Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

June Closer Thread 2018


smeeze
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

 

I don't think so.  I think he likes to keep him as a middle relief lefty option.  And Smith can give you a couple innings if need be.  

Maybe, but when he was in MIL he was discussed as a closing option before Jeffress took over.  And he did start the ninth the other night.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Low and Away said:

He never saw the ball. Marlins CF lost one also that Belt hit. Tough sky today.

 

not sure that he never saw the ball, at first he was running back and looked like he saw it (how would he even know to run back if he never saw it?), but then kept looking back at the wall like he was scared to run into it, I think that is when he lost it. if the sky is tough today, and as you are running you take your eye off the ball and turn your head it's going to be that much harder to find the ball again. it should have been an out IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moronta probably should get the next chance even though his control has been shaky this season.  Even with the shaky control, he's no worse of an option than the alternatives.  I still believe Watson fails if given the chance over any sort of length of time because of how he melted down in Pittsburgh.  It actually took him a while to even become a good setup man again after that.  Still, what a manger should do and what he will do are too often two different things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Moronta probably should get the next chance even though his control has been shaky this season.  Even with the shaky control, he's no worse of an option than the alternatives.  I still believe Watson fails if given the chance over any sort of length of time because of how he melted down in Pittsburgh.  It actually took him a while to even become a good setup man again after that.  Still, what a manger should do and what he will do are too often two different things.

 

Yeah I think given skill sets, Moronta has the nastiest stuff.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RotoGenius said:

So, you really think Dyson is done in the role after one mediocre outing in which he would've had the save had a guy not lost a ball in the sun?

 

Image result for confused gif - giphy

Given that he was a replacement in name only to this point, and looked the worst he has all year at the worst time, I think that's a strong possibility.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You never know, but after thinking about it, I do think Dyson gets the next opportunity.  If he sucks in that one too, then I think Bochy makes a switch.  You can never truly predict what a MLB manager is going to do, so take that for what it's worth, but it was just one bad outing.  He might as well since it would be a shock if the alternative in his mind wasn't Watson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

You never know, but after thinking about it, I do think Dyson gets the next opportunity.  If he sucks in that one too, then I think Bochy makes a switch.  You can never truly predict what a MLB manager is going to do, so take that for what it's worth, but it was just one bad outing.  He might as well since it would be a shock if the alternative in his mind wasn't Watson.

 

He looked so hittable. The only thing I’m defending him on is the fly out he should’ve had and most likely would’ve had the save if not for that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RotoGenius said:

So, you really think Dyson is done in the role after one mediocre outing in which he would've had the save had a guy not lost a ball in the sun?

 

Yeah, I tend to think he has a small amount more leash -  sure, he just got the job, but Bochy went out and specifically said "Dyson is our guy now".  He's kind of stuck with him for another bad outing or two at this point.  If he had've done the usual "well we'll use a few guys in the role depending on matchup" speech then he could easily pivot to someone else, but it's pretty flaky to name a closer and boot him after one game.  

 

I also think people are over-selling how bad Dyson is.  4 of his last 5 seasons he's had an ERA under 3, pitching in pretty high leverage situations.  He's just a ground-ball guy so he looks like junk when he's not inducing grounders.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

 

Yeah, I tend to think he has a small amount more leash -  sure, he just got the job, but Bochy went out and specifically said "Dyson is our guy now".  He's kind of stuck with him for another bad outing or two at this point.  If he had've done the usual "well we'll use a few guys in the role depending on matchup" speech then he could easily pivot to someone else, but it's pretty flaky to name a closer and boot him after one game.  

 

I also think people are over-selling how bad Dyson is.  4 of his last 5 seasons he's had an ERA under 3, pitching in pretty high leverage situations.  He's just a ground-ball guy so he looks like junk when he's not inducing grounders.

 

Well, Dyson's stats are unimpressive. But I don't think people are saying Dyson is bad solely because of his stats/numbers. He's just shown himself to wilt under pressure over the years moreso than the "closer" prototype guys who can find a way to get the job done night after night even without their best stuff, like say Jansen. Jansen struggled for a bit and then figured it out fairly quickly. Dyson on the other hand is the type to snowball a little trouble into big trouble and then into huge problems where he's nearly losing his spot on the roster, let alone the closer job. And so now, here we have a little trouble after last night.

