of detail about the playoffs, but yeah, you only get to use each of the 20 powers one time during the season--regular season and playoffs included.

For the playoffs, though, I envision a total points Battle Royale, rather than head-to-head matchups.  12 teams (half the league) would make the playoffs starting in Week 13, and the three lowest-scoring teams that week would be eliminated.  9 teams would then go on to compete in Week 14, and the three lowest-scoring teams would again be eliminated.  6 teams would then go on to compete in Week 15, losing the lowest three again, so that the top 3 teams would then compete to decide who gets how much money in the Week 16 finals.

Using a superpower in the playoffs would work much like during the regular season, though you would have to specify a target team (and player, if applicable) rather than just having a single opponent to apply the power to.  For instance, if you wanted to use Iron Shield (which reduces an opponent's total score by 10%) during the playoffs, you would have to specify one team as the target of the Iron Shield--it would NOT apply to every other team in the playoffs.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

You can change it to whatever your scoring is...

Yes, I realize that. I guess the question is, what do people prefer, full point vs 0.5 PPR? Only posting here as this is the commish thread and it seems like TPTB feel that 0.5 should be the standard, since that’s what their default scoring is.

I know in my league, any change has to be voted on. So there will be probably endless oppostion this year from people who have great PPR keeper options saying it’s not fair to change, even though the season hasn’t even started. So typically the vote to move to 0.5 PPR might have to be for the 2019 season, not the upcoming one. How do commishes handle changes and votes like this?

2 hours ago, CooL said:

What is happening to this thread? I can’t tell if this superheroes thing is a legit league or just for fun. Seems like the time invested into the post makes it seem for real.

Yahoo is switching to 0.5 PPR this year as default scoring, I believe. Thoughts on this from people who play in full point PPR? Who does it help? Who does it hurt? Obviously if you are in a keeper league and have pass catching RBs, maybe you would be against this change?

I'll continue playing full PPR until my leagues decide they want to bring it to vote. 

Biggest positions hurt are definitely receivers and pass catching backs. Guys like Theo Riddick or Julian Edelman type guys will see a large dip in how they stand compared to others at end of season. 

15 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

I didn't go into a lot of detail about the playoffs, but yeah, you only get to use each of the 20 powers one time during the season--regular season and playoffs included.

For the playoffs, though, I envision a total points Battle Royale, rather than head-to-head matchups.  12 teams (half the league) would make the playoffs starting in Week 13, and the three lowest-scoring teams that week would be eliminated.  9 teams would then go on to compete in Week 14, and the three lowest-scoring teams would again be eliminated.  6 teams would then go on to compete in Week 15, losing the lowest three again, so that the top 3 teams would then compete to decide who gets how much money in the Week 16 finals.

Using a superpower in the playoffs would work much like during the regular season, though you would have to specify a target team (and player, if applicable) rather than just having a single opponent to apply the power to.  For instance, if you wanted to use Iron Shield (which reduces an opponent's total score by 10%) during the playoffs, you would have to specify one team as the target of the Iron Shield--it would NOT apply to every other team in the playoffs.

That makes sense. I honestly might be down for this. I've got 6 more power suggestions (the more the better!). 

Blessed are the meek - Choose one of your starters. If that player scores between 1-5 points, their score is multiplied by 10. (position players only).
Shoot the moon - If your opponent outscores you by 75 points* or more, you win (you can't start injured or bye week players). 

Chaotic evil - Choose your opponent's lineup, but all players get 5 additional points. (no injured or bye week players). 
Hindsight is 20/20- Grants the ability to replace one of your starters with a bench player. That player's score is then doubled. 

Luck of the draw - All starters for both teams are randomly selected.

*Not sure if that number should be higher

This one would take some thought, but...

Strength of the Ancients - Get the fantasy points of a player who previously played the same position for the same team, and in the same week. For example, in week 1, Case Keenum could get Peyton Manning's 2013 7 TD week 1. 

54 minutes ago, CooL said:

Yes, I realize that. I guess the question is, what do people prefer, full point vs 0.5 PPR? Only posting here as this is the commish thread and it seems like TPTB feel that 0.5 should be the standard, since that’s what their default scoring is.

I know in my league, any change has to be voted on. So there will be probably endless oppostion this year from people who have great PPR keeper options saying it’s not fair to change, even though the season hasn’t even started. So typically the vote to move to 0.5 PPR might have to be for the 2019 season, not the upcoming one. How do commishes handle changes and votes like this?

We vote on changes before the draft but they are effective the following season.

6 hours ago, CooL said:

Yes, I realize that. I guess the question is, what do people prefer, full point vs 0.5 PPR?

It doesn't really matter to me.  Standard scoring favors RBs, so if you have a flex position, you typically want to flex a RB.  PPR scoring favors WRs (and pass-catching RBs), so you typically want to flex one of those--while the 0.5 PPR tends to remove the advantage that either position has, so you can just flex your next-best player, whether that's a RB or a WR.

