NBC Sports Edge Forums

June Closer Thread 2018

14 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

This  Osuna conjecture is a bit wishful thinking.  If you have a stash spot i guess its whatever,  but him coming back this season has to be sub 5% odds

If he takes a plea, and MLB makes a decision less damning just to err on the safe side (and not wrongly discipline someone), he could get a ban that might have him back by august/september. I think it's worth the risk. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kelvin Herrera - Alex Colome Owners Support Group  

Parker getting set before the pitch...  

This is the laziness that frustrates many of us, and just adds to a thread that is already difficult for many people to read through. It’s only 2 pages, and question was asked and answered one page be

Posted Images

can we take the osuna stuff to his individual thread?

lots of clutter speculating about him specifically and hes not even pitching

if tepera or someone is mentioned as well in a post about osuna ok but otherwise no point in cluttering this thread

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

can we take the osuna stuff to his individual thread?

lots of clutter speculating about him specifically and hes not even pitching

I actually agree wholeheartedly. The Osuna stuff can be taken to his player thread until he become a factor in the Toronto bullpen again. 

• Like 1

So what are we making of Soria getting the save last night...anything or nothing? Was it because he's taking the role back...or was it because Jones was unavailable...or was it because Jones has not been very good? 

Normally, I wouldn't want to get into the ChiSox bullpen situation too much, but Soria has looked very good over his last 7 outings. 

9 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

So what are we making of Soria getting the save last night...anything or nothing? Was it because he's taking the role back...or was it because Jones was unavailable...or was it because Jones has not been very good? 

Normally, I wouldn't want to get into the ChiSox bullpen situation too much, but Soria has looked very good over his last 7 outings. 

Jones blew the save in Game 1. Makes sense for a manager not to deploy him for Game 2.

Soria has been pretty consistent in the last 7 outings. Jones and Fry hasn't looked good as of recent. He's changed his arm slot and that's helped him be effective.

Also to note, when he was brought in the eighth after Fry+Rodon got the second out, it took Soria a 3 pitch strikeout to end the threat of runner on 1st and 3rd. Almost had a clean inning in the 9th but allowed a hit with 2 outs.

Edited by chrisrfu

It made no sense that Soria was taken out of the role in the first place (mentioned it a few times in the May thread). He was quietly great all year but had gotten SUPER unlucky in a very small sample size. Why did they give him the role in the first place if they were  just going to take him out after 6 flukey innings.

That said, even a huge Soria backer like myself doesn't see him as a must-own anymore.

- There's probably no reliever in baseball more likely to be traded than him.

- I usually don't care about the team but the WSox legitimately won't win many games/get save opportunities.

- The WSox have shown they're very willing to yo-yo Soria out of the role. They're probably just as thirsty to showcase Jones and/or Rondon for trade bait so any Soria slip-up means he's pulled and even if he's fine they may switch him anyway.

All adds to very little upside.

But I'm glad his k/BB ratio is getting attention. He looks totally different from the past few seasons.

Just now, pedubwitat said:

Anything to make of Venters starting today for the Rays instead of Romo?  Romo to closer?

I wouldn't own any Rays relievers in mixed leagues. And I play in very competitive deep leagues that chase saves. The Rays will drive you mad. I initially figured they would latch onto Alvarado or Roe since they've always had a traditional closer but ever since the Colome trade they've been pretty clear about using guys in every role. They've had save opps (and even more leads entering the 7th+ innings) and have continually altered the roles. 

I would much rather have a good ratio middle reliever or speculate on Herrera+Greene trades (with Adam and Jimenez) than burn roster spots on the Rays.

Gun to my head in AL-only, right now Romo does look like the favourite but it really seems that every game could be a different save candidate.

• Like 1

Any update on Bucs and Rays situations? I own Alvarado and I think Crick is now owned but I'm not sure what's going on there.

One of them (Rivero) is pitching terribly and the other team doesn't seem to have a closer yet.

Rodney is now my most reliable RP smh. Really is no off and on. Still bringing the heat though. Amazing for a 40+ year old.

The Jones HR allowed was terrible. I wasn't paying attn yesterday but looks like he got the first 2 guys out before collapsing. And then throws a tailing fb right over the heart of the plate on 1-2. He was aiming for the outside corner I guess...

35 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Is Strickland in any danger of losing the closer job to Melancon? 

Not right now  

It will all come down what happens in a week or two or a month etc... 

On 6/5/2018 at 7:57 AM, CharlieWhitehurst said:

I put in a waiver request for him today, and thinking the same you are thinking. Even if the case gets moved (kind of like E. Elliott), can get good value out of him. 

Even if the legal charges are dropped can't MLB suspend him anyway?  Jose Reyes was suspended over an alleged domestic assault where his wife dropped the charges.

Chapman was never convicted either I believe.

The leave is just the Blue Jays way of not letting him play for PR reasons much the way of a policeman that is charged with an infraction.

1 minute ago, Low and Away said:

Even if the legal charges are dropped can't MLB suspend him anyway?  Jose Reyes was suspended over an alleged domestic assault where his wife dropped the charges.

Chapman was never convicted either I believe.

The leave is just the Blue Jays way of not letting him play for PR reasons much the way of a policeman that is charged with an infraction.

Chapman was never even charged. And he still got 30 games from MLB.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PPolanco said:

It made no sense that Soria was taken out of the role in the first place (mentioned it a few times in the May thread). He was quietly great all year but had gotten SUPER unlucky in a very small sample size. Why did they give him the role in the first place if they were  just going to take him out after 6 flukey innings.

That said, even a huge Soria backer like myself doesn't see him as a must-own anymore.

- There's probably no reliever in baseball more likely to be traded than him.

- I usually don't care about the team but the WSox legitimately won't win many games/get save opportunities.

- The WSox have shown they're very willing to yo-yo Soria out of the role. They're probably just as thirsty to showcase Jones and/or Rondon for trade bait so any Soria slip-up means he's pulled and even if he's fine they may switch him anyway.

All adds to very little upside.

But I'm glad his k/BB ratio is getting attention. He looks totally different from the past few seasons.

I was wondering if they were trying to showcase both Soria and Jones and try and deal them both, a la A's last year.

Not really a closer comment, for MLB at least, but keep your eyes on D-Backs Jimmie Sherfy. In his last 11 innings in AAA he has 8 saves, given up 1 run and has struck out 26 of the 33 possible outs. Do not know why he isn't in Arizona, but he is an arm to keep your eye on. Not necessarily young (26), but a pitcher who may end up in higher leverage situations at some point, if not in Arizona somewhere else. It's clear he has nothing left to prove in AAA as a closer/setup guy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I would definitely grab him if he's available

4 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Jones pitched in Game 1 of the double header, plus he sucked in that game. 

51 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Anything thinking about Gsellman after that last L for Familia or too early?

Not sure who’s worse, Calloway or Cash... Gsellman has gotta be a must add in leagues where he’s available though