• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kelvin Herrera - Alex Colome Owners Support Group  

Parker getting set before the pitch...  

This is the laziness that frustrates many of us, and just adds to a thread that is already difficult for many people to read through. It’s only 2 pages, and question was asked and answered one page be

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, kittenmittons said:

Stupid crap like this is why San Diego will perpetually suck into eternity. 

Sox have made some terrible trade for relievers (Gagne, Thornburg, Elias, etc), so as a Sox fan, nothing would surprise me....

https://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Giants-closer-Hunter-Strickland-punches-wall-13008665.php

Tony Watson and Sam Dyson, who have closing experience, will share the ninth inning, although one will get the majority of save chances. Bochy was not ready to declare which until he spoke to the pitchers but said he hoped to stay away from Watson on Tuesday night.

Bochy said Mark Melancon, who was signed to a four-year, $62 million before 2017 to be the closer, does not have the "resiliency" yet to close after rehabbing arm injuries for the season's first two months.

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, kittenmittons said:

Stupid crap like this is why San Diego will perpetually suck into eternity. 

So they should just trade him for Boston's scraps?  He isn't a free agent for 3 more seasons.  It's not like he's a free agent at the end of the year like Herrera.

23 minutes ago, Morat said:

https://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Giants-closer-Hunter-Strickland-punches-wall-13008665.php

Tony Watson and Sam Dyson, who have closing experience, will share the ninth inning, although one will get the majority of save chances. Bochy was not ready to declare which until he spoke to the pitchers but said he hoped to stay away from Watson on Tuesday night.

Bochy said Mark Melancon, who was signed to a four-year, $62 million before 2017 to be the closer, does not have the "resiliency" yet to close after rehabbing arm injuries for the season's first two months.

As I said in the Strickland thread, there's no way we run a Watson/Dyson committee the rest of the year.  Those guys are far too valuable in their respective 8th inning/high leverage roles.  Melancon will be closing within a couple weeks.  The window to buy low is rapidly closing here as he could have been had off the wire or for next to nothing a couple weeks ago.

18 minutes ago, herschel said:

Sox have made some terrible trade for relievers (Gagne, Thornburg, Elias, etc), so as a Sox fan, nothing would surprise me....

I don't think the Sox thought they were giving up a player anywhere near as talented as Devers is in any of those deals. 

Shaw was a mistake in hindsight, but he was a 27 year old who they thought was a AAAA platoon guy.   Devers is only 21 and reached the majors at 20. 

The Gagne and Elias prospects never became anything unless I am forgetting something.  

The Red Sox have actually been smart about their prospect trades over the years.  Basically if the Sox are offering a prospect, you should just back away because something is wrong with him.  The only prospects I can remember them trading who were actually good were Hanley and Moncada, and they got Beckett and Sale out of those deals. 

The Padres are overplaying their Hand here.   Relievers are the most replaceable players in baseball, and their long term success is almost always a big gamble aside from a few elite guys. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Anything to see with the Hicks opp?

VULTURE SAVE WATCH

Wednesday:
1. Jordan Hicks — Entering Tuesday, Bud Norris has pitched in two straight games.

CM was a day late.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

So they should just trade him for Boston's scraps?  He isn't a free agent for 3 more seasons.  It's not like he's a free agent at the end of the year like Herrera.

No, they should trade him for prospects before his effectiveness fluctuates next year or the year after, as RPs are very prone to.  That contract could suddenly look a lot different for the Padres in a year. 

Asking for an elite prospect who is already in the majors is a non starter for almost all teams so I don't see them getting anyone on the level of Devers.

Boston could get a comparable pitcher for cheaper prospect cost with a higher salary or get an elite starter like degrom if they want to move Devers. 

9 minutes ago, kittenmittons said:

No, they should trade him for prospects before his effectiveness fluctuates next year or the year after, as RPs are very prone to.  That contract could suddenly look a lot different for the Padres in a year. 

Asking for an elite prospect who is already in the majors is a non starter for almost all teams so I don't see them getting anyone on the level of Devers.

Boston could get a comparable pitcher for cheaper prospect cost with a higher salary or get an elite starter like degrom if they want to move Devers. 

i highly doubt you could get an elite starter for Devers. 

• Like 2
Just now, cdd10 said:

i highly doubt you could get an elite starter for Devers. 

No kidding. Their system is so barren the only way they'd be able to get deGrom is by moving Benintendi+

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

not when you have joe kelly who has lefties hitting him at a 3 for 44 clip this year...lol

like i said, STUPID to give up an everyday young talent like devers

Update on Joe Kelly v LH hitters?

ill hang up and listen 

51 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Rondon in as a fireman. 

Got lit on fire.  Not sure what the heck the 'Stros are doing with the 9th inning.  It just is a revolving door of who to grab.

3 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

lol Romo you lazy azz. That's gonna come back to haunt you.

That was an utterly unplayable ball - had nothing to do with laziness.  Way too much sidespin.

3 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

Is Archie Bradley an add yet?

If you’re in a holds league, or need some ratio help, absolutely.

Just now, Jyeatbvg said:

Brian McCann + Infield Hit = You probably had a chance

I’m not sure if you were actually watching - trust me, there was nothing any pitcher could’ve done with that.