6 hours ago, ajs723 said:

That makes sense. I honestly might be down for this. I've got 6 more power suggestions (the more the better!). 

Blessed are the meek - Choose one of your starters. If that player scores between 1-5 points, their score is multiplied by 10. (position players only).
Shoot the moon - If your opponent outscores you by 75 points* or more, you win (you can't start injured or bye week players). 

Chaotic evil - Choose your opponent's lineup, but all players get 5 additional points. (no injured or bye week players). 
Hindsight is 20/20- Grants the ability to replace one of your starters with a bench player. That player's score is then doubled. 

Luck of the draw - All starters for both teams are randomly selected.

*Not sure if that number should be higher

This one would take some thought, but...

Strength of the Ancients - Get the fantasy points of a player who previously played the same position for the same team, and in the same week. For example, in week 1, Case Keenum could get Peyton Manning's 2013 7 TD week 1. 

The only one of those I even KIND OF like is the "Strength of the Ancients"; but even that would require a lot of research to use effectively.  Even then, it provides more of an advantage than I expect or want any single superpower to give.  There are quite a few 40+ point performances out there, and I've kind of designed the powers to be worth roughly 10-15 pts each--so that using a power doesn't put your opponent at an insurmountable disadvantage.

Blessed are the meek - Scoring 3, 4 or 5 points would be worth 30, 40, or even up to 50 points.  It wouldn't be too hard to achieve with a scrub TE or something--and it kind of goes against the spirit of competitive fantasy football to reward players for being crappy.

Shoot the moon - Maybe you can't start injured or bye week players, but you could probly put together a starting lineup of WR5s and RB4s that would score less than 10 points pretty easily--and the reward for that is an automatic win?  Too much reward for too little effort--and again, you're rewarding teams for being crappy.

Chaotic evil - A lot of teams may only carry one QB, one TE, one K and one D, so you're really only selecting from their bench RBs and WRs--yet you're giving them 45 extra points (9 starters x 5 pts each)?  This basic idea is already addressed adequately by the "Subterfuge" power, which allows you to replace ONE of your opponent's starters with a non-injured, non-bye bench player.

Hindsight is 20/20 - I assume you mean that the replacement can be made AFTER the games are played and you know what everyone's score is (otherwise you could replace a starter with a bench player when you're setting your lineups), but you'd still have to specify that you were going to use this power BEFORE the games were played, which would again lead one to set a lineup of weaker players on the chance that they would later be able to double one of their bench stud's points.  I don't like that.  Plus you can already double one of your players scores by either using "Double Up" (when you and your opponent are both starting the same player) or "Super Strength" (when you're not).  And along the same lines as "Hindsight" is the "Omniscience" power, which gives your team the best possible lineup after the games are played ("best-ball" lineup).

Luck of the draw - I don't see how this is a power that would give you any kind of an advantage.  It would just be a pure gamble.  Superpowers should be advantageous, in general.  Obviously they can backfire to some extent if you use a power that doubles someone's score, and then they score 1 or something--but in MOST cases, one would expect doubling a player's score to be a tangible advantage.  Luck of the draw is not.

So, thanx for the input--and I'm glad you're giving it some thought--but I think you might just have to sit back and let Jesse rob this train.

12 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

The only one of those I even KIND OF like is the "Strength of the Ancients"; but even that would require a lot of research to use effectively.  Even then, it provides more of an advantage than I expect or want any single superpower to give.  There are quite a few 40+ point performances out there, and I've kind of designed the powers to be worth roughly 10-15 pts each--so that using a power doesn't put your opponent at an insurmountable disadvantage.

Blessed are the meek - Scoring 3, 4 or 5 points would be worth 30, 40, or even up to 50 points.  It wouldn't be too hard to achieve with a scrub TE or something--and it kind of goes against the spirit of competitive fantasy football to reward players for being crappy.

Shoot the moon - Maybe you can't start injured or bye week players, but you could probly put together a starting lineup of WR5s and RB4s that would score less than 10 points pretty easily--and the reward for that is an automatic win?  Too much reward for too little effort--and again, you're rewarding teams for being crappy.

Chaotic evil - A lot of teams may only carry one QB, one TE, one K and one D, so you're really only selecting from their bench RBs and WRs--yet you're giving them 45 extra points (9 starters x 5 pts each)?  This basic idea is already addressed adequately by the "Subterfuge" power, which allows you to replace ONE of your opponent's starters with a non-injured, non-bye bench player.

