NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Meadows 2018 Outlook

gotta throw a little credit toward this Pitcher List dude:

... But if I were a betting man, I’d bet that Meadows will rise to the occasion... upon facing higher quality competition, I predict he will sharpen things up and tap into a new level of focus. This isn’t an unheard-of phenomenon. Sometimes, talented players get challenged at the highest level, and their truest talents come out – like a reserved, unsure aspiring Jedi who shows tremendous strength and courage when faced with an imminent threat from an evil overlord, or when dark forces conspire to threat those who are innocent. Despite the underwhelming Minor League stats, Meadows is going to get on base, steal bases, and score runs... Maybe I’m a sucker. Maybe I’m a sucker for the gloss of his raw, undisputed talent. The numbers are the numbers are the numbers. But I predict he is going to produce and play his way into most 5-outfielder leagues.

rest of article did a goofy hypothetical about how Meadows whole career will play out... bit zany but I enjoyed it. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, machine3 said:

Sitting again....

It's hard to be a Pirates fan. 

Pretty much.  It's really hard to be a fan when they continue to give regular playing time to a player that is hitting .202, but the real kicker is they continue to play/reward a guy that just admitted recently that there will be times that he won't give 100%.  This has nothing to do with me owning Meadows, but if a player that was hitting .200 came out and said that he wasn't going to play hard, I would have cut him right then and there.  Maybe that's why I've been such a big fan of Jose Ramirez even before he busted out last season.  8 or 9 guys like him are what I would want on my team, and I mean the work ethic and hustle on the field.  Obviously the Pirates weren't going to do that because they love him, but this has happened now multiple seasons straight where he refuses to run at times for balls in the OF or running the bases.  I understand he has had hamstring issues in the past, but there's no excuse for it this season.  He's healthy, but if you're going to continue to be too scared/lazy to play as hard as you are supposed to all the time, then it's time to stop rewarding that.

It's quite obvious their handling of this situation is not working. Polanco has gotten no better.  The Twins just sent what should have been one of their Top 3 guys down to  Single A, and he's already had more success in his career than Polanco, but yet the Pirates still don't feel that's the right course of action.  Let's continue with a 4-man OF rotation that's pretty much a joke now even with Pittsburgh's own media where a guy hitting .200 gets to play pretty much everyday while superior options sit on the bench.  It's not even just Meadows anymore.  Now Dickerson, who has been at worst their 2nd best hitter all season, is sitting way more than he should be.  I actually think he's sat more than Polanco has this week.  If I'm wrong, then it's a tie at best.

Other than when Musgrove pitches, I hope they lose every game from here on out.  It's what the team and Hurdle (not the players) deserves.

1 minute ago, cdd10 said:

probably get full PT once the fire sell happens won't he?

I doubt Dickerson is traded in season, unless they REALLY fall out of the wild card race before the deadline. An injury is his clearest path to 7 starts a week, but right now he is still only sitting 1-2 games a week

1 minute ago, mpbaseball22 said:

I doubt Dickerson is traded in season, unless they REALLY fall out of the wild card race before the deadline. An injury is his clearest path to 7 starts a week, but right now he is still only sitting 1-2 games a week

highly likely

1 hour ago, abachar said:

I dropped him [Removed Cool Story]  Seems to have lost his groove/power stroke due to the BS playing time situation 

hard to blame him - awful handling of his development!  

• 4 weeks later...

Luplow with two bombs today, Marte on an 11-game hitting streak, Polanco finally red hot, Dickerson solid as always. 

Not sure what the Bucs plan to do with Meadows for the rest of July. Using him as a pinch hitter isn't helping his development. He'd be better served playing every day in AAA until they need him/trade Dickerson. 

jeez perfect example of how to shatter a kid's confidence....this kid was a top prospect who showed it on the field...1st prolonged slump and they bench him then send him down?  not a fan.  

I did part ways but I can see him back in August so long as the Bucs aren't suddenly 10 games over by the deadline.  Even if they move Dickerson there is still real risk of time sharing esp. with Ludlow.

• 3 weeks later...

Added him first and will ask questions later. Will have to see how PT shakes out with Ker/Pham/Meadows and Mallex playing well. Hopefully he can get some consistent run there.

Archived