• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kelvin Herrera - Alex Colome Owners Support Group  

Parker getting set before the pitch...  

This is the laziness that frustrates many of us, and just adds to a thread that is already difficult for many people to read through. It’s only 2 pages, and question was asked and answered one page be

Posted Images

3 hours ago, 9703 said:

Fernando Rodney with another save. The legend.

I have never owned Rodney a day in my life but have owned numerous,  countless next-in-line relievers working under him.  Rodney owns me and I think he owns you too...

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, ragrag said:

SirAnthony in bottom of the ninth in a nonsave situation.  Just getting a little work in? or not the closer : /

I would say getting work since he hasn't pitched in 5 days, and he's still hasn't given up a run or walk

Kela is now 14 for 14, striking out the side.  I think he's another that has firmly put his early season struggles (in non-save situations with Kela) behind him.

16 minutes ago, chrisrfu said:

Soria with the save. Hasn't earned a run in 7.1 IP. Heard in the broadcast that his arm slot is lower (around 3/4th) and thus he's been effective as of late. Been learning from James Shields.

Also has only allowed 2 hits and a walk in those 7.1 innings, with 8 Ks. He might have slotted himself right back into the closer role for the ChiSox, whatever that's worth. I see they have 12 saves for the season as a team. How many save opps have they had...legit 9th inning save opps? 

15 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Kela is now 14 for 14, striking out the side.  I think he's another that has firmly put his early season struggles (in non-save situations with Kela) behind him.

Yea good call. Kela had two brutal games, both in non save situations like you said. He probably "let up", but when the chips are down this guy has been good. He was a HUGE sleeper coming into the year and has proven those owners who drafted him damn shrewd. I've only watched Kela a few times, but he has a really cocky demeanor about him, arrogant even and while that won't win congeniality contests, it works for high level pro athletes. I think Texas has a winner with this kid.

17 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Clean inning for Barraclough for the save. No Ks, which I don't like, but it seems like a good start to his new role as closer. 

Agreed but he got the job done and that’s all that matters as this is his first save as closer. Let’s hope to see those k’s next few outings though. 

Edited by bronxbombers723
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, bronxbombers723 said:

Agreed but he got the job done and that’s all that matters as this is his first save as closer. Let’s hope to see those k’s next few outings though. 

He hasn't had a multi-K game since April 28. Since then, he's only struck out 6 in 14.2 innings and has failed to strike out a batter in 9 of 15 outings. He hasn't given up a run in that stretch and allowed only 3 hits (but 7 walks), so he's doing something right at the moment. Still a little disconcerting for a guy who K'd 113 just two seasons ago. 

• Like 3

Do my eyes deceive me  or does Melancon actually look pretty good?  He's only thrown 2 innings so far but he's got 5 k's in those 2 innings. I pretty much pronounced him dead for fantasy purposes earlier in the year and Strickland hasn't really done anything to lose the job but it's something to keep an eye on nonetheless.

• Like 2
Just now, Bill Blazejowski said:

Do my eyes deceive me  or does Melancon actually look pretty good?  He's only thrown 2 innings so far but he's got 5 k's in those 2 innings. I pretty much pronounced him dead for fantasy purposes earlier in the year and Strickland hasn't really done anything to lose the job but it's something to keep an eye on nonetheless.

Yea so far he looks great. 

4 hours ago, ragrag said:

SirAnthony in bottom of the ninth in a nonsave situation.  Just getting a little work in? or not the closer : /

He isn't the closer. He hasn't been the closer. He will continue to get some occasional saves. He'll continue to pitch in the 7th or 8th innings when they have a lead but are facing the toughest part of the opposing lineup in a dangerous spot. It's a true committee for the foreseeable future. 

I still want Seranthony above the others for the amazing ratios.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

He isn't the closer. He hasn't been the closer. He will continue to get some occasional saves. He'll continue to pitch in the 7th or 8th innings when they have a lead but are facing the toughest part of the opposing lineup in a dangerous spot. It's a true committee for the foreseeable future. 

I still want Seranthony above the others for the amazing ratios.