Hindsight is 20/20 - I assume you mean that the replacement can be made AFTER the games are played and you know what everyone's score is (otherwise you could replace a starter with a bench player when you're setting your lineups), but you'd still have to specify that you were going to use this power BEFORE the games were played, which would again lead one to set a lineup of weaker players on the chance that they would later be able to double one of their bench stud's points.  I don't like that.  Plus you can already double one of your players scores by either using "Double Up" (when you and your opponent are both starting the same player) or "Super Strength" (when you're not).  And along the same lines as "Hindsight" is the "Omniscience" power, which gives your team the best possible lineup after the games are played ("best-ball" lineup).

Luck of the draw - I don't see how this is a power that would give you any kind of an advantage.  It would just be a pure gamble.  Superpowers should be advantageous, in general.  Obviously they can backfire to some extent if you use a power that doubles someone's score, and then they score 1 or something--but in MOST cases, one would expect doubling a player's score to be a tangible advantage.  Luck of the draw is not.

So, thanx for the input--and I'm glad you're giving it some thought--but I think you might just have to sit back and let Jesse rob this train.

Gotcha. If I'd go down this road, I wouldn't really be looking to preserve a lot of FF integrity. It would be more about just making it fun and ridiculous...

Your criticism of chaotic evil is a good point. That would probably only work with deeper rosters. 

I still like the idea. I may steal it from you someday. 

1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

Gotcha. If I'd go down this road, I wouldn't really be looking to preserve a lot of FF integrity. It would be more about just making it fun and ridiculous...

I still want it to be recognizable as fantasy football; just with the added twist of the superhero team names and superpowers that aren't negligible, but aren't TOO super, either.

What are some of the worst league settings you've seen?

I've seen these two already this season:

In a league with 2 IDPs, there was a setting for turnover return yardage of 0.1 yards per point.  That means if your IDP intercepts a pass and returns it 10 yards, he gets 100 points (+2 for the INT).  Game over.

A 1 point bonus for 200 yard rushing/receiving performances.  Like the 20+ points you get already isn't enough; let's give you more--but only ONE more, ok?  We don't want to get crazy about it.

worst

this is scoring in one of my leagues all about long tds and kickers score like crazy 

Length of Passing TD 0-19 4 Test
Length of Passing TD 20-49 8 Test
Length of Passing TD 50-110 12 Test
Passing Yards 0-29 0 Test
Passing Yards 30-999 1 points for 30, and then 1 point for every 30 thereafter Test
Passing 2 Pointers 0-100 2 points each Test
Length of Rushing TD 0-19 6 Test
Length of Rushing TD 20-49 12 Test
Length of Rushing TD 50-110 18 Test
Rushing Yards 0-19 0 Test
Rushing Yards 20-999 1 points for 20, and then 1 point for every 20 thereafter Test
Rushing 2 Pointers 0-100 2 points each Test
Length of Receiving TD 0-19 6 Test
Length of Receiving TD 20-49 12 Test
Length of Receiving TD 50-110 18 Test
Receiving Yards 0-29 0 Test
Receiving Yards 20-999 1 points for 20, and then 1 point for every 20 thereafter Test
Receiving 2 Pointers 0-100 2 points each Test
Length of Field Goal Made 0-34 3 Test
Length of Field Goal Made 35-49 5 Test
Length of Field Goal Made 50-99 9 Test
Extra Points 0-10 1 point each Test
Number of Punt Return TDs 0-10 6 points each Test
Number of Kickoff Return TDs 0-10 6 points each Test
3 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

worst

this is scoring in one of my leagues all about long tds and kickers score like crazy 

Length of Passing TD 0-19 4 Test
Length of Passing TD 20-49 8 Test
Length of Passing TD 50-110 12 Test
Passing Yards 0-29 0 Test
Passing Yards 30-999 1 points for 30, and then 1 point for every 30 thereafter Test
Passing 2 Pointers 0-100 2 points each Test
Length of Rushing TD 0-19 6 Test
Length of Rushing TD 20-49 12 Test
Length of Rushing TD 50-110 18 Test
Rushing Yards 0-19 0 Test
Rushing Yards 20-999 1 points for 20, and then 1 point for every 20 thereafter Test
Rushing 2 Pointers 0-100 2 points each Test
Length of Receiving TD 0-19 6 Test
Length of Receiving TD 20-49 12 Test
Length of Receiving TD 50-110 18 Test
Receiving Yards 0-29 0 Test
Receiving Yards 20-999 1 points for 20, and then 1 point for every 20 thereafter Test
Receiving 2 Pointers 0-100 2 points each Test
Length of Field Goal Made 0-34 3 Test
Length of Field Goal Made 35-49 5 Test
Length of Field Goal Made 50-99 9 Test
Extra Points 0-10 1 point each Test
Number of Punt Return TDs 0-10 6 points each Test
Number of Kickoff Return TDs 0-10 6 points each Test

Do you play with Canadian football players or something?  50-110 yard TD?  lol

Yeah, this Commish obviously knew what he was doing.  

The big question is, why are you IN it?

