NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018 Commissioner's Corner

They losers bracket can add waiver players in the playoffs, the first round of rolling waiver priority is given to the winners bracket each round tho. 

Even when teams fall out of it in our league, they can still sell off assets and in some cases the first waiver priority in exchange for next years future draft picks. 

8 teams out of 14 make it  to the show and 60% of the time one 6-7 teams gets in the dance as the 8 seed, so it stays pretty competitive all year. 

It's also 150 a squad per year, so people take it pretty seriously. 

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you have a great league and everyone loves it so do you and don't change. 

I'm not a fan or more making the playoffs than miss. That's a big gripe for me with NBA. And the fact that it sucks now and there's no point in playing the regular season anymore, but I digress...

6 playoff teams max is the Bees knees IMO for 12 or 6.

4 for 10.

Regular season success should mean something. 

That's just me though. 

What's up everyone! I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed like the closest spot. I'm looking for some help with the LM note on my ESPN fantasy league. We're going to a slightly custom standing system this year, and I wanted to create a standings section to display our own on the league homepage. I looked into making HTML tables, but it doesn't seem to load into the LM note. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about this?

15 minutes ago, adifazio27 said:

What's up everyone! I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed like the closest spot. I'm looking for some help with the LM note on my ESPN fantasy league. We're going to a slightly custom standing system this year, and I wanted to create a standings section to display our own on the league homepage. I looked into making HTML tables, but it doesn't seem to load into the LM note. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about this?

The standings are on the right hand side. 

We keep the league records on the homepage, and other pertinent information. 

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Sounds like you have a great league and everyone loves it so do you and don't change. 

I'm not a fan or more making the playoffs than miss. That's a big gripe for me with NBA. And the fact that it sucks now and there's no point in playing the regular season anymore, but I digress...

4 for 10.

That's just me though. 

Yeah I totally understand those that would say have 6/14 get in as opposed to 8 out of 14, but I feel 8 keeps more people engaged for longer, I don't think an 8 seed has ever won the title, but I'd have to look. 

What provisions/quirks in your league do you feel make it the most competitive and fun?

55 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Yeah I totally understand those that would say have 6/14 get in as opposed to 8 out of 14, but I feel 8 keeps more people engaged for longer, I don't think an 8 seed has ever won the title, but I'd have to look. 

What provisions/quirks in your league do you feel make it the most competitive and fun?

Lol. You know my league rules man. You asked me to trade "constitutions" or league rules with you and I sent you mine and never got yours or heard from you again until today 

1 hour ago, adifazio27 said:

Sorry, I have no experience with ESPN. 

I'm sure that you could either:

1. Carefully write it out there or

2. Screen capture it and upload the picture file

Like I said, I've got no ESPN experience though after 2007 so maybe not though. 

Just a thought for my fellow commish's...if you are running an auction draft there is no need for a $200 budget unless you specifically want a longer draft. Been using a $100 bidding budget and it is so much faster. It makes every single bid more important, and if ppl are concerned or confused about the difference in player values, its easy....if bell goes for $66 in a $200 budget, well $33 is the same thing, done deal. 

Unrelated to this, who wants in on this setup for a league? 

https://www.fanball.com/article/introducing-guillotine-leagues

12 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

There's good arguments on both sides. Regular season success should mean something, but more playoff teams is more fun for everyone and keeps them engaged longer.

I've never done this, but this might be a solution that covers both bases:
You would have to adjust this for your league's scoring system, but give the #1 seed a 10 pt lead in their first round playoff game against the #8 seed. Give your #2 seed a 7 pt lead over the #7 seed, etc.

This way you can put more teams in the playoffs, but you're still rewarding the higher seeds for their regular season excellence.

13 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

56 minutes ago, andypro77 said:

There's good arguments on both sides. Regular season success should mean something, but more playoff teams is more fun for everyone and keeps them engaged longer.

I've never done this, but this might be a solution that covers both bases:
You would have to adjust this for your league's scoring system, but give the #1 seed a 10 pt lead in their first round playoff game against the #8 seed. Give your #2 seed a 7 pt lead over the #7 seed, etc.

This way you can put more teams in the playoffs, but you're still rewarding the higher seeds for their regular season excellence.

We have 6 get in, which gives top 2 seeds a first week bye.  We also have regular season "winner" getting some cash, so that's a reward in itself as well.  The #7 and 8 teams often don't want to make it into the playoffs as a 6 seed, since they think they'll have no shot and would rather play for next season's #1.  Which to me doesn't really make sense because anything can happen in the playoffs and the point of the whole thing is to try to win the championship, not set yourself up for the next season.

20 minutes ago, CooL said:

Which to me doesn't really make sense because anything can happen in the playoffs and the point of the whole thing is to try to win the championship, not set yourself up for the next season.

