NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jose Suarez - SP LAA

I went to pick him up and he comes up,  but you can't click on his name, says tomorrow 25th, which is now...lol

It is Jose Suarez, right?

56 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

I went to pick him up and he comes up,  but you can't click on his name, says tomorrow 25th, which is now...lol

It is Jose Suarez, right?

Finally was able to click on his name and pull him up. Says he's on waivers till the 27th. I'm thinking this guy was just added recently to the CBS database.

3 hours ago, tootallball said:

How do you guys rank him compared to other top LHP in the minors? Looking at him compared to guys like Morejon or Luzardo

I’d say he’s higher than morejon based on proximity and upside, but lower than luzardo who I think is probably a top 3-5 pitching prospect right now

19 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I’d say he’s higher than morejon based on proximity and upside, but lower than luzardo who I think is probably a top 3-5 pitching prospect right now

Thanks Brock, putting together my board for an upcoming draft. Need to restock the farm with some pitching. 

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I bought Dennis Santana, but Suarez is out there. How would you rank them? I also have Canning. I can't figure out what order to put them in.

https://www.faketeams.com/2018/5/26/17398150/fantasy-baseball-dynasty-target-jose-suarez

Before the promotion, Suarez led all of the minor leagues with 69 strikeouts over 38 23 innings, which is 42% of opposing batters and good for a 15.8 K/9. His mechanics are free and loose while he holds the poise and confidence of a veteran on the mound. Mobile manager Lou Marson has even touted Suarez’ ability to hold runners and control the running game, which is not typical of a young pitcher. The one knock on Suarez coming into this season was his questionable curveball, but the lefty has all but completely erased the skepticism in 2018, with many scouts now calling his hook a “plus-pitch” to go with his already major league ready change-up. The 20-year-old’s fastball velocity has also jumped to 94 mph, which has made his already plus change-up even more effective.

• Like 1

Given that he's never thrown more than 73 innings in a season before and that he's already at 39 innings this year, it does seem like there's a pretty good chance he's in the Angels bullpen at some point later this year. And he could just dominate in that role. Long-term, he has intriguing potential as a starter.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • 2 weeks later...

richards may hit the DL. is this guy a realistic possibility at all? or is he not up to start til maybe next season?

fwiw: not in yahoo, naturally

Edited by WTP333
  • 7 months later...

Guy really shot up with his insane rates (in a SSS) during AA time. Leveled out in AAA as he set career highs in IP (120) and you really have to consider how hitter skewed the PCL is too. Be very interesting to see how he fares in ST this year, because he is right on the doorstep now. He's def a back-half top 100 guy for me.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Guy really shot up with his insane rates (in a SSS) during AA time. Leveled out in AAA as he set career highs in IP (120) and you really have to consider how hitter skewed the PCL is too. Be very interesting to see how he fares in ST this year, because he is right on the doorstep now. He's def a back-half top 100 guy for me.

Saw this today too

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, TheK1d said:

with his stuff improving last year and his curve being  at least an above average pitch, what's his ceiling? a 3 or still a 4.  

Still a 4.  Moved to the PCL and his BB rate skyrocketed again.  Needs more time down to prove he can limit that again 35 bbs in 78.1 IP.  Has good stuff, but his fastball is definitely hittable and doesn't move as much as many scouts would like to see.  If he improves his BB rate and keeps his K rate I can see him as a 3.

44 minutes ago, TheK1d said:

with his stuff improving last year and his curve being  at least an above average pitch, what's his ceiling? a 3 or still a 4.  

A legit #3 type of ceiling here. So young and was pushed aggressively. Stuff can still tick up yet at his age.

His stock appears to have fallen but I don't think anything about him has changed much other than his ETA to the majors now being closer. That alone makes me interested.

I'd rather own pitching prospects like this than flashier 18 year old guys in rookie ball. We'll find out if he's worth something this year at least. I think with his current price of almost free, he's a strong add/trade target in deeper leagues as a low opportunity cost gamble with a chance of being a contributing member of your fantasy MLB rotation as early as 2019. And he's got Simba helping him in the infield, which is nice. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Went down early in ST with a 'minor' shoulder thingy, info has been sparse since but I noticed this today from Fangraphs:

I saw Angels lefty Jose Suarez rehab in Tempe yesterday. He looked good, sitting 91-93, with command and an above-average curveball (it’s slow but has good bite, and he commands it), and some plus changeups. He didn’t break camp due to a sore shoulder, which is kind of scary, but the stuff looks fine. The Angels rotation has struggled with injuries, so Suarez might see the big leagues this year. He’s in our top 100.

• 3 weeks later...

Suarez (shoulder) is expected to be activated off the minor-league injured list at Triple-A Salt Lake this weekend, Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic reports.

Suarez has been sidelined since early March due to a sore shoulder. The 21-year-old wasn't expected to face a lengthy absence originally, but he suffered a setback at some point and has remained at extended spring training. Suarez posted a 4.48 ERA, 1.48 WHIP and 73:35 K:BB over 78.1 innings for the Bees last season.