3 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

In a league with 2 IDPs, there was a setting for turnover return yardage of 0.1 yards per point.  That means if your IDP intercepts a pass and returns it 10 yards, he gets 100 points (+2 for the INT).  Game over.

Was that a typo from the commissioner? Because that scoring would make way more sense at .1 points per yard.

I kind of like non standard scoring leagues. Playing the same format every league is blase. One of my favorite leagues is a .1 return yard league. When I first started, I thought it was dumb but it grew on me. It switches the value on WRs a lot and has you sifting through depth charts and trying to figure out week to week value.

10 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

I kind of like non standard scoring leagues. Playing the same format every league is blase. One of my favorite leagues is a .1 return yard league. When I first started, I thought it was dumb but it grew on me. It switches the value on WRs a lot and has you sifting through depth charts and trying to figure out week to week value.

Every year I end up doing some of those too, just to shake up my own personal player rankings in light of an unusual scoring system.  Being different is ok.

But when a random 10 yard INT return means an automatic win, you're no longer playing fantasy football--you're just playing Bingo.

8 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Do you play with Canadian football players or something?  50-110 yard TD?  lol

Yeah, this Commish obviously knew what he was doing.  

The big question is, why are you IN it?

its just something different 

and i forgot to add that league is not h2h and playoffs count and points are doubled in the playoffs 

so when drafting its good to go for them 

and im not sure about the 110 thing its on mfl

This year in our 14 team PPR league where 8 squads make the Playoffs we voted to award the #1 pick to the winner of the losers bracket with the remaining draft order being determined by how the Playoffs transpire for the winners bracket teams, with the non playoff team draft order being determined by reg season record with a points scored tie breaker. 

Teams that fall out of the race routinely sell off assets for future draft picks, but we felt this measure would add a wrinkle to the league and allow the losers bracket teams something to play for at the end of the season .

To ensure the chip stays pure, all winner's bracket teams left will get waiver priority throughout the Playoffs over ALL of the losers bracket squads. 

38 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

This year in our 14 team PPR league where 8 squads make the Playoffs we voted to award the #1 pick to the winner of the losers bracket with the remaining draft order being determined by how the Playoffs transpire for the winners bracket teams, with the non playoff team draft order being determined by reg season record with a points scored tie breaker. 

Teams that fall out of the race routinely sell off assets for future draft picks, but we felt this measure would add a wrinkle to the league and allow the losers bracket teams something to play for at the end of the season .

To ensure the chip stays pure, all winner's bracket teams left will get waiver priority throughout the Playoffs over ALL of the losers bracket squads. 

Our league does something similar.  Got to have something to keep the losers interested, otherwise they would dump all non-keeper eligible players (in our league, studs) so they could speculate on options for next year. 

We have never been able to agree on roster moves in the playoffs.  As it is, it's fair game for everyone, unless you happen to not make either the consolation or the winner's brackets.  Consolation bracket teams should be able to pick up players since they are trying to fight for the #1 draft pick next season.  Not sure how you give priority to only the winner's bracket - sounds like you must use rolling waiver priority and not FAAB.

51 minutes ago, CooL said:

Our league does something similar.  Got to have something to keep the losers interested, otherwise they would dump all non-keeper eligible players (in our league, studs) so they could speculate on options for next year. 

We have never been able to agree on roster moves in the playoffs.  As it is, it's fair game for everyone, unless you happen to not make either the consolation or the winner's brackets.  Consolation bracket teams should be able to pick up players since they are trying to fight for the #1 draft pick next season.  Not sure how you give priority to only the winner's bracket - sounds like you must use rolling waiver priority and not FAAB.

We use rolling waivers in our league and we haven't had an owner leave the league since 2014. Someone tried to buy their way in last year to no avail. 

In a statistical rarity, my sister won her second title last year and went 16-0 reg season and Playoffs combined. 

By using rolling waivers in season, the crappiest teams have a crack at stuff to help them get back in contention, but people sit on stuff a couple weeks ahead of when players get touted by blogs etc even tho we play short benches, 6 spots. 

21 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

My 2 leagues have this. We really love it. And we consider our leagues "semi deeper" leagues. 

We thought 0.1 was a bit much and really changed the scale of players so we adjusted to 0.05 so every 20 yards is 1 point. 

This way return only guys like CPat don't have stand alone value, but the few guys that catch a few and return are serviceable. 

Return yardage is fun. Gets you hoping for more non touch backs and with the rule changes this might happen even more in 2018

7 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

How can you ask them to compete but not grab waiver players to compete with? 

I don't know about that. 

Often times in our league the terrible teams aren't winning anything anyways so this always kept them in a position to struggle and the top 8 or so always stayed the top 8. 

I get it though. It's a handful governing tankers. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to 2018 Commissioner's Corner
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic
  • tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic

Archived