I've found that when you start a keeper/dynasty league, everyone wants to win right away. Then, owners become more savvy in assessing their teams and start planning for the future. Then, the final step is that too many teams give up too early and it throw the whole thing out of whack.

31 minutes ago, andypro77 said:

I've found that when you start a keeper/dynasty league, everyone wants to win right away. Then, owners become more savvy in assessing their teams and start planning for the future. Then, the final step is that too many teams give up too early and it throw the whole thing out of whack.

This is the main reason we designed  what I like to call a dynasty hybrid league. 

14 Teams, PPR, IDP, next years future draft picks can be traded, INT & Fumbles -4 Sacks -2 Return Yards score 

The trade rules for trading future picks IN SEASON only are as follows: 

In Season Draft Pick Trading and All Trade Rules

Draft picks for the following season only can be traded for current players and draft pick considerations in the following season only. Picks will be considered in tiers. Since the first 3 players are keepers the first 3 picks are excluded from tiers, leaving 15 picks (rounds 4 through 18) available for trading. Tiers are as follows:

Tier 1: Picks 4 – 8

Tier 2: Picks 9 – 13

Tier 3: Picks 14 – 18

All tiers have 5 picks each for each GM to begin with. You may trade any pick you want from any tier so long as when the transaction is complete each GM involved has no less than 4 picks from each tier so as to eliminate the potential for a GM to completely decimate all of their draft picks from the following year to win now. A GM can trade 2 picks from the same tier as long as the GM is receiving a make up pick from that tier in the same trade so as not to go below 4 picks in that tier in any trade.

All trades for future draft picks are buyer beware. If one of the GMs involved in a trade leaves the league after the season for any reason all picks traded revert back to the team being replaced. I.E. Team 1 sends Tom Brady to Team 2 for a 5th round pick next year. Team 2 leaves after the season is complete, so the 5th round pick sent to Team 1 reverts to Team 2 for the incoming GM to use. This includes if Team 1 subsequently trades that 5th round pick to Team 3 later in the season. Team 2 leaves, the pick Team 3 received from Team 1 goes back to Team 2.

GMs involved in a trade of a player may not involve that player in any subsequent trades between those same GMs in the same season.

All trades involved in draft picks must include the draft picks in the comment box at the bottom of the trade window. All pick trades will be listed in a message board and will be available for all GMs to see. A spreadsheet tracker will be utilized to manage picks trading. If draft picks are a consideration in a trade and the pick traded is not available from one of the teams the trade will be vetoed. No exceptions!

IGNORANCE, MISUNDERSTANDING OR MISAPPLICATION OF THE RULES ON THE PART OF ANY GM WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AND THE TRADE WILL BE VETOED OR REVERSED IF NECESSARY.

Additionally, no rookie that has not yet been drafted into the NFL, will be allowed to be picked up rostered prior to the League Draft.

We haven't had anyone leave in years and I've yet to see anyone try and win for a whole season running double tight ends in their lineup every week. :lol:

In the off-season the trade rules don't apply like they do in season, it's your basic free for all. 

We've only had one trade so far this off-season with Gurley getting moved for a hall, but last year in season we had 32 trades, it was crazy, even crazier is that the champ went 16-0 on the way to her second chip all time. 

1 hour ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

All trades for future draft picks are buyer beware. If one of the GMs involved in a trade leaves the league after the season for any reason all picks traded revert back to the team being replaced.

That would be a tough pill to swallow. I understand the reasoning, but still a tough pill.

I don't have any experience with these types of rules, but I'd consider doing this: As soon as any team trades a tier 1 pick, they must pay their entry fee for the following season (non-refundable). This way a new owner may lose a few draft picks, but you can offset that by allowing his first year to be free.

I can't imagine trading for a few plum picks and then waiting breathlessly to make sure the guy who gave them to me isn't going through a divorce or something and drops out. Ick. But, you said no one has left in a while, so it's probably a non-issue.

As a commish for 30 years, I appreciate the thoroughness.

6 hours ago, 2blackaces said:

Just a thought for my fellow commish's...if you are running an auction draft there is no need for a $200 budget unless you specifically want a longer draft. Been using a $100 bidding budget and it is so much faster. It makes every single bid more important, and if ppl are concerned or confused about the difference in player values, its easy....if bell goes for $66 in a $200 budget, well $33 is the same thing, done deal. 

Unrelated to this, who wants in on this setup for a league? 

https://www.fanball.com/article/introducing-guillotine-leagues

So if a player normally costs $3, now he's $1.50?  All the $1 players are 50 cents?

And why in the name of great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts would anyone want to SHORTEN the best event of the year--the draft???

I don't understand people who treat fantasy football like a chore to get out of the way as quickly as possible.

4 hours ago, andypro77 said:

That would be a tough pill to swallow. I understand the reasoning, but still a tough pill.

