NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Meadows 2018 Outlook

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Not much reason to be, imo. For his career he's going to be a low HR, high BA guy with some steals. Not really a 5-tool guy.

A lot like Winkler at the moment.  High quality reality players.  Depends on format for fantasy value.  Alex Verdugo goes in this category right now, too.

1 minute ago, TTRA1N said:

Fantasy owners don't seem too excited about him.

1) Likely to be a short stay

2) Fantasy owners look for big SB or HR numbers whereas he projects as a 15/20 type long term with a high BA and he likely won't get there right away. 

He could be a useful fantasy player.  But the fantasy ceiling isn't likely worth the rookie growing pains in non deep non keeper settings. 

Bu as always...league dependent...juiced balls...room for growth...blah blah blah. Yah never know.

I still picked up Meadows shortly after the news broke.  Even if the shine has worn off on his status as a prospect, it doesn't exactly hurt to roll the dice with him.  At the very least, maybe he'll be some temporary cheap speed.  That is if he plays regularly, which would be the only way calling him up would make much sense.

He’s doing pretty well in AAA 8 bags in 32 games.  Who knows what could happen in 10 days?  Add now, worry about rest later.  If he sucks then you send his a** back to waiver wire.

If there wasn't extreme wind blowing in tonight in Pittsburgh, Meadows would have had a monster debut.  Hard to complain about a 2-4 with 1 SB debut, but without the wind, he would have likely gone 4-4 with 1 or 2 HR's and the 1 SB.  At the very least, his 2nd flyout would have been a HR without the wind.  He crushed it, and if the first one wouldn't have been one, it would have been a double off the wall instead of a long flyout.

On 5/17/2018 at 5:38 PM, TTRA1N said:

Fantasy owners don't seem too excited about him.

What's there to be excited about? He has no power, and showed minimal on base skills in AAA. Doubtful he suddenly improves in the majors. Plus hes probably hitting at the bottom of the order. 

I find it very hard to believe that he'll be sent down if he performs at a high level.  Do they have that much belief in Polanco?  The guy is really not that good.  Although he might be visiting the same doctor that Cano was visiting.

2 minutes ago, cs3 said:

What's there to be excited about? He has no power, and showed minimal on base skills in AAA. Doubtful he suddenly improves in the majors. Plus hes probably hitting at the bottom of the order. 

I'm just don'  see PT. Ozzie and Lindor had no power in the minors either.

7 hours ago, cs3 said:

The tune would be a lot different in here if it wasn't for last night's wind, but still, I don't see anything wrong with picking him up while he's up.  Very little to lose, and even if he doesn't crush a ball again on a regular day and gets an actual HR, the batting average and any SBs he gets would make it worthwhile.  It's not like it's raining SBs, even if some players are stealing more than expected.

7 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I find it very hard to believe that he'll be sent down if he performs at a high level.  Do they have that much belief in Polanco?  The guy is really not that good.  Although he might be visiting the same doctor that Cano was visiting.

While I don't disagree with you that it's getting close to time to give up on Polanco (lack of any real improvement this season, and he's a liability in the field since they can't play him anywhere but RF), I don't see them doing so even if Meadows does go crazy while Marte is out.  I own Meadows, so obviously I would love it, but I'm sure the team still views Polanco as a big part of the team.  It may be a short stay in AAA though while we're on the subject of Polanco given his history.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

The tune would be a lot different in here if it wasn't for last night's wind, but still, I don't see anything wrong with picking him up while he's up.  Very little to lose, and even if he doesn't crush a ball again on a regular day and gets an actual HR, the batting average and any SBs he gets would make it worthwhile.  It's not like it's raining SBs, even if some players are stealing more than expected.

While I don't disagree with you that it's getting close to time to give up on Polanco (lack of any real improvement this season, and he's a liability in the field since they can't play him anywhere but RF), I don't see them doing so even if Meadows does go crazy while Marte is out.  I own Meadows, so obviously I would love it, but I'm sure the team still views Polanco as a big part of the team.  It may be a short stay in AAA though while we're on the subject of Polanco given his history.

Polanco has been pretty good this year. It's going to take an injury or a Dickerson trade to clear up room for Meadows. Bat has been pretty good and despite what the defensive metrics say on FanGraphs, he hasn't been that bad in the field. Only thing that gets Meadows up is an injury, which doesn't seem too far fetched now that Polanco is getting pitched inside a lot now

28 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Polanco has been pretty good this year. It's going to take an injury or a Dickerson trade to clear up room for Meadows. Bat has been pretty good and despite what the defensive metrics say on FanGraphs, he hasn't been that bad in the field. Only thing that gets Meadows up is an injury, which doesn't seem too far fetched now that Polanco is getting pitched inside a lot now

Polanco has been better this season in OPS and obviously his walk rate, but he's striking out more than ever and has been just as maddeningly inconsitent as ever.  It looks like he's relatively hot right now, but he started out the season on fire and we know where that went up until recently.

I'm not saying he doesn't end up having a decent season, and I know/already said that the Pirates are definitely not giving up on Polanco this season.  You are right that it will take an injury for Meadows to be up in the majors again after Marte gets back.  I don't see them trading Dickerson unless they fall out of the race, even if he tanks again the second half.  I'll happily take whatever Meadows can give me for however long Marte is out for now.

Watched his ABs last night and he looked very comfortable, and showed good plate discipline. Totally agree with KilloWertz above, drove one to the wall against the wind.

However, I'm also not seeing any path to playing time barring injury, and I don't see any trades happening, especially with CDick, who is quickly becoming a fan favorite. Solid hold/buy in dynasty, but unfortunately we may have to wait a while for full time work. 

5 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Im not saying don't pick him up. Always pick up anything that has potential, and drop if necessary.

I was just responding to the statement that there's not much excitement in regards to his callup. He simply has not been that good the past couple years on the minors, had a major injury and missed lots of time, and therefore there is not much hype. 

Archived