Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

June Closer Thread 2018


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kelvin Herrera - Alex Colome Owners Support Group  

Parker getting set before the pitch...  

This is the laziness that frustrates many of us, and just adds to a thread that is already difficult for many people to read through. It’s only 2 pages, and question was asked and answered one page be

Posted Images

7 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Norris shaky lately. HR to Cervelli on Thurs and the BS/W Dirty Fuentes today. It's not like Hicks or anyone else in the STL pen have been lights out, but I could see more of a committee developing there if Norris keeps leaking oil. 

 

Hicks has been pretty good recently minus his last game (to which Norris contributed).  Has upped his k numbers recently which some site attributed to a slider.  

Edited by knuckleheads
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ctrlsoul said:

Diaz 20th Save!! 

 

He'll be lucky to have 10 more as horrific as he's been.

 

Colome is there so this dude needs to step it up a skosh. Maybe 2 skoshes.

Edited by SuperJoint
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

 

He'll be lucky to have 10 more as horrific as he's been.

 

Colome is there so this dude needs to step it up a skosh. Maybe 2 skoshes.

 

Colome isn't remotely in the mix.  Pulling Diaz at this point is almost like pulling Kimbrell when he gave up two blow saves in the past week or so.  Diaz is the best young closer in baseball right now and the man in Seattle.  Colome is his new caddy.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Norris shaky lately. HR to Cervelli on Thurs and the BS/W Dirty Fuentes today. It's not like Hicks or anyone else in the STL pen have been lights out, but I could see more of a committee developing there if Norris keeps leaking oil. 

A bit shaky, but I'm not concerned about yesterday.  He went up against a rookie taking the league by storm right now and got beat, but he bounced back and struck out the side after that.  If he keeps giving up HR's, then sure, but yesterday's game didn't concern me one bit really.  And no, it's not because I also own Meadows along with Norris. :)

Edited by KilloWertz
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

Colome isn't remotely in the mix.  Pulling Diaz at this point is almost like pulling Kimbrell when he gave up two blow saves in the past week or so.  Diaz is the best young closer in baseball right now and the man in Seattle.  Colome is his new caddy.

 

I agree Diaz has a pretty long leash, and long term he is the closer in Seattle, but they are also a contending team and I don't think they'd keep running him out there if he blew up a couple more times. I can't remember if it was last year or 2016, but they removed him temporarily from the role for a few weeks to clear his head at one point. 

 

Plan A is obviously to have Diaz close and Colome be setup man, but I don't think Diaz has quite the leash that the top guys do yet. Especially in such a competitive AL West where the M's will need all the wins they can get. It's a situation at least worth keeping an eye on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Steve gar said:

Curious if anyone has heard speculation about the Padres dealing Brad Hand, a move like that could really help the club, considering the haul they’d receive.

 

 

He's signed through 2021 at escalating, but very reasonable, cap hits for a closer. That probably fits roughly in the timeline of where the Padres plan to start contending (see Hosmer signing). I think he's viewed more as a future piece of their team than a short term trade chip, unless they got an offer that blows them away. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those speculating on the Jays' closer situation, Oh blew up big time yesterday for 3 ER and only getting 2 outs. Came in for the 8th inning in a tie game at home (setup man role) and blew it.

 

So it would seem that puts Tepera further ahead in the closer role just by default. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess there was no way Tepera could have earned a save coming in up by 5 in the 8th with one out and two runners on, right? I was foolishly looking for one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kaesr said:

I guess there was no way Tepera could have earned a save coming in up by 5 in the 8th with one out and two runners on, right? I was foolishly looking for one.

 

If they had been up by 4, I think he would have gotten the save. Tying run would have been on deck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cody Allen in a nonsave situation gives up a 2 run walkoff to Rosario (his 3rd HR of the day) after waling Dozier.

 

Allen is terribly overrated.

Edited by ragrag
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Cody Allen in a nonsave situation gives up a 2 run walkoff to Rosario (his 3rd HR of the day) after waling Dozier.

 

Allen is terribly overrated.

 

He's definitely not an elite arm, and he has a rough stretch every year, but he always ends up with around a 3.00 ERA, decent WHIP, and 30+ SV like clockwork. 

 

Out of all the closers he has been pretty solid and predictable on a year to year basis. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...