I don't have any experience with these types of rules, but I'd consider doing this: As soon as any team trades a tier 1 pick, they must pay their entry fee for the following season (non-refundable). This way a new owner may lose a few draft picks, but you can offset that by allowing his first year to be free.

I can't imagine trading for a few plum picks and then waiting breathlessly to make sure the guy who gave them to me isn't going through a divorce or something and drops out. Ick. But, you said no one has left in a while, so it's probably a non-issue.

As a commish for 30 years, I appreciate the thoroughness.

Yeah it has been in the past by GM's that have held those picks when someone leaves. Thing is, the only people that have left just couldn't take not being able to win the league and go all the way, or in some extreme instances, couldn't even make the playoffs. 

The safeguards make sure I can always sell a vacant team, and you just have to be cognizant of the person's mental health you are dealing with. 

Seven teams have been in all 8 years. 

I'm 52-52 lifetime in the regular season, 6 playoff appearances in 8 years, no titles. 

It's tough sledding, lots of stats nerds. 

3 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Yeah it has been in the past by GM's that have held those picks when someone leaves. Thing is, the only people that have left just couldn't take not being able to win the league and go all the way, or in some extreme instances, couldn't even make the playoffs. 

The safeguards make sure I can always sell a vacant team, and you just have to be cognizant of the person's mental health you are dealing with. 

Seven teams have been in all 8 years. 

I'm 52-52 lifetime in the regular season, 6 playoff appearances in 8 years, no titles. 

It's tough sledding, lots of stats nerds. 

It's a lot easier to pass off a depleted team than you'd believe. 

I've passed off 2 depleted teams and they recovered just fine. Having a public wait list really helps in that regard to show people the league is legit and they might not get another chance. 

I know that if I tanked and acquired a truck load of draft picks and you overturned it and I lost all my picks for the future season while giving up on the season prior I'd quit the league out of anger probably. 

1 minute ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

It's a lot easier to pass off a depleted team than you'd believe. 

I've passed off 2 depleted teams and they recovered just fine. Having a public wait list really helps in that regard to show people the league is legit and they might not get another chance. 

I know that if I tanked and acquired a truck load of draft picks and you overturned it and I lost all my picks for the future season while giving up on the season prior I'd quit the league out of anger probably. 

Nobody really leaves. 

One guy tied to buy his way in last year to no avail. 

I think it's the trophy,. 

Cash comes and goes, titles last forever. 

Our league doesn’t allow trading of future draft picks, even though it is a keeper (but not a dynasty) league. As others said, if I sold off assets to acquire future picks and then the guy that gave them to me quits, how is that my fault? Why should I get punished? The guy that quit got my studs for a (presumed) failed playoff stretch run, didn’t win the ship, so just ups and leaves. Wouldn’t be cool with me.  

I agree with the above suggestion and would propose some some kind of cash security deposit. If you trade a future pick, you have to put some cash in which would be applied to the other guy’s entry fee next year should you leave. If you’re still in, then it’s applied to your own. 

Trading draft picks is what makes these keeper type leagues so amazing IMO. 

And specifically offseason trading helps keep the leagues year round. 

It definitely creates lots of tanking and things like that, but I think that's a huge part of the game (as can be seen in any major 4 sports franchise). 

I think the greatness it creates is worth the headaches that also comes with it. 

I won't sit here and say that I haven't voiced my frustration and asked for help in years past though in previous versions of this very thread. Because I definitely have. But then this thread delivered. We currently have almost 3 pages of our "constitution" dedicated to tanking and attempts to control and curb them. 

This year up for vote we have the newest and craziest rule of them all though. I'll let y'all know if it passes and the outcomes it has on the 2018 season. 

19 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

So if a player normally costs $3, now he's $1.50?  All the $1 players are 50 cents?

And why in the name of great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts would anyone want to SHORTEN the best event of the year--the draft???

I don't understand people who treat fantasy football like a chore to get out of the way as quickly as possible.

The best event of the year is when the season kicks off on Thursday imo, but I digress. Regarding shortening the draft, is it really enjoyable when your at the end and it takes 30 minutes for all of the $1 players to go? Idk, I dont find that part fun myself, but to each their own. Regarding the $3 players being $1.50 etc, obviously there is no $.5 bids, but maybe they're $2 instead, whatever at that point, you get my original point. 

Honestly after being in 50 plus redraft leagues 2 years ago, then down to low 20s last year, redraft isn't that fun. Dynasty is where it's at. It's been mentioned several times in this thread regarding trading off draft picks adding to the enjoyment of it, and i'd agree 100% with that assessment.

4 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Trading draft picks is what makes these keeper type leagues so amazing IMO. 

And specifically offseason trading helps keep the leagues year round. 

