NBC Sports Edge Forums

June Closer Thread 2018

As requested, source on admin leave not being considered “discipline”: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article212522594.html

I’m not sure why this is relevant for purposes of determining Osuna’s potential 2018 availability, but here it is.

Edited by BMcP
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kelvin Herrera - Alex Colome Owners Support Group  

Parker getting set before the pitch...  

This is the laziness that frustrates many of us, and just adds to a thread that is already difficult for many people to read through. It’s only 2 pages, and question was asked and answered one page be

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, BMcP said:

As requested, source on admin leave not being considered “discipline”: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article212522594.html

I’m not sure why this is relevant for purposes of determining Osuna’s potential 2018 availability, but here it is.

That article also says he can argue any discipline before an arbitrator pretty vague really. So optimally I'm thinking he could have his charges dropped June 18th and possibly no suspension that's why I think it could be relevant. Getting an upper mid tier closer for free would be pretty sweet that's why I'm stashing to see how this plays out.  

8 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

That article also says he can argue any discipline before an arbitrator pretty vague really. So optimally I'm thinking he could have his charges dropped June 18th and possibly no suspension that's why I think it could be relevant. Getting an upper mid tier closer for free would be pretty sweet that's why I'm stashing to see how this plays out.  

I put in a waiver request for him today, and thinking the same you are thinking. Even if the case gets moved (kind of like E. Elliott), can get good value out of him. 

2 hours ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

I put in a waiver request for him today, and thinking the same you are thinking. Even if the case gets moved (kind of like E. Elliott), can get good value out of him. 

Just like Elliot though, Osuna is going to burn up a bench spot on your team for eternity, with the hope that you get a couple games out of him late in the season.  But I guess that all comes down to league and roster construction.

Unlike Elliot, however, there seems to be a lot more damning evidence against Osuna.  I think his chances of getting out of this unscathed are slim to none.  Cops were called during the altercation and showed up right away, with all of the physical evidence right there in front of them.  The only thing more damning would be video evidence ala Ray Rice.

34 minutes ago, crazyfingers711 said:

Is Knebel in trouble of losing his closing duties?

Last time he got the 2 out save because hader was in trouble and the next time they used hader in the 7th so it looks like he gained back some trust but he could definitely lose it if he starts blowing saves again

1 hour ago, crazyfingers711 said:

Is Knebel in trouble of losing his closing duties?

To me it looks as though Hader will limit Knebel's save upside, yet he will still receive ample opportunities when Hader is unavailable/they do not need him for a multi-inning stint.  Lowered expectations from the preseason though I do not think he loses his job, nor is he close.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Eventually they’ll have to give jace fry a chance.  He’s the only one in that pen who hasn’t sucked eggs

Fry did give up a 2-run homer to Jesus Aguilar on June 2

He’s also gotten guys out.  I don’t think rick renteria went to his office before the game to look at FIP and woba.  He just wants guys out and games not blown in grandiose fashion.  I’m not saying he’s going to be billy Wagner, just the next guy up.  If not him, then who?

8 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

He’s also gotten guys out.  I don’t think rick renteria went to his office before the game to look at FIP and woba.  He just wants guys out and games not blown in grandiose fashion.  I’m not saying he’s going to be billy Wagner, just the next guy up.  If not him, then who?

I"m not saying he's not. I'm just saying to pay attention to him and keep a cautious eye out. I'm not talking about FIP or woba...I'm talking about allowing 10 baserunners in his last 5.2 innings. Eventually, those hurt, and they have...he's allowed 3 ER in those 5.2 innings. I'm not saying he won't be the guy nor am I saying he won't do a great job as the closer...his overall numbers are still great. But his recent stretch does make me pay closer attention. 

• Like 1