NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Meadows 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

Pirates have somehow built something interesting. Keep in mind, Jordan Luplow could be in the majors and top pitching prospect Mitch Keller is probably a year away. After that nothing overly exciting in Pirates org, but the good "young talent" they have (Meadows, Moran, Musgrove, Luplow, Kuhl, Glasnow,  etc) are all pretty much now in the majors. Can they bring it all together? They have a nice mix of youth, young vets and vets...a potentially outstanding pitching staff, two catchers who can not only field, but hit. 

Of course, in this city where the Steelers and Penguins are elite, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE has any confidence in the Pirates. So cynicism still exists, but they are sliding toward officially being "interesting" and Austin Meadows is one of those reasons. 

"NO ONE"

B)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starling Marte - OF - Pirates
Pirates activated OF Starling Marte from the 10-day disabled list.

Marte returns from his oblique injury on the first day that he's eligible to do so. In a corresponding move, Jose Osuna was optioned to Triple-A, meaning the hot-hitting Austin Meadows will remain with the team for the time being. Prior to landing on the DL, Marte was hitting .308/.366/.503 with six homers, 19 RBI and 10 stolen bases.

I'm guessing that means Polanco is benched for the time being.  You wouldn't think they would keep Meadows up just to be a 4th OF.  If that is the case, I'm still mildly surprised this has gone down like this even though it was one of the most obvious decisions any team would have had to make this season.

I will treat today as a day off for Meadows.  Disappointing after seeing he was staying up, but I'll still let it slide.  If he's not in there tomorrow and Polanco still is, then Hurdle needs to be fired on the spot.  Granted the team should have sent Polanco down and not Osuna, but they left Meadows up, so it's more on Hurdle than the team imo.

Nothing is going to change with Polanco if he plays at all.  He needs to be benched or sent down to AAA to actually work on things.  There's not guarantee that will help as it's quite evident that Polanco doesn't want to change as he's borderline sucked for his whole career (his .OPS for most of his career has been horrid for a player with his skill set) and refuses to play anything but RF anymore, but him even playing a game or two a week will accomplish very little.  I honestly would be shocked if Polanco ever improves, but there's one thing that is for sure and that is Meadows needs to be in the lineup tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Polanco's bad season is extremely overblown, but I wouldn't be mad if his slump meant at bats for Meadows 

How is it overblown?  He had a nice stretch to start the season, but other than the walks, he's been pretty horrible since other than a solid week in early May.  He's also been a pretty horrible RF, and there are stats to back that up.  He has a -5.2 or something like that WAR in RF.

Hurdle needs to be fired.  Meadows has been nothing but spectacular since coming up and just won NL Player of the Week, but yet he's going to be the 4th OF now.  Give me a break...

His wRC+ is at a career high, his power is way up, his x stats look pretty good, even though he's K'ing more he's walking enough to justify it because his OBP is also a career high. You could break his season into chunks if you want, but he's had a decent May. He hasn't been good over the last week and a half but... I'm willing to buy that his D hasnt been great but baseball prosectus has his defense at just below average. Meadows could very well be better and deserves PT but it's definitely not a no brainer bench/demotion for Polanco 

3 hours ago, mpbaseball22 said:

His wRC+ is at a career high, his power is way up, his x stats look pretty good, even though he's K'ing more he's walking enough to justify it because his OBP is also a career high. You could break his season into chunks if you want, but he's had a decent May. He hasn't been good over the last week and a half but... I'm willing to buy that his D hasnt been great but baseball prosectus has his defense at just below average. Meadows could very well be better and deserves PT but it's definitely not a no brainer bench/demotion for Polanco 

I'll throw out bothering talking about Polanco's season because it's obvious that will go nowhere, but one thing is certain...  No team should bench a player that just won NL Player of the Week.  A hitter as hot as Meadows has to be left in there until he stops hitting.  If he slumps, which basically everybody does, then you consider working Polanco back in a bit.  Obviously that would do little good in the end for Meadows' development, but in the short term not continuing to play him everyday is idiotic.  Nothing you can say can change that fact.

It's obvious Polanco isn't helping the team at all right now, so there's nothing wrong with benching him or sending him down to AAA to work on things while Meadows stays in the lineup and they continue to ride his hot streak until it ends.

O'neill was hot in St.Louis and has sat the last 2 games, managers tend to stick with their guys above the flavor of the week, I agree Polanco hasn't been all that great for the last 2 years, Maybe they can trade him but i doubt they will because Dickerson is a free agent and with the year he's having they won't be able to compete for him on the open market, Kingery started hot and we all know what he's doing now. I'm not saying that will happen to Meadows but its not like he was setting the minors on fire

53 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I'll throw out bothering talking about Polanco's season because it's obvious that will go nowhere, but one thing is certain...  No team should bench a player that just won NL Player of the Week.  A hitter as hot as Meadows has to be left in there until he stops hitting.  If he slumps, which basically everybody does, then you consider working Polanco back in a bit.  Obviously that would do little good in the end for Meadows' development, but in the short term not continuing to play him everyday is idiotic.  Nothing you can say can change that fact.

It's obvious Polanco isn't helping the team at all right now, so there's nothing wrong with benching him or sending him down to AAA to work on things while Meadows stays in the lineup and they continue to ride his hot streak until it ends.

If he's benched again tomorrow I'll agree with you. Polanco batting 7th now doesn't seem like the biggest vote of confidence from Hurdle. Meadows has played a lot this month (including MiLB) and with a day game tomorrow I would be shocked if Meadows wasn't in the lineup tomorrow

Also Dickerson is under team control next year through arb, but it seems likely he's dealt in the off-season

Meadows is expected to serve as a part of a four-man outfield rotation for the immediate future, DK Pittsburgh Sports reports.

After grounding out in a pinch-hitting role Saturday, Meadows is hitting .433 in 30 at-bats with three homers and two stolen bases. "Meadow's performance was eye-catching," Hurdle said. "We'll see where this all goes. With the stretch of games that are coming up it seemed like the tactical baseball move to make." The Pirates have only two days off in the next month. Meadows will likely need to exceed expectations to stick with the Bucs, but the team is willing to forego his development at the minor-league level while he's hot.

Started out tonights game with a double, scored a run, and just hit a solo home run.. This kid is looking pretty good. Glad I scooped him up and put him in my NA spot in my dynasty league a couple of weeks ago, was happily surprised when I seen him sitting there.

Just had a great AB against Brandon Morrow, worked the count, fought off some tough pitches and got a broken bat infield single to help the Pirates stay alive while they try to rally back in the 9th.

Archived