Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

according to mlb...hes #84 overall.

 

not to get all tinfoil, but this trade seems somewhat suspect.  i mean i get hes a rental...but i dunno.

 

Suspect that the O's got so much for a rental?  Yeah I agree.  O's grabbed way more than anyone expected for Machado.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

according to mlb...hes #84 overall.

 

not to get all tinfoil, but this trade seems somewhat suspect.  i mean i get hes a rental...but i dunno.

Yeah I meant the Dodgers #4.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm constantly amused by the speculation of what kind of return these rental players will fetch.  The game has changed over the last few years.  Teams value prospects highly, and rental players no longer carry the compensatory picks when they leave.  You're literally just buying 3 months of the guy.

 

I said at the time that I thought Theo was nuts to trade Gleyber for Chapman, and though history claims the price was justified (winning a World Series and breaking the curse), I still think it was stupid.  Indians similarly gave up Frazier for Miller, but at least Miller's still with the club (not sure if he was signed for longer at the time, and I'm too lazy to look it up).  

 

At the time Chapman fetched Torres, the Cubs were flush with prospects and chasing history.  I think Theo knew it could blow up in his face down the road, but they don't win that title without someone like Chapman (given how much Maddon abused him).

 

Point of all of this ... teams looking to get a major prospect haul are going to have to sell the year before their player reaches FA.  If Machado was signed through 2019, then the Orioles could've really cashed in.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, teams like Atlanta looking for a stopgap upgrade at 3B have to be thrilled to see the Machado return.  Moustakas for 3 months should cost less than Machado just fetched.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I'm constantly amused by the speculation of what kind of return these rental players will fetch.  The game has changed over the last few years.  Teams value prospects highly, and rental players no longer carry the compensatory picks when they leave.  You're literally just buying 3 months of the guy.

 

I said at the time that I thought Theo was nuts to trade Gleyber for Chapman, and though history claims the price was justified (winning a World Series and breaking the curse), I still think it was stupid.  Indians similarly gave up Frazier for Miller, but at least Miller's still with the club (not sure if he was signed for longer at the time, and I'm too lazy to look it up).  

 

At the time Chapman fetched Torres, the Cubs were flush with prospects and chasing history.  I think Theo knew it could blow up in his face down the road, but they don't win that title without someone like Chapman (given how much Maddon abused him).

 

Point of all of this ... teams looking to get a major prospect haul are going to have to sell the year before their player reaches FA.  If Machado was signed through 2019, then the Orioles could've really cashed in.

 

 

That bolded point has been a hot topic on Bay Area sports talk regarding Bumgarner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Also, teams like Atlanta looking for a stopgap upgrade at 3B have to be thrilled to see the Machado return.  Moustakas for 3 months should cost less than Machado just fetched.

 

Wait? You're telling me that Moose should cost less than Machado? 

disguise omg GIF

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

 

That bolded point has been a hot topic on Bay Area sports talk regarding Bumgarner.

 

This is common practice in European soccer. The common timeframe for signing extensions is with a year left on a contract and guys routinely are sold at that point if it's clear they aren't going to re-up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Preller being really smart about this deadline.  Go secure high end prospects by trading your bullpen guys with team control left.  He should ship out Yates and Stammen too.  Who cares if you can close games when you're going to lose 90+?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

I'm constantly amused by the speculation of what kind of return these rental players will fetch.  The game has changed over the last few years.  Teams value prospects highly, and rental players no longer carry the compensatory picks when they leave.  You're literally just buying 3 months of the guy.

 

I said at the time that I thought Theo was nuts to trade Gleyber for Chapman, and though history claims the price was justified (winning a World Series and breaking the curse), I still think it was stupid.  Indians similarly gave up Frazier for Miller, but at least Miller's still with the club (not sure if he was signed for longer at the time, and I'm too lazy to look it up).  

 

At the time Chapman fetched Torres, the Cubs were flush with prospects and chasing history.  I think Theo knew it could blow up in his face down the road, but they don't win that title without someone like Chapman (given how much Maddon abused him).

 

Point of all of this ... teams looking to get a major prospect haul are going to have to sell the year before their player reaches FA.  If Machado was signed through 2019, then the Orioles could've really cashed in.

 

100% agree

 

the Chapman/Theo thing was an Outlier.  Cubs and Theo knew they were overpaying...but they were overpaying for a ring.

 

and yea, miller got sheffield and frazier but he was prob the best relief pitcher and had 2 more years of control at about 7 mil a year, which is reasonable

Link to post
Share on other sites

I present the dichotomy of MLB General Managers, ladies and gentlemen.

 

On the left hand, Dan Duquette, ignoring the international market, signing absurd contracts in the offseason (hello Alex Cobb), and barely fetching a top-100 prospect for his star player after curiously buying (sort of) last deadline.

 

On the right hand, AJ Preller, heavily investing internationally, signing cast offs from other teams to team-friendly contracts, selling his players with team control left for elite prospects.

 

It doesn't get much more stark than that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

So is it Brad Hand and Adam Cimber for Mejia? Thats a pretty nice get for SD. Will Hand fall back to 7th inning when Miller is back?

 

Could be like the Astros situation where it's matchup-dependant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Wondering if Mejia stays in the bigs. SD already has a bunch of OF and a possible ascendant C in Hedges.  

 

He played 3B in the AFL ... lots of scouts are convinced he's not a long term C anyway, and as you mentioned SD already has Hedges.  I've heard 2B and 3B mentioned as destinations for Mejia.  Stick him at 3rd for the next two months and find out if he can hit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Wondering if Mejia stays in the bigs. SD already has a bunch of OF and a possible ascendant C in Hedges.  

 

Wondering about this as well.  Can Mejia even stay at catcher?  I happen believe Mejia is a little overrated as a prospect considering he might not be good enough defensively there.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

So is it Brad Hand and Adam Cimber for Mejia? Thats a pretty nice get for SD. Will Hand fall back to 7th inning when Miller is back?

 

I'm assuming Hand/Allen are co-closers depending on matchups and Miller has the 8th. 

 

I really hope this means no more appearances for Allen in non-save ops.  He's horrific in that spot every time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...