 

So I think the sentiment around here is more based on a "de ja vu all over again" feeling than Dyson's stats, which like I said are certainly unimpressive, especially for a closer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think when it comes to using their top bullpen arms more managers are getting wiser and going with the better matchups rather than set bullpen spots (like the 7th, 8th and 9th innings).  Thus trying to figure out when relievers like Seranthony or Gsellman etc. are going to be used and what it all means in the long run is simply guesswork from game to game.   Both could eventually be fulltime closers or both may continue in their roles as such. Don't think that when they are used earlier in a game means they are further or closer to the closer role.

Edited by knuckleheads
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

I think when it comes to using their top bullpen arms more managers are getting wiser and going with the better matchups rather than set bullpen spots (like the 7th, 8th and 9th innings).  Thus trying to figure out when relievers like Seranthony or Gsellman etc. are going to be used and what it all means in the long run is simply guesswork from game to game.   Both could eventually be fulltime closers or both may continue in their roles as such. Don't think that when they are used earlier in a game means they are further or closer to the closer role.

 

Managers "name a closer" in the beginning of the season. It's tradition. Its customary for the bullpen contingent to "know their roles". But once all the set-up guys get accustomed to pitching in an array of scenarios  (eg, tie game in 6th, up two in 8th) why mess with that?

 

I think that's why you see managers reluctant to appoint a new closer when the incumbent goes down.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JMO...random thoughts...

I realize Familia has been on the DL, but Callaway's management of the pen the past 3-4 weeks has committee written all over it.  That teamed with him floating the idea of using anyone in the 9th in Spring training makes me bump all of the Mets down a bit.  Like Philadelphia, they aren't worthless, but rather several guys have a small amount of value.  

 

Mets, Rays, Phillies, Astros appear to be full blown committees.  Royals, Angels, Giants could be heading in that direction.  

 

I think Cishek is the guy for the Cubs. 

 

Still not convinced the Diamondbacks don't put Hirano in at closer if Box blows up.

 

Padres wanted Devers for Hand.  This was similar to what they were asking for last season.  Their price hasn't dropped. 

 

Royals look like they've moved Staumont back to starter.  McCarthy probably the next guy up, if there is one, but Tim Hill appears to be the best arm.  Very undesirable situation.  Hopefully Dick Lovelady gets some save chances this season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

 

Managers "name a closer" in the beginning of the season. It's tradition. Its customary for the bullpen contingent to "know their roles". But once all the set-up guys get accustomed to pitching in an array of scenarios  (eg, tie game in 6th, up two in 8th) why mess with that?

 

I think that's why you see managers reluctant to appoint a new closer when the incumbent goes down.

 

 

Except for the very real factor that some guys just can't handle closing duties I think pitchers should be used in situations that makes sense and gives them the best opportunity to succeed.  That could be based on a particular set inning for some but for most pitchers I think how they match up vs certain players makes even more sense. I feel like managers are doing this more now which confuses fantasy folks when wondering who will do what when.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dyson has to get save chances going forward. the manager already named him the closer. he can't really remove this reliever after 1 outting. the rest of the bullpen would never have confidence in what the manager says.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Magoo said:

Will Smith?  

 

IMO Smith would be their best closer.  I think a few years back he was a next-in-line option for an open Brewers gig just before his injury issues.   Bad luck then  but now looks to be fully back. If other optiins stumble I think he holds it if ever given a chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

Dyson has to get save chances going forward. the manager already named him the closer. he can't really remove this reliever after 1 outting. the rest of the bullpen would never have confidence in what the manager says.

 

I also think Bochy knows that his constant shuffling of bullpen roles in 2016 hurt the Giants down the stretch and he'll like to avoid that situation again. 

 

Dyson is a jag but I think Bochy goes to him the next couple of save opps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, RenegadeGM said:

BREAKING NEWS: When Cubs RP Brandon Morrow returns from injury, he will have a medical exemption allowing him to go pantsless for the remainder of the season.

 

Morrow hurt his back putting on his pants?

 

That's code for he hurt his back doing the deed but they don't want to say that publicly. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...