NBC Sports EDGE Forums

June Closer Thread 2018

smeeze

13 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He’s not better than Parker, and maybe slightly better than Anderson. I don’t think he would, but Scioscia the wildcard here I suppose. 

I actually think Anderson is better than both.

Let's look at this another way: Of the contenders, who might not keep their current closer in that position if the team made a trade?

Astros...maybe. Wouldn't surprise me if they traded for someone to close out games. Wouldn't surprise me if they kept the status quo.

Angels...this seems like the safest gamble on the list. Parker or Anderson or whoever might keep the job, but they haven't exactly dominated. 

Phillies...if they stay close they might. I could definitely see them trading for someone to close games out. Leave Seranthony as a fireman.

Cardinals...don't think that's high on their list of priorities right now but I could see it happening. 

Arizona...if Boxberger keeps faltering maybe they trade for a guy. They have internal options but if someone falls into their laps I don't think they'd hesitate to hand them the ninth.

I think that's the list. I can't see any other contenders dumping their closer (barring injury) in favor of some midseason hired gun.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Let's look at this another way: Of the contenders, who might not keep their current closer in that position if the team made a trade?

Astros...maybe. Wouldn't surprise me if they traded for someone to close out games. Wouldn't surprise me if they kept the status quo.

Angels...this seems like the safest gamble on the list. Parker or Anderson or whoever might keep the job, but they haven't exactly dominated. 

Phillies...if they stay close they might. I could definitely see them trading for someone to close games out. Leave Seranthony as a fireman.

Cardinals...don't think that's high on their list of priorities right now but I could see it happening. 

Arizona...if Boxberger keeps faltering maybe they trade for a guy. They have internal options but if someone falls into their laps I don't think they'd hesitate to hand them the ninth.

I think that's the list. I can't see any other contenders dumping their closer (barring injury) in favor of some midseason hired gun.

i also think Arizona might make a move this year.

not only maybe go after Britton, but possibly manny machado as well

44 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Greene isn’t closing on a contender. 

Greene has converted 4 of 4 save opportunities in his last five appearances with a 0.00 ERA over five innings, and has one blown save along with a 15:2 K:BB ratio on the road this season.

He's now 19-for-22 in save chances on the season while posting a 3.57 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 40/10 K/BB ratio in 35 1/3 innings.

doesnt seem like a bad closer to me.

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

So if Parker was on the Tigers you think he would convert 19 of 22 save opportunities?

Ive seen Parker melt down too many times to believe that.

Ok. I’m not gonna argue “what-ifs.” You might be right. The numbers suggest they’re similar pitchers.

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

Ok. I’m not gonna argue “what-ifs.” You might be right. The numbers suggest they’re similar pitchers.

If baseball worked purely off numbers then it would be very easy to predict.

I like that there is a human element to baseball. Some pitchers rise to the occassion of being a closer and others shrivel under the pressure of high leverage situations

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

If baseball worked purely off numbers then it would be very easy to predict.

I like that there is a human element to baseball. Some pitchers rise to the occassion of being a closer and others shrivel under the pressure of high leverage situations

They're almost all high leverage situations. While human elements are undoubtedly a factor, if you even make it to this level you've probably faced - and overcome - a lot of the mental hurdles it takes to reach the majors.

When we're dealing with such SSS I don't think it's realistic to start discussing the 'mental' side of things. It's probably just noise. And if it isn't noise, it's probably due to the fact hitters have a different approach in the ninth inning than they do in other innings. So what previously worked incredibly well in early innings might not be as effective in the last inning. That has little to nothing to do with mental aptitude. 

12 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

They're almost all high leverage situations. While human elements are undoubtedly a factor, if you even make it to this level you've probably faced - and overcome - a lot of the mental hurdles it takes to reach the majors.

When we're dealing with such SSS I don't think it's realistic to start discussing the 'mental' side of things. It's probably just noise. And if it isn't noise, it's probably due to the fact hitters have a different approach in the ninth inning than they do in other innings. So what previously worked incredibly well in early innings might not be as effective in the last inning. That has little to nothing to do with mental aptitude. 

Almost every professional player I've ever talked to (admittedly less than 10) has stated that pitching the ninth inning requires a specific mindset that most do not have.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Almost every professional player I've ever talked to (admittedly less than 10) has stated that pitching the ninth inning requires a specific mindset that most do not have.

Sure, I believe that. Most people never make it to the majors.