It definitely creates lots of tanking and things like that, but I think that's a huge part of the game (as can be seen in any major 4 sports franchise). 

I think the greatness it creates is worth the headaches that also comes with it. 

I won't sit here and say that I haven't voiced my frustration and asked for help in years past though in previous versions of this very thread. Because I definitely have. But then this thread delivered. We currently have almost 3 pages of our "constitution" dedicated to tanking and attempts to control and curb them. 

This year up for vote we have the newest and craziest rule of them all though. I'll let y'all know if it passes and the outcomes it has on the 2018 season. 

Dreams, is yours a dynasty league then?  My league has talked about draft pick trading, but we just don't know how it would work.  We are a limited keeper league, with restrictions on how many you can keep (2) and some players are non-keeper eligible (if player was drafted in first 20 picks).  We don't lock in keeper selections until right before draft.  I suppose you could trade these guys in the offseason for a draft pick, or before the playoffs trade your studs for future draft picks.  What platform are you using that allows offseason activity?  Or is it basically a call into the commish and the trade is finalized?  Does your league maintain activity (emails, message board posts, etc.) during the offseason?

28 minutes ago, CooL said:

Dreams, is yours a dynasty league then?  My league has talked about draft pick trading, but we just don't know how it would work.  We are a limited keeper league, with restrictions on how many you can keep (2) and some players are non-keeper eligible (if player was drafted in first 20 picks).  We don't lock in keeper selections until right before draft.  I suppose you could trade these guys in the offseason for a draft pick, or before the playoffs trade your studs for future draft picks.  What platform are you using that allows offseason activity?  Or is it basically a call into the commish and the trade is finalized?  Does your league maintain activity (emails, message board posts, etc.) during the offseason?

1. No, not a dynasty league. My keeper league which I refer to the most in threads like this has a pretty unique set up that I don't see shared by many others when I surf the internets. 

We keep 3 going into the draft. 1 absolute protected. The other 2 go on the block. When 1 gets drafted you get the other back. Not everyone likes this and that's fine. We love it. 

2.  The platform we use is Yahoo. I just export the draft pick chart with depicts all the draft pick trades into excel and then manually adjust it for each trade made in the offseason. 

3.  Yes, I'm commish and you basically let me know that you've worked out a deal. Post it publicly to the group FB page where we interact in the offseason and I modify the excel draft pick chart and upload it there with changes represented. 

Before the next season's draft you'll have to make all changes that were done in the offseason. Yahoo allows draft order modifications pretty easily though. 

4.  Yes, we've always maintained activity in the offseason. Used to be completely done on the yahoo message boards, but over the years almost all communications have crossed over to Facebook group page. The message boards worked just fine though. 

If you go the route of draft pick trading, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's worth the headaches it creates, but I won't pretend that it doesn't create headaches lol. 

20 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

If you go the route of draft pick trading, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's worth the headaches it creates, but I won't pretend that it doesn't create headaches lol. 

I get about 20-25 pick trades a year in my keeper.  its a pain, yeah, but its worth it I guess.     One limit I put on it is no future year trades beyond the first.  During last season, you could of course trade a 2018 draft pick, but not a 2019 one or later-  that's too much to manage.      

My problem right now is that I likely have to boot someone.  He made awful trades 2 years ago I had to overturn.  I gave him one more chance, and then in week 13 he didnt change his lineup in a crucial matchup- kept two injured players in, and it was known all week they wouldn't play.    The problem with replacing him is his roster blows.    His best keepers are- Henry (4th), Corey Davis (7th), Tevin Coleman (7th).    He does have an extra 3rd round pick........but its because he gave up on Hopkins early in the year (to the guy who won it all).      Now its hard to get a new guy when he's coming in at a disadvantage.   I'm going to float the idea of letting him take a one round discount on all his keepers (even if he trades for a guy), or, giving him the option to do a leftover keep- grab a player another owner doesn't want, at his normal price, before the draft. 

On 6/22/2018 at 10:59 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

4 for 10.

That's just me though. 

Ya I can't stand leagues where 8 teams make it.

9 hours ago, CooL said:

Our league doesn’t allow trading of future draft picks, even though it is a keeper (but not a dynasty) league. As others said, if I sold off assets to acquire future picks and then the guy that gave them to me quits, how is that my fault? Why should I get punished? The guy that quit got my studs for a (presumed) failed playoff stretch run, didn’t win the ship, so just ups and leaves. Wouldn’t be cool with me.  

I agree with the above suggestion and would propose some some kind of cash security deposit. If you trade a future pick, you have to put some cash in which would be applied to the other guy’s entry fee next year should you leave. If you’re still in, then it’s applied to your own. 

We do a 50 dollar deposit if you trade future picks; which equates to 25%

• tonycpsu changed the title to 2018 Commissioner's Corner
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic
  • tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic

Archived