NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Meadows 2018 Outlook

22 minutes ago, Fielder1831 said:

Just traded this guy starting to feel really bad about it. Great at bat against Morrow in a pressure situation.

I'm considering the same if I can get something good. Not to suggest Meadows isn't intriguing. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Do you guys think his value is greater than someone like Acunas at this point? 

His trade value?   I would think his value is close but probably not much greater because of perceived/potential value that Acuna still has.

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Do you guys think his value is greater than someone like Acunas at this point? 

Not even close, Meadows could be better this year but you’d get a lot more for Acuna even with the injury. Meadows doesn’t have the hype or pedigree that Acuna has so you’re likely not going to get a huge return for him. 

1 hour ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Not even close, Meadows could be better this year but you’d get a lot more for Acuna even with the injury. Meadows doesn’t have the hype or pedigree that Acuna has so you’re likely not going to get a huge return for him. 

He was a top ten first round pick...

and 23 years old. 

24 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

He was a top ten first round pick...

and 23 years old. 

Yes, but he still doesn’t have much name value for trade purposes. The average person doesn’t know who he is and if they check his minor league numbers they are fairly underwhelming. Yes he is on fire but you’re likely to get laughed at if you try to offer him for a bigger name. 

Yes, but he still doesn’t have much name value for trade purposes. The average person doesn’t know who he is and if they check his minor league numbers they are fairly underwhelming. Yes he is on fire but you’re likely to get laughed at if you try to offer him for a bigger name. 

Right. I’m just saying that he has the pedigree. 

Are you referring to yesterday or is he benched again today? 

Lu’s aren’t out yet so has to be yesterday. 

Polanco had a really good game last night, but they are still severely mishandling the whole situation.  In no way has Polanco earned a long enough leash to be working out his problem in the majors.  I know he's had good moments this season and had a relatively solid 2016 season, he has yet to have enough success over a prolonged period of time to get this kind of treatment.  He has put some work in from what the Pittsburgh announcers are saying, but I still see nothing wrong with sending him down to work on things for a decent amount of time and allowing Meadows to continue to play on a regular basis.  Sure, he'd slump eventually, but he's one of your top prospects and now he's becoming a part-time player because you refuse to do the logical thing and you treat a player who has essentially been a mediocre player over his career so far as if it's blasphemy to send him to AAA because it's just a slump.  Yep, it's just a slump when a player with his talent has a career OPS of .720.  So far, he's just hasn't been that good, so stop treating him like he's ever done something to earn the level of commitment to him that they have so far.

It does no good for Meadows to play 2 games, sit 2 games, and then maybe play a game or two again.  First, it seemed like they were doing the stupid thing after leaving him up and were going to have him be a traditional 4th OF and hardly play.  Makes no sense given he's quite possibly the team's top prospect, but hey, what have they done lately that's made much sense beyond saying thank you to the Rays for cutting Corey Dickerson?  Then Hurdle makes it seem like he's still going to play a lot and their OFs will get more days off right now because they have hardly any days off for a long stretch.  Meadows even played 4 games in a row.  4, OMG!  Oops, guess that was a lie now that he's sitting 2 games in a row.

I watch the Pirates and listen to their sports radio station, so it's not like I'm going on this rant just because I'm an Austin Meadows owner in fantasy baseball.  Teams have sent plenty of players to AAA to work on things in the past, and they've been better players than Gregory Polanco.  What they are doing right now is not even remotely logical.  I could understand it if Meadows wasn't doing anything special, but that's about as far from the truth as possible right now.  You simply don't do this kind of a thing when your top prospect (or close to it) is front and center in all of this.  I could ignore the whole Polanco factor and have it all just be about Meadows, and that would still hold true.  They could not be handling this situation much worse than they are right now.

He's probably going to play around 4 days a week. There's a day game tomorrow so he's 100% playing tomorrow. If you expect him to get 6 starts a week you need to hope for an injury or a Dickerson trade because Polanco isn't going to AAA

1 minute ago, thefamily79 said:

I have to believe for a hitter 3 to 4 mlb starts is better for development than 6 minors starts per week so long as he doesn't get stuck in a handed platoon.  

It's possible.  I'm no expert on that particular thing, but since I've had a bit of time to cool down from my rant post (though I still believe in everything I said), you may be right.  Still, he should be playing everyday, but there's not much more to be said about that.

OMG, he's actually playing!  He's really in the lineup today!

Wait, that's pretty sad when you have to get excited about a player hitting over .400 actually being in the lineup on a given day...

This situation really is an unsolvable pickle.  I guess they could trade Dickerson.   I recall Bell playing 3rd in the distant past but even then none of the 4 OFs can play 1st (not that this scenario would ever happen).

2 hours ago, thefamily79 said:

This situation really is an unsolvable pickle.  I guess they could trade Dickerson.   I recall Bell playing 3rd in the distant past but even then none of the 4 OFs can play 1st (not that this scenario would ever happen).

Regardless of what the team and some people think, it's an easy fix.  Once Marte was activated, send Polanco to AAA to work on things, and let Meadows play everyday.  I know a career .249 hitter with a .720 OPS obviously is too good to demote and deserves to work through everything at the major league level, and it would be crazy to let a guy hitting over .400 continue to play everyday over somebody with that amazing of a track record.

At least he is continuing to prove that he deserves to play everyday by hitting that game tying HR.  Very impressive to see him make the adjustment in the middle of the game and actually look for the inside pitch since they were pitching him inside all game.  I know others have made adjustments mid game too, but it's still nice to see from a rookie.

Archived