I’d actually say if you look at usage, it points to Siranthony being the closer in Philly. He had the last save (2 inning) and phillies had no save chances since. He hadn’t pitched in a few days so was just getting in work last night. Also, Edubray pitched the 8th. ALSO, Neris has given up runs in 4 straight appearances. And while he may be called on in 7th or 8th sometimes and may not get every save chance, for all intents and purposes he is the closer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jvfantasy said:

I’d actually say if you look at usage, it points to Siranthony being the closer in Philly. He had the last save (2 inning) and phillies had no save chances since. He hadn’t pitched in a few days so was just getting in work last night. Also, Edubray pitched the 8th. ALSO, Neris has given up runs in 4 straight appearances. And while he may be called on in 7th or 8th sometimes and may not get every save chance, for all intents and purposes he is the closer.

Most of the list makers think it's a committee that Siranthony is leading.  Some have gone so far as to say Neris is 3rd in line now which I'm not so sure abt.   All speculation really though.  We can't be sure until he's getting 3/4 of the save ops for a couple of weeks or is named by Kapler.

One thing is certain, he's making as solid of an argument as one can for the job and Neris is helping with his inconsistency.  It's getting to the point  that every blown Neris save is partly on Kapler and he's got to know that by now.  SP eligible potential closer in some formats so could be a kingmaker if the stars align.

Edited by ragrag
  • Like 1

The Phillies will likely continue to utilize a Closer-By-Committee approach for the foreseeable future. Kapler hadn't seemed eager to designate a sole stopper for the 9th inning,  even before the '18 campaign (& Neris's struggles) began, and doesn't seem overly interested in assigning any single player to that role now.     

Similar to how the Brewers used Hader in Knebel's absence, the Phils, knowing that Seranthony is their best bullpen option, will  deploy Dominguez against the better parts of oppositions lineups in the latter parts of a game, whether in the 7th, 8th or 9th innings.  

With an increase in teams adopting this/similar strategy, closer situations are trending in a murkier direction than ever before.

I'd certainly want shares of Dominguez (especially in Dynasty) over Neris, Ramos, or Garcia at this point, but I also wouldn't start him confidently expecting consistent saves at present. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Just like Elliot though, Osuna is going to burn up a bench spot on your team for eternity, with the hope that you get a couple games out of him late in the season.  But I guess that all comes down to league and roster construction.

Unlike Elliot, however, there seems to be a lot more damning evidence against Osuna.  I think his chances of getting out of this unscathed are slim to none.  Cops were called during the altercation and showed up right away, with all of the physical evidence right there in front of them.  The only thing more damning would be video evidence ala Ray Rice.

I picked him up and dropped DesCalsco, so for me that's a free-roll. I'm hoping that Osuna can file motions to have the case delayed- even if he gets me two periods worth of games I would take it, then hopefully Andrew Miller is back from the DL for me. 

1 minute ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

I picked him up and dropped DesCalsco, so for me that's a free-roll. I'm hoping that Osuna can file motions to have the case delayed- even if he gets me two periods worth of games I would take it, then hopefully Andrew Miller is back from the DL for me. 

That's all fine, but just an FYI, the MLB's investigation and suspension has nothing to do with the legal proceedings.  MLB can suspend him even if charges are dropped tomorrow, if they still feel like it.  And if anything I feel like having the case delayed will mean Osuna is out longer - MLB isn't going to just say "aww shucks, come back and play while we finish sorting this out!" - that's why he's on administrative leave to begin with.  He's going to stay on admin leave until they come to a decision on the suspension, and if the case or evidence is delayed then it's going to delay the MLB's process as well.

• Like 1

This  Osuna conjecture is a bit wishful thinking.  If you have a stash spot i guess its whatever,  but him coming back this season has to be sub 5% odds

I highly doubt Osuna will be put on administrative leave all year also that scenario sounds just as crazy as him coming back to pitch. Reality is most people have some dead weight on their roster so picking up Osuna and hoping for the best is a very low risk high reward type of move.

Edited by sjs1890