NBC Sports Edge Forums

Geronimo Allison 2018 Outlook

3 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

And MVS is more talented. Allison's injury allowed MVS to build chemistry with Rodgers and that's the key to succeeding in Green Bay's offence. 

G-Mo has more chemistry and trust with Rodgers than MVS. I saw Rodgers cussing out MVS twice on live TV this year to teach and correct his mistakes.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, austin316 said:

G-Mo has more chemistry and trust with Rodgers than MVS. I saw Rodgers cussing MVS twice on live TV this year to teach and correct his mistakes.

I saw that too and that was MVS's first start. That's exactly my point and is how you build chemistry with Rodgers. Rodgers obviously trusts MVS now.  

4 minutes ago, austin316 said:

He screamed at him on MNF vs SF as well.

But yeah you're correct. Their rapport has improved. Geronimo is locked in and can run every route, but I get and agree with your point.

How do you think you build chemistry with someone?  Through communication.  Rodgers is like that with all his new receivers. 

18 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

How do you think you build chemistry with someone?  Through communication.  Rodgers is like that with all his new receivers. 

No ish Sherlock.

I agreed with you.

My point was Geronimo is past all that. He is a consummate professional and knows what he's doing. Helps the team in other ways as well, like blocking a punt earlier this year.

11 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

I didn't get to watch any games today. But by looking at stats this reminds me of a straight up WR committee outside of adams. Even missing a couple of games hurts you in this league if you aren't a proven put to the test stud.

It seems like they are in a transition period of trying to phase in MVS and ESB and phase out Allison and Cobb (not that Allison ever did much in the first place). I think the only potential for a second WR in this offense is if a true breakout occurs in the former. I think it's pretty clear they envision Adams, MVS, and ESB as their future at the position.

3 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

It seems like they are in a transition period of trying to phase in MVS and ESB and phase out Allison and Cobb (not that Allison ever did much in the first place). I think the only potential for a second WR in this offense is if a true breakout occurs in the former. I think it's pretty clear they envision Adams, MVS, and ESB as their future at the position.

Cobb is gone after this season and I believe Allison is a EFA after this year , so I can see that vision

5 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

This is a lot to read into the usage in 1 game.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I don't think we can really get much of a glimpse into how GB envisions the future at WR from a single game, which was Allison's first back after a long layoff. I haven't seen an official snap count yet, but it sounds like Allison still played a large amount of snaps.  MVS made the big 40 yard TD play late in the game, but before that play he was also 1 catch for 5 yards.  Do you really think one 40 yard TD is going to change the team's entire outlook at WR going forward?  Maybe, but seems like a bit of a stretch.  And ESB was 2 catches for 31 yards.  

I'm not saying the game wasn't disappointing for Allison, and it certianly gives reason for concern.  But I'd also be careful 'over-reading' the tea leaves here.  This was a strange game against a good defense, first game back, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an uptick in targets in a more normal game flow (and once Allison gets his legs under him.  Don't forget, Allison was a limited participant in practice all of last week, never got in a full practice. 

6 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

I think GB is trying to make the playoffs so I doubt if they are transitioning to the 'future' at this point.

MVS earned playing time with his performance with Allison/cobb out.  

Both Allison and Cobb had limited practices all week so are working themselves back in, so it doesnt make sense to sit the healthy rookies who have been performing and remove them from the gameplan entirely. 

Going forward i would assume less target share for Allison and he will be more reliant on big plays than any significant volume uptick as Rodgers mobility increases

Snap counts are out now, total 52 offensive snaps:

Adams 40, MVS 31, Allison 30, Cobb 24, ESB 6.

The snap split is much more even than the box score really shows.  Disappointing for sure to see MVS right up there in snaps with Allison (for Allison owners that is), but as dashoe suggested, it was first game back for guys that were limited in practice all week.  

10 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

They're not purposely phasing anyone out. They want to win, so whoever is healthy and capable enough to do that will get the snaps and the ball.

I'm not defending or predicting future success... This is a "wait and see" situation, but...

Don't forget G-Mo came off a concussion and hammy. Sure, he had some time to recover, but those things are no joke

Archived